Vaccination Query

Old Apr 25th 2002, 5:10 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Default Vaccination Query

Hi again all.

Ok i got a vaccination record from my GP. Problem is simple.....it does not show I
have had innoculations for Mumps, measles or rubella.......even though my mother
guarantees me she got them all done for all her kids when we were nippers. Now it is
a totally different GP from where I received those jabs. Anyone got any idea how I
can get verification i received those in order to prevent me from getting the MMR,
when it seems kind of unecessary. Also will my GP be able to give a written
confirmation that I had the pox.....eh chicken pox that is. Also why doesn't any
innoculations received in accident and emergency show up on the vaccination record
and does this matter....i.e tetanus, which I got after losing a boxing match with a
dog.....although I have had a booster more recently also.

Thanks for this most confusing and difficult of situations to sort out prior to
interview.

Den Murray

Default Re: Vaccination Query

Gavin

I'm assuming that you are in the UK.

Your GP (or more probably the practice nurse) can get a blood test done on the NHS
for you that will confirm whether you have antibodies to Mumps, Measles and Rubella
(German Measles). This will confirm whether you have been exposed to any of these
diseases (either by previous inoculations or by having had them) and will be
sufficient to confirm that you do not need further inoculations. You do not need a
varicella (sp?) (Chicken Pox) inoculation for the US if you are based in the UK.

Cheers

Den

"gavin.mccormack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi again all.
    >
    > Ok i got a vaccination record from my GP. Problem is simple.....it does
not
    > show I have had innoculations for Mumps, measles or rubella.......even though my
    > mother guarantees me she got them all done for all her kids when we were nippers.
    > Now it is a totally different GP from where I received those jabs. Anyone got any
    > idea how I can get verification i received
those
    > in order to prevent me from getting the MMR, when it seems kind of unecessary. Also
    > will my GP be able to give a written confirmation that I had the pox.....eh chicken
    > pox that is. Also why doesn't any innoculations received in accident and emergency
    > show up on the vaccination record and does this matter....i.e tetanus, which I got
    > after losing a boxing match with a dog.....although I have had a booster more
    > recently also.
    >
    > Thanks for this most confusing and difficult of situations to sort out
prior
    > to interview.

Jb

Den Murray wrote:
    >
    > Gavin
    >
    > I'm assuming that you are in the UK.
    >
[ ... ]
    > further inoculations. You do not need a varicella (sp?) (Chicken Pox) inoculation
    > for the US if you are based in the UK.

... because the varicella vaccine is not available in the UK.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

> You do not need a varicella (sp?) (Chicken Pox) inoculation
> for the US if you are based in the UK.
>
> ... because the varicella vaccine is not available in the UK.

All correct.

When I went through the process six months ago, this was not a problem.

Let the docs see you and if the requirement is that you get an innoculation, they'll tell you and you can get it here in the US.

Brian.
Old Apr 25th 2002, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Den Murray
Gavin

Your GP (or more probably the practice nurse) can get a blood test done on the NHS
for you that will confirm whether you have antibodies to Mumps, Measles and Rubella
(German Measles).
Don't expect to get this done "on the NHS" - it would be private work and a lot more expensive than having the vaccine privately. The only thing that would be covered by the NHS is the tetanus (Td) vaccine, because this is routine in the UK anyway. Some GPs will give you the MMR for free, but they don't have to (and are a bit naive if they do).
Old Apr 25th 2002, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by brianr

Let the docs see you and if the requirement is that you get an innoculation, they'll tell you and you can get it here in the US.
My understanding is that there is no vaccination requirement for AOS if your medical is completed in the UK, ie you have met the full vaccination requirements for immigrants from the UK - basically MMR and Td. If you leave this portion of the medical open, then you are subject to the much broader vaccination requirements in the US, which typically includes a 6-month course of Hepatitus B and the Varivax.
Old Apr 25th 2002, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gavin.McCormack
Ok i got a vaccination record from my GP. Problem is simple.....it does not show I
have had innoculations for Mumps, measles or rubella.......even though my mother
guarantees me she got them all done for all her kids when we were nippers. Now it is
a totally different GP from where I received those jabs. Anyone got any idea how I
can get verification i received those in order to prevent me from getting the MMR,
when it seems kind of unecessary. Also will my GP be able to give a written
confirmation that I had the pox.....eh chicken pox that is. Also why doesn't any
innoculations received in accident and emergency show up on the vaccination record
and does this matter....i.e tetanus, which I got after losing a boxing match with a
dog.....although I have had a booster more recently also.

You may be able to dig up some of the missing information by actually going through your medical notes. Whether or not you have had all the vaccinations depends largely on your age and what they were offering in your health authority at the time. If you didn't get a jab for something, there's a good chance that you actually suffered the disease and this should be on your records if you were taken to the doctors at the time. If you are relying on medical records, a straight photocopy with the practice stamp will do fine (it did for me).

Chicken pox isn't an issue for UK residents - the vaccine isn't available for people without a medical need (which is typically neonatal varicella). If you are required at AOS to prove your chicken pox status, an excerp from your medical records or a chicken pox scar should suffice.

For your tetanus, A&E should have sent a letter to your GP and, as you have already observed, it is unlikely that this information would have made it into your juvenile vaccination records. If this letter still exists, then that would be enough.
Old Apr 25th 2002, 8:40 pm
Mister Heartbre

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>
    > Don't expect to get this done "on the NHS" - it would be private work and a lot
    > more expensive than having the vaccine privately. The only thing that would be
    > covered by the NHS is the tetanus (Td) vaccine, because this is routine in the UK
    > anyway. Some GPs will give you the MMR for free, but they don't have to (and are a
    > bit naive if they do).
    >

I practically had to get down on my knees and beg for the MMR. They won't give it to
an adult as a matter of course (most surgeries aren't even licenced to do so). I was
lucky in that I got special dispensation from the doctor. Either that or they got
sick of the sight of me (I know which one I believe!).

Dave.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 11:40 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Thanks folks. I know I am covered for tetanus and diptheria and polio.....all
boosters done recently. My only problem was Measles, mumps and rubella which I got
done way back in the infant stages. Just seems I can't find a official record of
them. Will go back to doctor (he will be pleased lol) and see if he can search for
me, and also get confirmation that as a child I scratched myself to death with
chicken pox...but worth it to miss school as I remember.

Thanks for the great response to this post. G

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Gavin.McCormack wrote:
    > > Ok i got a vaccination record from my GP. Problem is simple.....it
does
    > > not show I have had innoculations for Mumps, measles or rubella.......even
    > > though my mother guarantees me she got them all
done
    > > for all her kids when we were nippers. Now it is a totally different
GP
    > > from where I received those jabs. Anyone got any idea how I can get
    > > verification i received those in order to prevent me from getting the MMR, when
    > > it seems kind of unecessary. Also will my GP be able to give
a
    > > written confirmation that I had the pox.....eh chicken pox that is.
Also
    > > why doesn't any innoculations received in accident and emergency show
up
    > > on the vaccination record and does this matter....i.e tetanus, which I got
    > > after losing a boxing match with a dog.....although I have had a booster more
    > > recently also.
    >
    >
    >
    > You may be able to dig up some of the missing information by actually going through
    > your medical notes. Whether or not you have had all the vaccinations depends
    > largely on your age and what they were offering in your health authority at the
    > time. If you didn't get a jab for something, there's a good chance that you
    > actually suffered the disease and this should be on your records if you were taken
    > to the doctors at the time. If you are relying on medical records, a straight
    > photocopy with the practice stamp will do fine (it did for me).
    >
    > Chicken pox isn't an issue for UK residents - the vaccine isn't available for
    > people without a medical need (which is typically neonatal varicella). If you are
    > required at AOS to prove your chicken pox status, an excerp from your medical
    > records or a chicken pox scar should suffice.
    >
    > For your tetanus, A&E should have sent a letter to your GP and, as you have
    > already observed, it is unlikely that this information would have made it into
    > your juvenile vaccination records. If this letter still exists, then that would
    > be enough.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 26th 2002, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ameriscot

My understanding is that there is no vaccination requirement for AOS if your medical is completed in the UK, ie you have met the full vaccination requirements for immigrants from the UK - basically MMR and Td. If you leave this portion of the medical open, then you are subject to the much broader vaccination requirements in the US, which typically includes a 6-month course of Hepatitus B and the Varivax.

AOS in the US if you have gone over on a K-1 (I am assuming that), will normally mean that you have had everything done already. If you opted out of getting the jabs in the UK, then you made a mistake, although you can get them done here as well.

My 15 year old son needed the Hep jabs for his K-2... three shots in all (day 1, one month latter and then five months after that), and the six month due date for the last is next week.

Brian.
Old Apr 26th 2002, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

A 15-year old would need to get Hep B as part of the visa interview, even in London. This is not a case of "passing" the visa medical, yet still being incomplete for AOS.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Thanks guys again. I was hoping not to have to need another blood test as those
nurses have enough of my blood recently. I am trying to trace past GPS from childhood
to see if medical records can assist. I have 2 weeks to get this sorted or I guess
needles beckon my arm yet again lol. At the rate holes are appearing in my arm the
Embassy doc will think I am a regular user lol. Oh and yeah I am in the UK. This is
just a pain as I know I have had these jabs but evidencing it is becoming difficult.
I doubt my GP will have time to get me tested before the interview with waiting times
etc. Thanks though for the advice.

All advice helps G

Den Murray <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Gavin
    >
    >
    > Your GP (or more probably the practice nurse) can get a blood test done on the NHS
    > for you that will confirm whether you have antibodies to Mumps, Measles and Rubella
    > (German Measles). This will confirm whether you have been exposed to any of these
    > diseases (either by previous inoculations or
by
    > having had them) and will be sufficient to confirm that you do not need further
    > inoculations. You do not need a varicella (sp?) (Chicken Pox) inoculation for the
    > US if you are based in the UK.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Den
    >
    >
    > "gavin.mccormack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi again all.
    > >
    > > Ok i got a vaccination record from my GP. Problem is simple.....it does
    > not
    > > show I have had innoculations for Mumps, measles or rubella.......even though my
    > > mother guarantees me she got them all done for all her kids
when
    > > we were nippers. Now it is a totally different GP from where I received those
    > > jabs. Anyone got any idea how I can get verification i received
    > those
    > > in order to prevent me from getting the MMR, when it seems kind of unecessary.
    > > Also will my GP be able to give a written confirmation that
I
    > > had the pox.....eh chicken pox that is. Also why doesn't any
innoculations
    > > received in accident and emergency show up on the vaccination record and does
    > > this matter....i.e tetanus, which I got after losing a boxing match with a
    > > dog.....although I have had a booster more recently also.
    > >
    > > Thanks for this most confusing and difficult of situations to sort out
    > prior
    > > to interview.
    > >
    >