work on H4 visa

Old May 7th 2018, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

stoyleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work on H4 visa

Hi, I'm currently working in the US on a H1B visa - my wife has H4.
I'm struggling to find a definitive answer as to whether my wife can apply for the right work - it seems possible but only under certain conditions, but I don't really understand those conditions.
Any advice anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 7th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all
Default Re: work on H4 visa

What stage are you at in the green card process
Old May 7th 2018, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

I have not started that process - we only moved here in Dec so I'm guessing I can't start it just yet?
Old May 7th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

I believe your spouse can not apply for an EAD until you have an approved I140
Old May 7th 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

So I140 is the application for greeen card?
Old May 7th 2018, 6:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoyleg
So I140 is the application for greeen card?
No, the I-140 is only a portion of the green card process. The I-485 is the actual application for the green card.

Your wife cannot currently work.

Rene
Old May 7th 2018, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

The H-4 EAD is only useful for people born in countries with a backlog of green card applicants - primarily China and India. It's not relevant in your situation, and if you were born in the UK then even when going through the green card process it's not the route you would use to get an EAD.
Old May 7th 2018, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.
So just to clarify, there's no way my wife can work in our current situation?
Presumably I can't start the application process for green card until close to expiry of my H1B visa?
Old May 7th 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoyleg
So just to clarify, there's no way my wife can work in our current situation?
Correct.

Presumably I can't start the application process for green card until close to expiry of my H1B visa?
It can be started at any point but your employer is the one who needs to file for you.
Old May 7th 2018, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Perfect thank you
Old May 7th 2018, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

You need to know if your employer will file for I140 petition and the route they are going to take
Only they can give you this information
It is likely at least 7 months from now, before wife will have an EAD and never if employer are not going to file for you
Old May 7th 2018, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Understood, thanks.
Old May 8th 2018, 2:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She can also find an Employer to sponsor her for a work visa.