Help Needed About USA Visa.....

Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:40 am
Just Joined

buckz2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed About USA Visa.....

Hi all, i'm new to this site but i'm after some advice. I'm currently in America on a J1 visa after completing a Motorsport Engineering HND in the UK.

As i don't have any previous work experience in the field and only have a HND i don't think i can qualify for a H1 Visa?

What are the available options for me to be able to stay in the US when my Visa expires?

If i became a part owner in the company i work for, could i get a Visa?

When entering the country on the basic 3 month holiday waiver, how long do you have to leave the country for before you can return and get another waiver?

Can you just cross a border, for example mexico and come back and get a new waiver?

I just read on a post on this site by 'Ray' that:

(3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager
My boss wants me to stay and would title me as a manager if needs be.

Thanks for your time reading this and i look forward to hearing back.

Last edited by buckz2001; Feb 11th 2008 at 2:49 am.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed About USA Visa.....

You have to be able to show that no American can do the job I believe. And H1 visas are a total lottery -for every visa available there are 3 or 4 people applying for it. They all go on the first day of applications, which is April 1st for an October 1st start date.

Also although there is no rule about VWPs, the theory is that you should be out of the country 90 days before coming back for another 90 days. And if you are working then doing it on a VWP is highly inadvisable if you have any kind of serious intention to stay in this country.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckz2001
Hi
When entering the country on the basic 3 month holiday waiver, how long do you have to leave the country for before you can return and get another waiver?
Thats from a very basic description

It means

L-1A visas are designed for intra-company executive transferees to come and work in the United States. The L-1A visa holders must have been employed in an executive or managerial capacity with the foreign company in an overseas location for at least one continuous year out of the past three years.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:20 am
Just Joined

So with my HND qualification in Engineering and a job offer from a sponsor could i apply for the H1b or not?

Any other ideas or options?
Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So with my HND qualification in Engineering and a job offer from a sponsor could i apply for the H1b or not?

Any other ideas or options?
Thanks
No!! ..you need a degree or 2 years experience ...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Just two years experience? I thought it was more? I can get references for two years experience.......Would that work with my HND?
Cheers

Last edited by buckz2001; Feb 11th 2008 at 3:45 am.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:48 am
Ray

Just two years experience? I thought it was more? I can get references for two years experience.......Would that work with my HND?
Cheers
sorry that should say 12 years .....
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, things have changed. I came over to the US on a J-1 immediately after just completing a degree in the UK. Worked just a single year then got the company to get me a H-1B. That was in 2002. From the sounds of it, I couldn't do that today?

At the time, I believe you only needed one year of experience in combination with a degree to get the H-1B, so my time working on the J-1 visa was that year I needed.

Went on to get a greencard after marrying a USC
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, i'm new to this site but i'm after some advice. I'm currently in America on a J1 visa after completing a Motorsport Engineering HND in the UK.

As i don't have any previous work experience in the field and only have a HND i don't think i can qualify for a H1 Visa?

What are the available options for me to be able to stay in the US when my Visa expires?

If i became a part owner in the company i work for, could i get a Visa?

Can you just cross a border, for example mexico and come back and get a new waiver?

I just read on a post on this site by 'Ray' that:

(3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager
My boss wants me to stay and would title me as a manager if needs be.

Thanks for your time reading this and i look forward to hearing back.
So you've been working in the US while you've been over here on the VWP? Paid or unpaid, you cannot do ANY work for a US company while here on the Visa Waiver Program.

If the answer is "yes" then you don't need any more advice, because you've just finished your chances of getting a visa to work over here any time soon.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
So you've been working in the US while you've been over here on the VWP?
I don't think he's saying that:

"I'm currently in America on a J1 visa"
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does your J-1 have the 2-year HRR? If not, great. If it does, you must either fulfill that requirement to be eligible for any other visa, or you must obtain a waiver of the 2-year HRR.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe one of the top Car Industry courses is in the UK at Coventry. So get that degree.

PS, for thse who have not heard:

Iain Dowie, Tim Flowers and Bob Dowie have been relieved of their duties with immediate effect

Frankie Bunn and John Harbin will take charge of first-team affairs for tomorrow night's game against Cardiff City at the Ricoh Arena.

Coventry City Football Club will not be making any further statement at this time.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Wow, things have changed. I came over to the US on a J-1 immediately after just completing a degree in the UK. Worked just a single year then got the company to get me a H-1B. That was in 2002. From the sounds of it, I couldn't do that today?

At the time, I believe you only needed one year of experience in combination with a degree to get the H-1B, so my time working on the J-1 visa was that year I needed.

Went on to get a greencard after marrying a USC
HND ain't quite a full degree though...but I read somewhere that for immigration purposes an HND was considered a degree...that would be something to double check on.

Chances of getting an H1 though are still pretty slim, it is a lottery after all.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I believe one of the top Car Industry courses is in the UK at Coventry. So get that degree.
It is, but it's pretty competitive to get into....a good way in if your into aesthetics would be the RCA and then transfer over, or even an auto engineering at Brunel, bit extreme though.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Does your J-1 have the 2-year HRR? If not, great. If it does, you must either fulfill that requirement to be eligible for any other visa, or you must obtain a waiver of the 2-year HRR.

Ian
Sorry Ian i'm unsure of what a HRR is? On my Visa printed in my passport its says:

Visa Type - R
Class - J1

Can you explain what a HRR is?

Bob - Can you tell me what an RCA is? Just tried to google it but came back with nothing relevant.

Has anyone else read, heard or actually qualified for a H1b Visa with a HND from the UK?

Just to make sure everyone understands my situation:

I am currently working in the USA on a J1 Visa and am currently trying to find out how I could possibly stay after it expires.

How many J1 Visa's can you apply for? What about if they are for different employers? And how long do you have to leave before re-applying?

Thanks for the replies so far.....

Last edited by buckz2001; Feb 12th 2008 at 1:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.