Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling for waiting for interview?

Travelling for waiting for interview?

Old May 3rd 2009, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

jennyandleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling for waiting for interview?

Hello Everyone,

My UK husband (I'm US) and I are applying for a spouse based visa for him to return to the US with me (I've been living in the UK for a year now). We're at the point where he has his medical scheduled for next week and we're waiting for an interview date. However, its crucial that I return home very soon as my grandfather is very, very ill. Can I return to the US without him and take care of family stuff while he's waiting for the interview and then him travel over separately?

So confused
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:05 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling for waiting for interview?

Originally Posted by jennyandleon
Hello Everyone,

My UK husband (I'm US) and I are applying for a spouse based visa for him to return to the US with me (I've been living in the UK for a year now). We're at the point where he has his medical scheduled for next week and we're waiting for an interview date. However, its crucial that I return home very soon as my grandfather is very, very ill. Can I return to the US without him and take care of family stuff while he's waiting for the interview and then him travel over separately?

So confused
Assuming he gets the visa then that won't be a problem - the rules reqiure that the USC establish domicile in the USA before or at the same time as the intending immigrant.

One potential drawback might be that if the consulate wants extra info it could take longer for you to get it to him, but it sounds like your family concerns outweigh that.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling for waiting for interview?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
One potential drawback might be that if the consulate wants extra info it could take longer for you to get it to him, but it sounds like your family concerns outweigh that.
That's sufficiently rare that I wouldn't let it influence plans.

It's OK for the USC to leave any time after the I-130 has been adjudicated (approved in this case)--sooner in some cases.