British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   What's the matter with this effing country?? / Tribulations of the spouses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/whats-matter-effing-country-tribulations-spouses-778155/)

HarryTheSpider Nov 19th 2012 8:59 pm

What's the matter with this effing country?? / Tribulations of the spouses

I share this partly to vent my spleen (cathartic) and partly as a commentary for those of you contemplating a move to the US for work reasons, and bringing family...

I'm away on business, 17 hrs by plane, no chance to hurry back quick etc.

SWMBO leaves the house as usual, driving the car out of the garage, closing the door remotely.

She comes back and the remote door opener has died - mechanical failure of the switch, we later determine.

Anyway, she's now locked out of the house.

After trying the obvious things, she goes to 3 neighbours, none of whom answered the door even though they were in. She goes to a fourth neighbour who is working in their garage, and so Mrs HTS is able to talk to them. She explains what has happened and asked if the neighbour could help her push in the door or get her over the back gate. The neighbour refuses and tells Mrs HTS to get a lock smith, and to 'have a nice day'....!!!

Well I'm sorry - where we come from you help somebody out, not tell them to phone a lock smith and 'have a nice day'.

So a pretty peeved Mrs HTS manages to find a concrete brick as a step to get herself over the back gate - tearing some muscles around her ribs - she's only just got the last one mended (another story...!), so now in some severe discomfort she's in to the back yard, where thankfully (!) she discovered she hadn't bolted the back door and so was able to get in to the house - by this time it was getting dark.

So that's is one VERY pissed Mrs HTS. She's not had the easiest of times here with health and no luck in getting a job. Parents back home have been ill. All her friends etc are back home and she really has no support network here. So it's very understandable when I phone from Tokyo just now on my regular "hi honey" call, she lost it. And you can only say "I want to go back home" so many times before it stops just being something that is said in the heat of things and becomes a real, strong desire.

So if you are thinking of coming out here, take care of as much medical stuff back home on the NHS as you can, because leaving it to get done out here will sap your finances, the same finances you would use for doing things of a fun/entertaining/relaxing nature... and make sure you negotiate for your employer to pay all your big costs for the first few months after you move, and a whole host of other little niggles that can come as a surprise and knock you back a little.

My employer is good on many fronts, but can be stingy in other areas. And it could be false economy because if Mrs HTS wants to go home, we go home, and my employer will have to put on hold what my team and I are doing right now, recruit a replacement, and pay the market rates for that, plus the impact of delays, of getting a new person up to speed etc etc etc

Aaargghhhh!!

Sorry - just needed to vent - it's about all I can do right now, nearly 7000 miles from a very peeved Mrs HTS. And from 4 neighbours who, right now I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire :frown:

At least I'll be home Weds night, we have an invite to a work colleague's home for Thanksgiving Dinner, which we know we'll enjoy, and I have time off work until 3 Dec - time to 'decompress'

Normal service will be resumed shortly, I am sure.

kimilseung Nov 19th 2012 9:07 pm

Re: What's the matter with this effing country?? / Tribulations of the spouses

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10391308)
I share this partly to vent my spleen (cathartic) ......

Sorry to hear all this.

On the neighbours. Do they know your wife? They may have been trying to protect the home owner.

I know that we had a house sitter call at our door and ask for help after getting locked out, and my exact words were to suggest that he get a locksmith. Did not know the sitter nor the owner from Adam at the time so I was not going to actively help, but his story all sounded to straight to be dodgy so did not want to cause unnecessary obstacles. Locksmith seemed a way to create a layer of accountability (and witness).

Bluegrass Lass Nov 19th 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear of her troubles. That was definitely pretty crappy of her neighbors. I hope the muscle tears heal quickly!

I know it's a moot point to ask, but why didn't she have her keys to the front door? :confused: I bet she's kicking herself for that!

GeoffM Nov 19th 2012 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear. Six months in and my wife is also pining for the UK which admittedly winds me up a bit considering what we've spent and sacrificed to come here. It's not as if it's the first time she's moved country either.

We only know two sets of neighbours in our cul de sac of eight, maybe another set if pushed but would they know us enough to help? I don't know. Outside of the cul de sac we don't know anybody.

Weeze Nov 19th 2012 11:15 pm

I'm surprised by the neighbours. I'd have though at least one set would help me out, especially as a woman with OH out of town. Like someone else said, perhaps they had never seen her before and though it was a scam. Hopefully when she has calmed down a bit from the shock and rib pain everything will seem a bit better. Everything here goes wrong pretty much as soon as Mr Weeze boards a plane.

JRG67 Nov 19th 2012 11:34 pm

Lucky she didn't get shot by a member of the Neighbourhood Watch!

yellowroom Nov 20th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10391308)
After trying the obvious things, she goes to 3 neighbours, none of whom answered the door even though they were in. She goes to a fourth neighbour who is working in their garage, and so Mrs HTS is able to talk to them. She explains what has happened and asked if the neighbour could help her push in the door or get her over the back gate. The neighbour refuses and tells Mrs HTS to get a lock smith, and to 'have a nice day'....!

this is appalling! Surely the neighbours woud recognise you by sight unless you only moved in yesterday or are total hermits. And the others refusing to even open the door? :mad: One could be a bad apple, but all of them? Words fail me...

I've lived in places in the uk where I was only on nodding terms with neighbours but still helped them out and they've helped me out in similar circumstances.

The neighbour could have offered to contact your landlord or agent for example. Or even ring the locksmith. Or jumped over the fence himself.

Wish I was local and could get your mrs over for a cuppa tea. :-(

JRG67 Nov 20th 2012 12:57 am

The neighbours might have thought you were in the middle of divorce proceedings and had deliberately changed the locks, hence their unwillingness to get involved.

Karrie72 Nov 20th 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10391499)
I'm surprised by the neighbours. I'd have though at least one set would help me out, especially as a woman with OH out of town. Like someone else said, perhaps they had never seen her before and though it was a scam. Hopefully when she has calmed down a bit from the shock and rib pain everything will seem a bit better. Everything here goes wrong pretty much as soon as Mr Weeze boards a plane.

I'm afraid to say the same thing happened to me.

We moved to a new neighborhood and my husband was posted away during 9/11 myself and my toddler daughter were completely alone in this rural neighborhood and we get majorly snowed in and can't drive out. I realize we need a plow person and remember seeing a plow on a truck next door.

We trudge to the nearest house on the cul-de-sac and knock. After a minute or two the door creaks open to about an inch. Me and my two year old are stood there in the snow,I ask if he is available for plowing as I noticed he had a plow. Basically the door slammed shut and I was told to go else where. Who would turn their back on a young mother and child? Yikes
Btw that winter, while my husband was serving, we were invited into houses for bizarre personal tours of houses inviting admiration of granite counters and paint choices, but not support or help.

cluedweasel Nov 20th 2012 4:00 am

Sorry to hear this but not surprised. We had an issue a few years ago. I was putting up the Christmas lights outside while my wife was out shopping. While I was putting lights in a street, our next door neighbour came home, got out of his car and went inside without saying sod all as usual. 15 minutes or so later, my wife came struggling through the snow up our drive on foot, in tears. Turned out that she'd hit some ice in the car on the street before ours and ended up with the car hitting a tree fairly hard. While she was climbing out of the car, that neighbour was driving by. She waved him down but he shouted that was "busy" through his wound down window and kept on driving. I was really pissed off. After I made sure my wife was comfortable, I went next door to find out what his issue was. He top me he "didn't want to get involved". Tosser. Not surprised though. A lot of the people here wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Yorkieabroad Nov 20th 2012 5:05 am

Interesting thread to read in parallel to the making friends in America thread...

There's some pretty dire stories on here that it'd be interesting to hear the "other" side of.

Got to say, we are in a small cul de sac (4 houses) and while we don't have riproaring knee's ups with our neighbours every weekend, I'd like to think they'd help out if we needed it. If your areas are anything like ours, those same folks who didn't want to help will be the same ones trotting off to church next Sunday....I wonder, does the vicar do requests? time to pop the Good Samaritan in his suggestion box........

ALBRUZ Nov 20th 2012 10:24 am

Im very sory to hear about all the problems with neighbours but can only say that ours are really good.

I work away in Brazil for 5 weeks at a time and one of our neighbours(From Thailand but married to USC) thinks that my wife needs looking after when Im away and at least twice a week turns up on the dorstep with plates of Thai food and stays for a good gossip

Our other neighbours are always more than willing to help outbut maybe things are diferent in Florida as nearly everybody I have ever met here has been really helpful

In fForida you woud just rind the police in that situation if you were a wife by yourself and the police dept would have certainly come and helped you

Regards

Alan

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10391796)
Interesting thread to read in parallel to the making friends in America thread...

There's some pretty dire stories on here that it'd be interesting to hear the "other" side of.

Got to say, we are in a small cul de sac (4 houses) and while we don't have riproaring knee's ups with our neighbours every weekend, I'd like to think they'd help out if we needed it. If your areas are anything like ours, those same folks who didn't want to help will be the same ones trotting off to church next Sunday....I wonder, does the vicar do requests? time to pop the Good Samaritan in his suggestion box........

jemima55 Nov 20th 2012 10:50 am

This is a sad story. I really hope Mrs HTS is recovering.
We had about two sets of good neighbours, who would have helped in such circumstances, but I also came across the fear and suspicion that makes people turn their back on even their neighbours. I think it's fear of guns and crime that does that.
Your tale of being away reminded me of the disasters that seemed to strike whenever Mr J was away (mini tornadoes, tree branch through roof, power outages in winter). It always happened when he was elsewhere, it's Sod's law, I'm afraid!
I'm back now in the UK for good after five years and it all seems so mild in comparison, and yes, I was the one that ended up shouting "I want to go home!".
Anyway, I'm glad that back door was open so Mrs HTS wasn't locked out in the cold. Best wishes to both of you!

rallybug Nov 20th 2012 12:49 pm

Sorry to hear about her luck, or lack thereof.

I've been pleasantly surprised here - granted, Gininda has lived in this house since late 2004 and knows some of her neighbors, but once last year and once so far this year, someone from the neighborhood has been around helping people clear snow off driveways (old guy with a snow blower last year, another guy about my age with a shovel so far this year).

I suppose people like me on a marital visa can be luckier than work-based as my wife's family live about 3 miles away, so can always help or provide shelter if necessary, whereas without family, you can be tied to any neighborly instincts.

Twigstar Nov 20th 2012 1:29 pm

How upsetting for both you and your wife. Hope she is able to move around today without too much pain.

Sending cyber hugs to her:heart:

Whenever we have moved into a new neighbourhood we have always had a home warming 'get together' to get to know the neighbours. This has helped introduce us into the neighbourhood in one afternoon.

We did live next door to a real ahole once, and when my teenage son needed a jump start to his car the guy told him to f*** off

Mummy in the foothills Nov 20th 2012 2:16 pm

It really doesn't surprise me.
We have encountered neighbors who wouldn't answer the door here too. Especially when we lived in the city.
Our new neighbors are that way and not long after they moved in I went to drop off their mail which was delivered to me by mistake, didn't want to leave it in the box on the street, it was a holiday and they wouldn't check for a few days and there have been mail box thefts. So knocked. Ended up dropping it on the mat. Weird thing is if the guy sees me or Dh come out he'll practically run away :lol: We cornered him one time, he was talking to Dd over the fence she was looking at his horses and he told her the name and was letting her stroke the horse. You could see he wanted to walk away and not talk to us, at least they are very quiet, and so are all their animals.
I'm the dope who anwsers the door, not long after moving here a heavily pregnant woman knocked in the rain, her car broke down, she used the phone, was almost in tears and I let her wait for a ride to arrive. When I told some US new friends they were horrified, said I could have been attacked and killed and robbed. This is probably why no one answers the door if they are convinced a nine month pregnant woman who waddles up the driveway is likely to kill them.

rallybug Nov 20th 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10392527)
I...When I told some US new friends they were horrified, said I could have been attacked and killed and robbed. This is probably why no one answers the door if they are convinced a nine month pregnant woman who waddles up the driveway is likely to kill them.

Ah, the Scream 5 movie plot has been announced then! :lol:

Yorkieabroad Nov 20th 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10392527)
When I told some US new friends they were horrified, said I could have been attacked and killed and robbed. This is probably why no one answers the door if they are convinced a nine month pregnant woman who waddles up the driveway is likely to kill them.

I agree - quite clearly the proper procedure in this instance would have been to Taser and/or pepper spray her first, plasticuff her while debilitated, then when she came round, ask her what the hell she thought she was doing knocking on your door, and if plausible, you could then have allowed her to use the phone, under the watchful barrel of your AK47 or other assault rifle of choice, of course....

Or you could just have retreated to your panic room and hope she'd go away before your years supply of emergency rations ran out...

kimilseung Nov 20th 2012 2:35 pm

My wife's (she is a US citizen) rule is not to answer the door to unexpected callers, she assumes they will be after money for some charity or other, or proselytize for some church. She finds it hard to close the door. I answer, but I have no problem in telling the god squad and questionable charities 'no'.

Brat1 Nov 20th 2012 2:46 pm

I'm sorry too that your wife experience this. I hope she has calmed herself down, and is trying to recover from any muscular injuries. Not fun when your OH is away on business :(

With regards to your neighbors attitude, I kind of get what some of the other posters have said, although, I also have to say, we have been truly blessed with wonderful neighbors, in both places we've lived in, since we moved over here 3 years ago. But I can understand how upsetting and frustrating it must have been for your wife.

I'm just wondering if there's other underlying reasons for her wanting to go home...... sometimes, when you get hit with one thing after another, it's very difficult to remain positive, and sometimes our judgement can be clouded. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, does she genuinly, really want to return to the UK, or is it just the way she's feeling at this point in time. It's a shame she hasn't managed to make many friends here, and even worse that she has been unable to find work. I know how long the days can be when you're not working, and I totally, 100% understand, how it could make you have a breakdown like she had on the phone the other day.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll do what's right for both of you, now and in the future. Don't make any rash decisions, and hopefully when you get home, maybe she'll feel slightly better and you can talk things through. I wish I stayed closer, I'm going to a meet up with ex-pats on Sunday in NYC, I've found it so important to try and get in touch and stay in touch with people who kind of know what you're going through. Maybe she could come on here and see if any of our support would make her feel better while you're away, just a thought.....

Anyway, chin up. Hope you have a safe journey home and can enjoy your Thanksgiving. Whoever out there, thinks that immigration is easy, is way off. It's an emotional rollercoaster, and a journey, which sometimes pays off and sometimes doesn't, but none of us really know whether we'll make here home or not, it just takes time to find out..... :)

Bink Nov 20th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10391796)

I'm really surprised by this thread so far. I'll give some experience as one on the 'other' side and say that we are exceptionally fortunate in that our neighbours are all fantastic and help each out. My wife locked herself out of the house with our son and our neighbour invited her in, let her call me, gave her lunch and a drink until I could get back to the house to let her in (she'd walked out back and accidently turned the latch by instint, without taking her keys, phone or anything with her).

Really sorry to hear about Mrs HTS's experience.:( You'd have thought it wasn't too much to help out for 5 mins.
I understand it must be really tough on her when you're out of town. My wife struggles if I'm out of town and she's a local with family and friends in the area, so I can only imagine that it's many times worse if that's not the case. Hope it improves for her soon :fingerscrossed:

JRG67 Nov 20th 2012 4:04 pm

A NY friend of mine NEVER answers the door unless it is a delivery, as he fears being subpoenaed!
I hope your wife is OK btw

Trixie_b Nov 20th 2012 5:09 pm

Sorry for the wife. Hope she feels better soon.

I will say that we have code locks on our front door and garage to house door. we can walk the dog without taking keys, we can set up codes for the dog sitter / cleaner and/or any house guests that we can delete when no longer needed.

They're about 150 bucks but worth every penny to us!

tinaflorida Nov 20th 2012 8:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's experience, Harry. And I'm sure it's rough on you too, being so far away.

And I'm sorry to read about so many other folks in this thread that have experienced something similar.

I haven't had enough experience here in NOLA to comment - I only know a couple of neighbours to wave to, and one person that lives up the street will stop and chat if we see him out with his dog. I don't know how people would react if I had an emergency while my husband was away. Probably not very well.

I agree with ALBRUZ - it's very different in Florida. We had nice neighbours (although my favourites moved to Kentucky a couple of years ago) and we also had plenty of close friends near us who could help out in a pinch. Florida seems to be a much friendlier place in general than most other parts of the US.

I never really pined that much for the UK, probably because I had visited the US so many times before actually moving here and I've generally been happier here than I ever was in the UK. But boy, do I miss Florida!!!

Bootle Nov 20th 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10392561)
My wife's (she is a US citizen) rule is not to answer the door to unexpected callers, she assumes they will be after money for some charity or other, or proselytize for some church. She finds it hard to close the door. I answer, but I have no problem in telling the god squad and questionable charities 'no'.

Ha - yours only is not to answer the door. My ex and MIL would not even answer the phone or open mail unless she knew the caller ID or the return address.

Bink Nov 20th 2012 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bootle (Post 10393187)
Ha - yours only is not to answer the door. My ex and MIL would not even answer the phone or open mail unless she knew the caller ID or the return address.

There certainly is a higher sense of paranoia, especially regarding things like opening the door. My wife FLIPS out at me if I honk my horn, petrified that we're going to get shot.

RICH Nov 20th 2012 11:53 pm

I was home last Tuesday working in the back, fixing a hole in my house. The next door neighbor came and asked for a ride. "Only 15 mins, I need to see someone to get some money" .
I really was busy, and said no. (A week before I helped her try get her car started without success, so I am not all bad).

Anyway that was that. I found out she was arrested the next day in a drug sting. :eek:

http://www.pcsoweb.com/news-release/...ts-12-arrests/

JRG67 Nov 20th 2012 11:57 pm

[QUOTE=RICH;10393375]I was home last Tuesday working in the back, fixing a hole in my house. The next door neighbor came and asked for a ride. "Only 15 mins, I need to see someone to get some money" .
I really was busy, and said no. (A week before I helped her try get her car started without success, so I am not all bad).

Anyway that was that. I found out she was arrested the next day in a drug sting. :eek:

[URL="http://www.pcsoweb.com/news-release/12-263-round-up-operation-blue-crush-in-lealman-nets-12-arrests/"]http://www.pcsoweb.com/news-release/12-263-round-up-operation-blue-crush-in-lealman-nets-12-arrests/[
/URL][/QUOte

Don't answer your door , incase you get supoenaed to appear in court as a material witness:eek:

fakey Nov 21st 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Twigstar (Post 10392469)

We did live next door to a real ahole once, and when my teenage son needed a jump start to his car the guy told him to f*** off

Sorry about that. I was having a very bad day

Pulaski Nov 22nd 2012 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10393189)
...... My wife FLIPS out at me if I honk my horn, petrified that we're going to get shot.

Yours too, huh! :unsure:

HarryTheSpider Nov 23rd 2012 4:51 am

Well, I got back from Tokyo last night, at around 9pm.

Mrs HTS was very pleased to see me, despite being in some discomfort with the ribs etc.

She did have the keys to the front door - bolted as we always go in & out via the garage using the remote door opener etc.

Luckily the back door was unbolted so she could get in that way - once she had sacrificed her ribs which had only just healed from the last accident :eek:

Thank you all for your support and stories - I grimaced at a few, chuckled at others.

We won't be making any decisions rashly.

I love my job, I am good at it, and it is the path to something better, and for now that path lies in the US. We will simply have to get a grip of a couple of things and get on with it. Mrs HTS has chilled somewhat since then, and we have just come from a very nice Thanksgiving dinner with a work colleague and her lovely family - the second time we have had Thanksgiving there.

Mrs HTS did speak with next door neighbours, and it seems that Mrs HTS needs to employ a bigger and more aggressive door knocking strategy. Many do not answer the door to just anybody. There is always 2 sides to any story. But the knob headed way the last neighbour reacted was just crappy - not the refusal to help, but the way it was done. Knob head. I hope his next sh1t is a very large porcupine...:eek:

Anyway, happy thanksgiving to you all!!

robin1234 Nov 23rd 2012 12:57 pm

You should do what we do.. We've left the house unlocked for the fifteen years we've lived here, even when we go to Europe for four weeks! In fact I don't think we even own a set of keys.. Maybe a different type of neighborhood. Around here it is the norm to bang on someone's door and just walk in. It saves them from having to walk to the door.

Middlemore Nov 23rd 2012 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10397730)
You should do what we do.. We've left the house unlocked for the fifteen years we've lived here, even when we go to Europe for four weeks! In fact I don't think we even own a set of keys.. Maybe a different type of neighborhood. Around here it is the norm to bang on someone's door and just walk in. It saves them from having to walk to the door.

We lived like that on our houseboat in England. Only ever locked it when it was windy, to stop the doors rattling. Apart from that it was always open, neighbors could pop in to borrow something, and if i was running late, then would even go in and light the woodstove before I got home : )

I found the move from houseboat to house far more of a culture shock that moving from UK to US.

tuxedocat Nov 27th 2012 10:47 am

The day I went into labor with my son, I was walking several blocks home. It was just early labor but when the contractions peak it's still painful. I was just trying to get home between them. 1/2 block from home I had held on to the back of someone's parked car when a contraction peaked. This lady came out yelling at me for touching her car. You see a 9 month pregnant woman (or anyone) doubled over and you are worried about your old car being touched? I just moved to the curb until it ended. I'm sorry HTS, people can be awful.

tuxedocat Nov 27th 2012 10:56 am

I don't answer the door unless I know who it is. I always identify myself when knocking on a door. Knock Knock It's tuxedocat your neighbor.

HarryTheSpider Nov 28th 2012 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tuxedocat (Post 10403391)
The day I went into labor with my son, I was walking several blocks home. It was just early labor but when the contractions peak it's still painful. I was just trying to get home between them. 1/2 block from home I had held on to the back of someone's parked car when a contraction peaked. This lady came out yelling at me for touching her car. You see a 9 month pregnant woman (or anyone) doubled over and you are worried about your old car being touched? I just moved to the curb until it ended. I'm sorry HTS, people can be awful.

That's terrible. I presume the rest of your pregnancy & birth turned out well, but still... Pity you couldn't have had your waters break ON her car...:eek:

I know you don't have to be American to be a total selfish knob - there were enough back home. It's just that sometimes it feels like the majority of the world's population of self absorbed people happen to be American.

A lady on her mobility scooter rode out in to the road in front of me, never looked, too busy talking on her phone. I barely missed hitting her. If I had you just know the Police, understandably in some respects, would have given me a hard time... On reflection I wanted to go back in time and run her over, just so her self absorption would not affect other road users in the future. How terrible of me to even think that!

Anyway, next door neighbour was mortified to hear what happened to Mrs HTS, feels quite bad. We have arranged special door knocking code now. Which I used Monday night to summon help moving furniture, which he very kindly & expertly did. I just need to find out what beer he drinks... I hope it's not Budsheister!!

yellowroom Nov 28th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10405743)
Anyway, next door neighbour was mortified to hear what happened to Mrs HTS, feels quite bad. We have arranged special door knocking code now.

While I'm glad you've made progress with your neighbours, I still find it sad that a special door knocking code is required.

There does seem to be a heightened sense of fear of the stranger in some parts - I was watching one of those "we did something stupid in bad weather and they made a tv program out of it" things on The Weather Channel over the weekend. A woman was stuck in her car in snow, with an empty tank and phone battery running out. Her mum advised her to seek shelter with a driver in a nearby car and her first thought was "what if he rapes me?".

Actually, it annoyed me quite a bit. While there are psychos out there, the number of them are actually pretty small and the vast majority of people are basically decent human beings who gladly do the right thing in an emergency like that. What if the man had been equally paranoid and said no, don't come in my car because you might falsely accuse me of attacking you...?

While there are still "don't want to get involved" types in the UK, do you think that generally that type of behaviour is more frowned upon there, and thus is a bit more shocking to us when we encounter it over here?

kimilseung Nov 28th 2012 4:11 pm

While I am not convinced that Americans are more selfish and self centred than Europeans. It would not surprise me if that were so (on average).

America is a nation built on the idea of the individual, from its pop-culture lone super-heroes, to its political Presidential system (even if it's not that simple). It is the individual at every turn.

HarryTheSpider Nov 28th 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10406071)
While I am not convinced that Americans are more selfish and self centred than Europeans. It would not surprise me if that were so (on average).

America is a nation built on the idea of the individual, from its pop-culture lone super-heroes, to its political Presidential system (even if it's not that simple). It is the individual at every turn.

I deliberately used the term 'self absorbed'.

I conducted a very non scientific poll of several ex pat colleagues (different EU countries, including Hungary) of mine who are located in several widely scattered parts of the US, and all of them said that relative to 'back home' they see Americans as generally more self absorbed. My equally non scientific personal experience tells me that Americans can be incredibly generous, sincere, thoughtful and charitable - more so perhaps than is typical back home...

It's a continuum. Being more independent rather than interdependent might explain it. It is what it is, and we need to adapt to it...but still... I think perhaps in the last 2 decades the media, esp. TV has given people the impression that their fellow Man is out to get them in some way...

eyup Nov 28th 2012 4:52 pm

wish i hadnt read this thread :unsure:,my fiance and i are getting married next year when i get the visa and im moving to Maryland,but i had noticed that 'friends' there are not the same as my 'friends' here in yorkshire ! for example we were coming home from the Mall on my last visit and we passed near to the home of a couple she is friends with,(allegedly) i said are we going to call in for a coffee ? my fiance said we cant do that here,its not england,i insisted and said at home we would call in or they would say why didnt you call in for coffee? i said why not here ? she relented and we called,we rang the bell and hubby answered the door,we stood there he stood there,i said Hi we were passing and thought we would call in,he then invited us in,they seemed nervous and confused by us being there,we sat and did small talk for 20 mins with no one putting the kettle on,so we left,my fiance said see i told you so ;),i was in shock,or the time she had to work and i went collecting fallen wood for the stove from the woods nearby,she went mad and asked if i was crazy,people get shot for trespassing she says etc etc,and did i watch out for copperheads when in amongst the dead wood ?? whats a copperhead i says ??? :o