Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Wondering . . . your experience with IR-1 at NVC

Wondering . . . your experience with IR-1 at NVC

Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wondering . . . your experience with IR-1 at NVC

Hi All,

I am wondering what everyone's (recent) experience with processing of IR-1's has been like at the NVC?

Last week, I sent in payment for the Affidavit of Support. Around the same time my husband sent in his Choice of Agent. I am wondering . . .

(a) how long the processing from this point look for others?

(b) now that NVC is collecting documents; is London still requiring DS-2001?

(c) will the IVU in London require anything else from the Visa Applicant (other than his or her passport and the couried Medical results from the Doc's)?

Sorry to ask the latter two questions but I am finding conflicting info on the Embassy's website.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wondering . . . your experience with IR-1 at NVC

London is now an Appointment Post, meaning that the NVC will collect all civil documents and set the interview appointment.

I know this doesn't answer some of your specific questions, but you may find this part of the NVC site helpful: Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
London is now an Appointment Post, meaning that the NVC will collect all civil documents and set the interview appointment.

I know this doesn't answer some of your specific questions, but you may find this part of the NVC site helpful: Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants
It does mean a DS-2001 is not required. Which probably means that the NVC would have collected *all* documents before the interview --- aside from the Doctor's results.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:32 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by californian
It does mean a DS-2001 is not required. Which probably means that the NVC would have collected *all* documents before the interview --- aside from the Doctor's results.
Hi

Having just come out of the NVC process I would say that DS-2001 is not irrelevent to the process. You don't need to provide a checklist to say you have everything ready if you have already sent it in.

In reply to the original question of recent experience, I would say the 2 stages have been like night and day. USCIS seemed to take forever to do nothing (well 28weeks actually). Then once we moved to the NVC it was almost constant activity, as we used online payment for the DS-230 and emailed the DS-3032 to speed it up a bit. In total it took us only 5weeks and 5 days to get in and then back out of the NVC. My interview date has been set exactly a month after our case was completed. (Our whole journey therefore taking 38 weeks to the day from USCIS receiving our I-130 to having the interview.)

Hope this helps, and if you want any more details just ask.

Lyn
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LynannC

Then once we moved to the NVC it was almost constant activity, as we used online payment for the DS-230 and emailed the DS-3032 to speed it up a bit. In total it took us only 5weeks and 5 days to get in and then back out of the NVC. My interview date has been set exactly a month after our case was completed. (Our whole journey therefore taking 38 weeks to the day from USCIS receiving our I-130 to having the interview.)

Hope this helps, and if you want any more details just ask.

Lyn
Thanks for the information, Lyn. I am wondering how long, after your fiance/hubby paid the I-864 fees, did he receive the I-864? We are all ready to fill it in and send it off. (Relatedly, did he use transcripts of his taxes? --- they seem to be taking forever to turn up)
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering how long, after your fiance/hubby paid the I-864 fees, did he receive the I-864?
The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support... as far as I know, there is no fee involved with filing the I-864, and there is nothing that is received as a result of filing it.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support... as far as I know, there is no fee involved with filing the I-864, and there is nothing that is received as a result of filing it.

Ian
Well catch up, buddy!

The NVC charges a $70 fee to review the I-864 now.
the NVC method now requires you to pay a fee, and wait for the document (they do this with the visa app, too)

This is what makes IV processing take longer than it did before. The case spends up to a couple of months at the NVC passing notes back and forth through the mail.

When the i-864 is submitted overseas (as in a DCF case) there is no additional charge.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

The NVC charges a $70 fee to review the I-864 now.
the NVC method now requires you to pay a fee, and wait for the document (they do this with the visa app, too)
A pity you can't pay the fee and file the I-864 at the same time!

I am now wondering . . . when the DS-230 is submitted to the NVC and the filing fee is paid, will it too need to be paid by Banker's Draft/US Money Order? If so, Lynn, I'd really love to hear how you were able to paid the $400 online. Given that my husband and I are actually both in the UK, a US Money Order is a pain to get!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:49 pm

A pity you can't pay the fee and file the I-864 at the same time!

I am now wondering . . . when the DS-230 is submitted to the NVC and the filing fee is paid, will it too need to be paid by Banker's Draft/US Money Order? If so, Lynn, I'd really love to hear how you were able to paid the $400 online. Given that my husband and I are actually both in the UK, a US Money Order is a pain to get!
Yes, but you CAN pay fees online now.
I don't see a link on the IV instructions page, but it must come in one of the NVC letters? At any rate, that speeds the process up tremendously.

Didn't you take your checkbook over with you?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but you CAN pay fees online now.
I don't see a link on the IV instructions page, but it must come in one of the NVC letters? At any rate, that speeds the process up tremendously.

Didn't you take your checkbook over with you?
I didn't . . . b/c I haven't written a cheque/check in like 5 years! Even DMV accepts online payment. The NVC and USCIS really need to *get with it*. I must admit I have yearned for a US check book several times in this process!

In any case, the I-864 had to be paid by *Money Order* and drawn on US Bank. I had to have my Mom run around a get a Money Order!

I'm glad you and Lyn have both confirmed that fees can be paid online. If I can't find a link, I will definitely call up NVC and ask
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:06 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

I didn't . . . b/c I haven't written a cheque/check in like 5 years! Even DMV accepts online payment. The NVC and USCIS really need to *get with it*. I must admit I have yearned for a US check book several times in this process!

In any case, the I-864 had to be paid by *Money Order* and drawn on US Bank. I had to have my Mom run around a get a Money Order!

I'm glad you and Lyn have both confirmed that fees can be paid online. If I can't find a link, I will definitely call up NVC and ask

Hi

Firstly, for online payment here is the link: https://ceac.state.gov/CTRAC/Invoice/signon.aspx

You will need a US bank account with which to make the payment. You will also need your Invoice Indentification Number (IIN) which you get by telephoning the NVC and asking for it.

With regards to filing the I-864, although my husband payed by banker's draft via snail mail (didn't read the instructions I sent him) we didn't wait for the barcoded form to arrive in the post. As we paid the DS-230 online we were able to print out the barcoded front page, and as it didn't specify which form it was form we printed two and attached one to each form, which we had previously downloaded, since they were both showing as paid. It doesn't appear to have mattered that we didn't wait for the barcoded forms as we have completed the NVC stage and I have my interview in just under 3 weeks.

I've already posted the instructions we followed as few weeks ago on a thread by Jeffmich about the fastest way through the NVC. If you search for that post you'll see everything we did and we took less than 6 weeks to complete at the NVC.

Hope this helps.

Lyn
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hope this helps.
Immensely, Lynn. Thank you!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well catch up, buddy!
Geez... that's 2x this week! I'm definitely losing my touch. My bad!

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:07 pm
The Wee Wifey

Thanks for the information, Lyn. I am wondering how long, after your fiance/hubby paid the I-864 fees, did he receive the I-864? We are all ready to fill it in and send it off. (Relatedly, did he use transcripts of his taxes? --- they seem to be taking forever to turn up)
Hi

My hubby used copies of the last 3 years' 1040 form to send with the I-864, along with copies of the last 6 pay slips. Although only the most recent year is required he is used to how govt depts work (he works in the defense industry) and so sent 3 years to cover us from further queries.

Lyn
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi

My hubby used copies of the last 3 years' 1040 form to send with the I-864, along with copies of the last 6 pay slips. Although only the most recent year is required he is used to how govt depts work (he works in the defense industry) and so sent 3 years to cover us from further queries.

Lyn
Great, thanks. If our transcripts (which are supposedly the preferred submission) don't turn up then we will use our 1040 forms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.