Work Authorization Question

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 5:40 am
Lindsay

Default Work Authorization Question

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of filling out all the paperwork (with my US citizen
fiance, of course) for him to file for my K-1 visa petition. I think we've got
everything set up...but I do have a question about being able to work.

I had initially assumed that I would have to be IN the US before I could apply for
temporary work authorization, and that I would have to apply again after AOS to PR
after marriage. Now I am reading that it is possible that my passport will be stamped
at POE allowing me to work for the 90 days of the visa. I found a list online (I
can't remember where) that showed different US POEs and whether or not the passport
was stamped to allow work. My confusion, then, begins here.

I have travelled several times to the US, and I don't know exactly what the POE would
be. I go through customs in Toronto, generally, at the beginning of the second leg of
the flight--to Atlanta. Would they stamp my visa there, if they were to stamp it at
all, or would it be done in Atlanta? So is my POE in Toronto, or is it considered to
be at my final destination (Atlanta)?

Any answers will be very much appreciated--thanks in advance!

Lindsay

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 7:40 am
Shelley

Default Re: Work Authorization Question

Since you are traveling from Toronto and will have your inspection at the airport
there, that is your POE. Take Care. Shelley

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone! I'm in the process of filling out all the paperwork (with my US
    > citizen fiance, of course) for him to file for my K-1 visa petition. I think we've
    > got everything set up...but I do have a question about being able to work.
    >
    > I had initially assumed that I would have to be IN the US before I could apply for
    > temporary work authorization, and that I would have to apply
again
    > after AOS to PR after marriage. Now I am reading that it is possible that my
    > passport will be stamped at POE allowing me to work for the 90 days of the visa. I
    > found a list online (I can't remember where) that showed different US POEs and
    > whether or not the passport was stamped to allow
work.
    > My confusion, then, begins here.
    >
    > I have travelled several times to the US, and I don't know exactly what
the
    > POE would be. I go through customs in Toronto, generally, at the
beginning
    > of the second leg of the flight--to Atlanta. Would they stamp my visa there, if
    > they were to stamp it at all, or would it be done in Atlanta?
So
    > is my POE in Toronto, or is it considered to be at my final destination (Atlanta)?
    >
    > Any answers will be very much appreciated--thanks in advance!
    >
    > Lindsay

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 11:10 am
Gavin.McCormack

Hi Lindsay,

You clear customs and excise in Toronto before you make the second leg (or third or
whatever). At Atlanta, you may go through customs again, but as you already have
the paperwork all they might do is give it a quick once over. Its basically the
same as entering the US on a visa waiver as I did last time and entered through
Toronto. The POE is Toronto, as you will be in the US before you next touch down. I
can't help regarding the work autorisation I am afraid and would be interested if
anyone else can.

G

Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone! I'm in the process of filling out all the paperwork (with my US
    > citizen fiance, of course) for him to file for my K-1 visa petition. I think we've
    > got everything set up...but I do have a question about being able to work.
    >
    > I had initially assumed that I would have to be IN the US before I could apply for
    > temporary work authorization, and that I would have to apply
again
    > after AOS to PR after marriage. Now I am reading that it is possible that my
    > passport will be stamped at POE allowing me to work for the 90 days of the visa. I
    > found a list online (I can't remember where) that showed different US POEs and
    > whether or not the passport was stamped to allow
work.
    > My confusion, then, begins here.
    >
    > I have travelled several times to the US, and I don't know exactly what
the
    > POE would be. I go through customs in Toronto, generally, at the
beginning
    > of the second leg of the flight--to Atlanta. Would they stamp my visa there, if
    > they were to stamp it at all, or would it be done in Atlanta?
So
    > is my POE in Toronto, or is it considered to be at my final destination (Atlanta)?
    >
    > Any answers will be very much appreciated--thanks in advance!
    >
    > Lindsay

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 8:40 pm
Herman

If you are going to Atlanta, could you not just go to INS there, and have them stamp
your Visa with a work authorization? If you explain that the POE at Toronto didn't
stamp it because they couldn't, perhaps they can do it for you. Worth a try.

William

"Bea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ws.com>...
    > > Since you are traveling from Toronto and will have your inspection at
the
    > > airport there, that is your POE. Take Care. Shelley
    > >
    >
    > And Toronto Pearson does not do any work stamps. I used my K1 at Toronto Pearson
    > airport. They dealt with the brown envelope and did everything they were supposed
    > to, but they don't do the work auth. They had some explanation for it when I asked
    > - something like "Technically, we are not a Port of Entry, so we don't do those." I
    > can't remember what they said they were. Anyway. So it just means you apply for the
    > 90 day EAD in the US city where you will be residing.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 6:11 am
Lindsay

Thanks, Herman!! You know, I'm really not sure! I guess it IS worth a try...but
certainly other people in my situation have come from Canada and gone through US
customs HERE! Ack...any other help? )

"Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > If you are going to Atlanta, could you not just go to INS there, and have them
    > stamp your Visa with a work authorization? If you explain that the
POE
    > at Toronto didn't stamp it because they couldn't, perhaps they can do it
for
    > you. Worth a try.
    >
    > William
    >
    > "Bea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] ws.com>...
    > > > Since you are traveling from Toronto and will have your inspection at
    > the
    > > > airport there, that is your POE. Take Care. Shelley
    > > >
    > >
    > > And Toronto Pearson does not do any work stamps. I used my K1 at Toronto Pearson
    > > airport. They dealt with the brown envelope and did everything they were supposed
    > > to, but they don't do the work auth. They had some explanation for it when I
    > > asked - something like "Technically, we are not a Port of Entry, so we don't do
    > > those." I can't remember what they said they were. Anyway. So it just means you
    > > apply for the 90 day EAD in the US city where you will be residing.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 2:40 pm
Shelley

All flights coming from Canada have US customs/INS inspection in the airport in
Canada. Take Care. Shelley

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:mhMx8.12389$n%[email protected]...
    > Thanks, Herman!! You know, I'm really not sure! I guess it IS worth a try...but
    > certainly other people in my situation have come from Canada and gone through US
    > customs HERE! Ack...any other help? )
    >
    > "Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > If you are going to Atlanta, could you not just go to INS there, and
have
    > > them stamp your Visa with a work authorization? If you explain that the
    > POE
    > > at Toronto didn't stamp it because they couldn't, perhaps they can do it
    > for
    > > you. Worth a try.
    > >
    > > William
    > >
    > > "Bea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected] ws.com>...
    > > > > Since you are traveling from Toronto and will have your inspection
at
    > > the
    > > > > airport there, that is your POE. Take Care. Shelley
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > And Toronto Pearson does not do any work stamps. I used my K1 at Toronto
    > > > Pearson airport. They dealt with the brown envelope and did everything they
    > > > were supposed to, but they don't do the work auth. They had some explanation
    > > > for it when I asked - something like "Technically, we are not a Port of Entry,
    > > > so we don't do those." I can't remember what they said they were. Anyway. So it
    > > > just means you apply for the 90 day EAD in the US city where you will be
    > > > residing.
    > >
    >

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 pm
Bea

"Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ws.com>...
    > Since you are traveling from Toronto and will have your inspection at the airport
    > there, that is your POE. Take Care. Shelley
    >

And Toronto Pearson does not do any work stamps. I used my K1 at Toronto Pearson
airport. They dealt with the brown envelope and did everything they were supposed to,
but they don't do the work auth. They had some explanation for it when I asked -
something like "Technically, we are not a Port of Entry, so we don't do those." I
can't remember what they said they were. Anyway. So it just means you apply for the
90 day EAD in the US city where you will be residing.