Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

When out of status -Empl Auth Appl. & Travel Permit Qs

When out of status -Empl Auth Appl. & Travel Permit Qs

Old May 3rd 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default When out of status -Empl Auth Appl. & Travel Permit Qs

I am a British Citizen and entered the US on a visa waiver. I married a US citizen within my 3 months authorized stay. I still haven't filed any immigration paperwork and I've now been out of status for about 60 days. (1)Am I entitled to file the I-765, appl for employment authorization? (2)If yes, under which category? (3)Am I entitled to file for a travel permit I-131? (4)If yes, and then even if I get my I-131 approved, I'm told that if I do travel before I receive my perm. residence, when I try to re-enter the US, I may be denied entry because I have been (am presently) out of status. Is this correct?
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When out of status -Empl Auth Appl. & Travel Permit Qs

Originally Posted by jmood
I am a British Citizen and entered the US on a visa waiver. I married a US citizen within my 3 months authorized stay. I still haven't filed any immigration paperwork and I've now been out of status for about 60 days. (1)Am I entitled to file the I-765, appl for employment authorization? (2)If yes, under which category? (3)Am I entitled to file for a travel permit I-131? (4)If yes, and then even if I get my I-131 approved, I'm told that if I do travel before I receive my perm. residence, when I try to re-enter the US, I may be denied entry because I have been (am presently) out of status. Is this correct?
You cannot file just those 2 things, no. You have to file a complete AOS application, which includes those forms. For sure you can include the I-765 for work authorization, but I am not sure if you should try using the AP or not, because of your overstay. You're probably safer waiting until you get you green card.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't filed any immigration paperwork
best get your finger out mate.

you're only a knock on the door from deportation.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:32 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

1 yes

2. 7a on instuctions

3 yes

4 yes

Shame you never went home as the time required...
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

(1)Am I entitled to file the I-765, appl for employment authorization?
Yes.

(2)If yes, under which category?
As long as you file an I-485 at the same time, category (c)(9).

(3)Am I entitled to file for a travel permit I-131?
Yes.

(4)If yes, and then even if I get my I-131 approved, I'm told that if I do travel before I receive my perm. residence, when I try to re-enter the US, I may be denied entry because I have been (am presently) out of status.
Once you file to adjust your status (I-485), you won't be out of status anymore. Yes... it's that simple. You'll be lawfully in the US "under color of law" and will be allowed to remain in the US pending a decision on your I-485. That said, only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US... everyone else can be denied for any reason.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you're all very fast with the replies. I'm impressed and thank you all!

Do you think I'm really inches away from deportation or were you just trying to make me get my act together and APPLY :-)!?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:27 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I'm really inches away from deportation or were you just trying to make me get my act together and APPLY :-)!?
well, the longer you leave it, the greater the chance of it happening.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

I was out of status for nine years. Just saying
Didn't bother to file I-131. Even with an AP in hand, I wouldn't have left the US. An overstay that long would make AP worthless.

Last edited by Kar98; May 3rd 2009 at 1:07 pm.
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The sooner you apply, the sooner you're protected. Right now, if you get stopped for littering... you could end up being removed from the US.

Ian