Woohoo.. have credit!

Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woohoo.. have credit!

I'm arriving in the US on an E3 visa in 13 days. I opened an aussie AmEx card about 6 months ago on advice so I can get a US card. I just called the US office to see how to go about organising a card in the US. The girl on the phone asked a few questions, checked my credit history in Australia, verified my US address and opened the card. It should be waiting for me when I arrive.

How easy was that!? I don't even have a SSN yet, which is why I'm surprised. Opening limit of $5000.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:37 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woohoo.. have credit!

Originally Posted by augigi
I'm arriving in the US on an E3 visa in 13 days. I opened an aussie AmEx card about 6 months ago on advice so I can get a US card. I just called the US office to see how to go about organising a card in the US. The girl on the phone asked a few questions, checked my credit history in Australia, verified my US address and opened the card. It should be waiting for me when I arrive.

How easy was that!? I don't even have a SSN yet, which is why I'm surprised. Opening limit of $5000.
Does anyone know how I can get a bank to check my credit in the UK? Right now I'm in the "No credit history", "Can't get credit because I don't have any history" cycle and it's very frustrating.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zargof
Does anyone know how I can get a bank to check my credit in the UK? Right now I'm in the "No credit history", "Can't get credit because I don't have any history" cycle and it's very frustrating.
For just a credit card I don't think its possible, unless you have an Amex which you can transfer over, there may be one or two others that do that as well.

Best bet is to get a Secured Credit Card - its a pain, but it does the job.

On the other hand if you want to get a mortgage you may be able to arrange something.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:41 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

for our morgage application they did an international credit check. Basically we had to give details of carious credit uses in the uk (ie utilities, credit cards etc) and they then made a conference call between us and the uk people . We explained who we were, told them we wanted them to answer the ladies questions and sat and listened whilst she asked stuff like last time we poaid, maximim spend, limit, date opened etc. They did this for about 6-8 sources (elec, gas, phone, etc.) Thats what we are using as a credit score.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can personally pull up your UK credit report after you've moved overseas. I tried myself some years ago (within about a year after moving to the US) and was unable to do so.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Just apply for a store card, or car loan ... that will establish your credit ... providing you pay them
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I made the very big mistake of applying for and getting two Capitol one cards when I came here .... Visa and Mastercard

DON'T DO IT

I think I sent about $80 on one and $50 on the other during the first month then got about $200 in charges on each bill the very first statement

"Membership fee's and annual fee's" I was told by the nice lady on the phone.
"Well if I have to pay $400 for spending $130 they can stick the f**kin card"
Argued for months.... got no where... paid f**kin bill .... cut up cards and will never get another from one of those special offers
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I made the very big mistake of applying for and getting two Capitol one cards when I came here .... Visa and Mastercard

DON'T DO IT

I think I sent about $80 on one and $50 on the other during the first month then got about $200 in charges on each bill the very first statement

"Membership fee's and annual fee's" I was told by the nice lady on the phone.
"Well if I have to pay $400 for spending $130 they can stick the f**kin card"
Argued for months.... got no where... paid f**kin bill .... cut up cards and will never get another from one of those special offers
Capital One certainly seems to vary for various people. I have one, as does my friend - no annual fees, and no problems.

But we do have established credit. I guess with any of them, one really does need to read the fine print.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Ugh, sounds bad. Luckily my Amex card is the "no fees" one!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Capital One certainly seems to vary for various people. I have one, as does my friend - no annual fees, and no problems.

But we do have established credit. I guess with any of them, one really does need to read the fine print.
Capital One has been great for us. In fact, I'd actually recommend it anyone who uses US money whilst visiting the UK (or anywhere else overseas for that matter) - as they give you the exact interbank rate on the currency exchange and don't charge fees at all.

But we've also got established credit and pay the cards off in full every month.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:55 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Ugh, sounds bad. Luckily my Amex card is the "no fees" one!
My amex does have a fee but I more than recoup the benefit every year thankfully