Where do I start??

Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

dopeydoris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where do I start??

Hi Guys

Hope someone can guide me in the right direction. I have a Son who is a permanent resident in USA and I would like to join him for good. On my last visit we established that he needs to apply to be a US citizen to be able to sponsor me. Is there anything I can do from the UK end to get my application underway or do I just have to sit back and wait until he turns 21?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start??

Originally Posted by dopeydoris
On my last visit we established that he needs to apply to be a US citizen to be able to sponsor me.
Just to clarify, he must *be* a US citizen to be able to sponsor you. Applying to be a USC is not sufficient, and it might be another year or so after applying before he takes the Oath of Allegiance and becomes a USC. Again, this is just to clarify.

Is there anything I can do from the UK end to get my application underway or do I just have to sit back and wait until he turns 21?
Sadly, I'm afraid not. He must be a USC and age 21 before he qualifies to sponsor you... and there isn't anything for you to do but wait until both conditions are in place.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Son who is a permanent resident in USA and I would like to join him for good.

While I'm thinking about it, there is nothing stopping you from visiting him. Also, there's nothing stopping you from trying to qualify on your own for a visa that would allow you to enter and live in the US. Read here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA.

Good luck,

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking outside the box, but how did your son qualify for a greencard? Being under 21, I assume it was some sort of family based one as opposed to a work one? If it was marriage based, you're out of luck, but another might give you a hope...

If you are of a senior age and don't actually intend to work in the US, you could perhaps qualify for a B-1 visa that allows you to stay in the US for up to 6-months at a time per year. A lot of retired UK people do this. I know it's not quite being there permanently, but it's a reasonable stop-gap while you are waiting for your son to hit 21.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

dopeydoris is an unknown quantity at this point

He is there because his father married an american lady. I intend to work, so want the least complicated way to get there. I have a new grandson too who is american, does that help my cause hehehe!. I want to be there for good as I have another son who will be living in New Zealand for good so being in the states in somewhat in between.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Hope someone can guide me in the right direction. I have a Son who is a permanent resident in USA and I would like to join him for good. On my last visit we established that he needs to apply to be a US citizen to be able to sponsor me. Is there anything I can do from the UK end to get my application underway or do I just have to sit back and wait until he turns 21?
Hi:

First of all -- did boy's father naturalize before he turned 18? He may already be a US citizen.

If not, your son can file for naturalization when HE reaches 18 and is otherwise qualified [5 years and all that good stuff].

Now that we have discussed the 18 stuff, lets get to 21 -- he cannot even begin to sponsor you until he 21.