Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Will Canadian Citzenship affect a Philippine born 3rd preference petition filed before?

Will Canadian Citzenship affect a Philippine born 3rd preference petition filed before?

Old Nov 18th 2001, 6:53 pm
Marvin

I was born in the Philippines and while waiting an approved 3rd preference family
class petition from my father to become current, I got a chance to go to Canada. Now
I am I just became a Canadian citizen.

Question: Will my Canadian status affect the US petition filed by my father? Where
can I find information about this?

Thanks, -- Marvin

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 2:24 am
R:>

It might. That is a legal question that only an attorney can answer legally. Consult
a U.S. immigration lawyer. It wouldn't hurt to also consult a Canadian attorney too.

There are two likely scenarios: You would have to have another petition filed based
on your Canadian citizenship. You would have to amend your petition, based on new
citizenship. Either way, informing the INS of your change is probably a good idea.
Although there is always a wait, the INS helpline might be able to give you the
information you need for free. NCSC Assistance1-800-375-5283 http://www.ins.gov

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >