Working holiday visa?

Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Keilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday visa?

Hello,

My partner and I are both UK citizens, and we are currently living in Australia on a 1 year working holiday visa. We have set up home, both are working and having a ball. But I would love to try it in the US.
The time we would be looking to go to the US (if possible) would be at the end of 2011/start of 2012.
We would also be a married couple by then, (not sure if this matters but thought I would give as much info as poss).
The plan would be move to say NY, get an apartment, find work and live there for 6 months, visiting the east coast, then move over to the west coast for the next 6 months, then fly home back to the UK.
I am a Carpet fitter/floor layer in the UK, and that is what I am currently doing in OZ, and my fiancee is working in admin at the moment.
Is it possible to get a working visa for us to have a working holiday over in the US? I have been reading about the H1B/H2B Visas, and although I don't think I would be eligible for the H1B (lack of degree, and probably wrong field of work) would I be eligible for the H2B? or is there any other way that I haven't found that would help with our proposed plan? We would also have a cash sum of £20k in our bank (I read somewhere that you may need to show that you have money to support yourself)
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
K
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday visa?

Originally Posted by Keilo
Is it possible to get a working visa for us to have a working holiday over in the US?
No
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I think the only thing you can do to get over and work for a while is the camp america stuff

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/

it pays barely anything but you get free food and lodgings.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Never heard of a working holiday visa Is this like welfare ?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Never heard of a working holiday visa Is this like welfare ?
If you are unfamiliar with a visa, perhaps you should do some research about it first... before posting!

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US does not have a working holiday visa.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

But if you are interested in North American in general you might want to try: http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx.

The Open Work Authorisation Visa is valid for 12 Months from the date of entry to Canada and available to British passport holders. If you search in the Canadian forum you will find posts relating to Bunac.