Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Wooohoo... got my citizenship finally!

Wooohoo... got my citizenship finally!

Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

bobolat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wooohoo... got my citizenship finally!

Went to the Newark office recently for both interview and oath the same day. Others have described the interview process in great detail in their posts so I won't bore ppl here. But here a few points worth mentioning.

Apparently, NJ is one of two states that conducts both interview and oath the same day. The other state is WA. The INS officer performing the oath ceremony told us this.

I also learned that it helps to show up early since the applications are put in a bin and assigned to officers on a first come first served basis. However, here's where luck comes into play as some officers conduct the interviews much faster than others.

I took tons of supporting material with me. None was needed! All they asked me for was my greencard and passport. The interview letter had asked me to bring eveidence of registration with the Selective Service but they did not even ask me for this.

For some reason they were very interested in my employment and I probably got asked the most questions around that.

My timeline is as follows:
priority date: early may 03
fp: early july 03
interview and oath: late apr 04

As of Apr 15, 2004, the "now processing " date for Newark is March 15 03.

Finally, thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice throughout. Goodluck to everyone!

-bobolat
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

citizen-cane has a brilliant futurecitizen-cane has a brilliant futurecitizen-cane has a brilliant futurecitizen-cane has a brilliant futurecitizen-cane has a brilliant futurecitizen-cane has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wooohoo... got my citizenship finally!

Originally posted by bobolat
Went to the Newark office recently for both interview and oath the same day. Others have described the interview process in great detail in their posts so I won't bore ppl here. But here a few points worth mentioning.

Apparently, NJ is one of two states that conducts both interview and oath the same day. The other state is WA. The INS officer performing the oath ceremony told us this.

I also learned that it helps to show up early since the applications are put in a bin and assigned to officers on a first come first served basis. However, here's where luck comes into play as some officers conduct the interviews much faster than others.

I took tons of supporting material with me. None was needed! All they asked me for was my greencard and passport. The interview letter had asked me to bring eveidence of registration with the Selective Service but they did not even ask me for this.

For some reason they were very interested in my employment and I probably got asked the most questions around that.

Finally, thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice throughout. Goodluck to everyone!

-bobolat

Congratulations bobolat! Absolutely great to know that Newark is still offering same day oath ceremonies. Makes so much sense. I look forward to becoming a US citizen in late June. Looks like Newark is definitely speeding up their processing times.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:30 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

-bobolat
You can check Selective Service registration online at www.ssa.gov. You punch in the person's social security number, last name, and DOB.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by crg14624
You can check Selective Service registration online at www.ssa.gov. You punch in the person's social security number, last name, and DOB.
Yeah I printed out the confirmation from their web site and took it with me but they never asked me for any evidence.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by citizen-cane
Congratulations bobolat! Absolutely great to know that Newark is still offering same day oath ceremonies. Makes so much sense. I look forward to becoming a US citizen in late June. Looks like Newark is definitely speeding up their processing times.
Thanks C-C! Goodluck with your interview! And be grateful each day that you live in NJ!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent work, bobolat. Congratulations to you. Interesting to hear about NJ being one of only two states that still do the interview and oath ceremonies on the same day. Obviously, that is a much better way to do it and it is probably a more personal experience than filling a room with a hundred or so.

-bobolat
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:59 pm
Amanda

Is there a meaning yo your username bobolat? It' interesting.

bobolat <member10871@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Went to the Newark office recently for both interview and oath the same
    > day. Others have described the interview process in great detail in
    > their posts so I won't bore ppl here. But here a few points worth
    > mentioning.
    >
    > Apparently, NJ is one of two states that conducts both
    > interview and oath the same day. The other state is WA. The INS officer
    > performing the oath ceremony told us this.
    >
    > I also learned that it
    > helps to show up early since the applications are put in a bin and
    > assigned to officers on a first come first served basis. However, here's
    > where luck comes into play as some officers conduct the interviews much
    > faster than others.
    >
    > I took tons of supporting material with me. None
    > was needed! All they asked me for was my greencard and passport. The
    > interview letter had asked me to bring eveidence of registration with
    > the Selective Service but they did not even ask me for this.
    >
    > For some
    > reason they were very interested in my employment and I probably got
    > asked the most questions around that.
    >
    > My timeline is as follows:
    >
    > priority date: early may 03
    > fp: early july 03
    > interview and oath: late
    > apr 04
    >
    > As of Apr 15, 2004, the "now processing " date for Newark is
    > March 15 03.
    >
    > Finally, thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice
    > throughout. Goodluck to everyone!
    >
    > -bobolat

Old May 2nd 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

I love tennis. There is a tennis equipment manufacturer called babolat. Mine nick is sorta based on that.

Originally posted by Amanda
Is there a meaning yo your username bobolat? It' interesting.

bobolat <member10871@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Went to the Newark office recently for both interview and oath the same
    > day. Others have described the interview process in great detail in
    > their posts so I won't bore ppl here. But here a few points worth
    > mentioning.
    >
    > Apparently, NJ is one of two states that conducts both
    > interview and oath the same day. The other state is WA. The INS officer
    > performing the oath ceremony told us this.
    >
    > I also learned that it
    > helps to show up early since the applications are put in a bin and
    > assigned to officers on a first come first served basis. However, here's
    > where luck comes into play as some officers conduct the interviews much
    > faster than others.
    >
    > I took tons of supporting material with me. None
    > was needed! All they asked me for was my greencard and passport. The
    > interview letter had asked me to bring eveidence of registration with
    > the Selective Service but they did not even ask me for this.
    >
    > For some
    > reason they were very interested in my employment and I probably got
    > asked the most questions around that.
    >
    > My timeline is as follows:
    >
    > priority date: early may 03
    > fp: early july 03
    > interview and oath: late
    > apr 04
    >