Withdrawing H1B application

Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:08 am
Just Joined

skumar221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Withdrawing H1B application

Hi,
I recently came for a 2 week trip to Delhi and applied for H1B re-stamping. Unfortunately, they put my application under Mantis security check.

I have already waited for more than 2 weeks with no news from the embassy. Interestingly, my current H1B stamp is still valid for another 5 months.

I have decided to withdraw my restamping application and travel to US on my current visa stamp. I have written emails to the Embassy in this regard with no result. I am planning to visit the embassy next week,

Has anyone gone through the ordeal of withdrawing the visa application? What is the procedure? Does the embassy or Department of State entertain withdrawal requests promptly and return the documents along with passport immediately?

Thanks,
Sudhir
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:09 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Withdrawing H1B application

Your existing H1 stamp was for another job though. I don't know that it is still valid.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Your existing H1 stamp was for another job though. I don't know that it is still valid.
Hi:

What difference does that make?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

skumar221 is an unknown quantity at this point

The stamp is still valid. It is permitted to enter US using the valid H1B stamp from the previous employer and new I-797 from the new employer. You have to make sure that I-94 is made with an expiry date of new I-797. I am quite confident about that and that's hardly my concern.

My concern is about the ongoing Mantis check or so called "administrative processing"

- If I can withdraw my restamping application from the embassy without getting my current visa stamp cancelled?

- If this Mantis check is not going to cause the problems at the port of entry?

Thanks,
Sudhir
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skumar221
If this Mantis check is not going to cause the problems at the port of entry?
The officer initiated the Mantis check. Whether he needed to or not is no longer the issue... the check has been initiated. It will show up somewhere... and if it's not cleared, you may have problems.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by skumar221
The stamp is still valid. It is permitted to enter US using the valid H1B stamp from the previous employer and new I-797 from the new employer. You have to make sure that I-94 is made with an expiry date of new I-797. I am quite confident about that and that's hardly my concern.

My concern is about the ongoing Mantis check or so called "administrative processing"

- If I can withdraw my restamping application from the embassy without getting my current visa stamp cancelled?

- If this Mantis check is not going to cause the problems at the port of entry?

Thanks,
Sudhir
Hi:

There is an old adage that "Possession is 9/10's of the law." They have your passport. Take a look at 22 CFR 41.122 and the appropriate "note" and "procedural notes" in 9 FAM [which can be found at Travel.state.gov and then drilling down].

Although canceling a visa takes some effort, do note that Consular Officer's CAN make a computer entry on a provisional basis.

Out of idle curiosity, did you consider one of the Canadian posts before leaving for India? Since your visa was still valid, it may have been a "no harm, no foul" if refused.

I really don't know the answer, but this one would scare me. I suggest you get in contact with a lawyer with visa experience in this. I would recommend Allan Kaye in New York.

Good luck.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Feb 7th 2008 at 4:10 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:31 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What difference does that make?
I thought that they were tied to specific employers, but, hey, I'm not the attorney here.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:12 am
Account Closed

I thought that they were tied to specific employers, but, hey, I'm not the attorney here.
Hi:

Yes, the PETITION is tied to a specific employer. You need an approved petition to get the visa in the first place. You then need an approved petition on subsequent admissions. Other than the first admission, the petition used at admission need not be the same as was used to obtain the visa.