Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

When do you get a conditional visa?

When do you get a conditional visa?

Old Sep 16th 2001, 3:35 pm
Totoro

When do you get a conditional visa? 2 years after you applied for your green card? or
2 years after the date you were married?

Old Sep 16th 2001, 4:05 pm
Betastar

I think you're asking about your conditional green-card?

You will get a conditional green-card if your green-card is issued before your 2nd
wedding anniversary.

>
    >

Old Sep 16th 2001, 5:21 pm
Michael Voight

totoro wrote:
    >
    >
    >

You mean conditional permanent residency? If married less than 2 years when your
received the spousal via, you get it (as a stamp on your passport) as soon as you
enter the US. If you enter the US on another kind of visa and adjust status, then it
is given when you adjust status. The card comes month later and generally expires 1
year after the passport stamp.

If you are married for at least 2 years at the time you get your immigration visa or
adjust status then you get the standard 10 year green card as a permanent resident.

If you become a conditional permanent resident, then 1 year and 9 months later you
file to have the conditional status removed.

Old Sep 16th 2001, 7:50 pm
Totoro

Thank you for your reply. It's been 2 years and 9 months since I've been married to
my husband and it's been 2 years and 3 months since INS accepted my permanect
residency applications. I wasn't given a conditional green card before my second year
wedding aniversary. What doesn't this mean? Does this mean I'll get a permanent green
card without getting a conditional one first? Or, something may be wrong with my
green card process and I should contact INS??

Thank you.

Betastar wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >When do you get a conditional visa? 2 years after you applied for your green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >or 2 years after the date you were married?[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 16th 2001, 8:53 pm
Totoro

I see.

A friend of mine who came to US on K-1 visa told me that even though I've been
married for over 2 years, I'd first get 2-year conditional green card. I guess that's
not the case. I assume it's different becuase she was on K-1 when she applied for her
green card and I was on F-1 when I applied for mine? It seems like the length of
process time who entered US on K-1 visa, though.

Alvena Ferreira wrote:

>
[usenetquote2]> > It's been 2 years and 9 months since I've been married to my husband and it's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been 2 years and 3 months since INS accepted my permanect residency applications.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I wasn't given a conditional green card before my second year wedding aniversary.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What doesn't this mean? Does this mean I'll get a permanent green card without[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > getting a conditional one first? Or, something may be wrong with my green card[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > process and I should contact INS??[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 11:44 am
Andy Platt

>
been
    >
    >
K-1 when

That's not the case and wouldn't have been if you had entered on a K-1. After two
years of marriage, if the basis of the I-485 is a spousal I-130, it's a permanent GC,
whether you came from K-1, H-1, F-1, M-1, B1/B2, visa waiver, etc.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.