Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

what will happen if someone is staying in the US after his B2 visa expires?

what will happen if someone is staying in the US after his B2 visa expires?

Old Jun 21st 2002, 4:20 pm
Danny

Default what will happen if someone is staying in the US after his B2 visa expires?

My friends B2 visa is expiring soon. He wants to stay in the US, according to his
immigration lawer the only way is to stay is getting an education en fill out an
I-20. which is way to expensive for him. (this rule will change soon) What are the
consequeses if he'd stay longer with out the I-20.

Thx

Old Jun 21st 2002, 4:20 pm
Lord Hamster

Default Re: what will happen if someone is staying in the US after his B2 visa expires?

Well, depending on his qualifications he might also be able to get an H-1B. However,
assuming he won't be able to find an employer and has no other options then he should
probably leave the US. If he overstays by 6 months, an automatic 3 year ban to entry
takes effect. After 1 year, it becomes a 10 year ban,.

"Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My friends B2 visa is expiring soon. He wants to stay in the US, according to his
    > immigration lawer the only way is to stay is getting an education en fill out an
    > I-20. which is way to expensive for him. (this rule will change soon) What are the
    > consequeses if he'd stay longer with out the I-20.
    >
    > Thx

Old Jun 25th 2002, 11:20 pm
George Wood

Default Re: what will happen if someone is staying in the US after his B2

Is he able to immediately get another B2 in case he leaves the U.S. right now? Is
there a limited number of consecutive B2's one could get in a row ?

Just wondering, George.

Lord Hamster wrote:
    > Well, depending on his qualifications he might also be able to get an H-1B.
    > However, assuming he won't be able to find an employer and has no other options
    > then he should probably leave the US. If he overstays by 6 months, an automatic 3
    > year ban to entry takes effect. After 1 year, it becomes a 10 year ban,.
    >
    >
    > "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>My friends B2 visa is expiring soon. He wants to stay in the US, according to his
    >>immigration lawer the only way is to stay is getting an education en fill out an
    >>I-20. which is way to expensive for him. (this rule will change soon) What are the
    >>consequeses if he'd stay longer with out the I-20.
    >>
    >>Thx