what to wear!!!!

Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:34 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to wear!!!!

e_e,

Originally Posted by elisa_emely
i just had a thought ... at the age of 20 (by 2 weeks) do you think i will be pretty young compared to the rest of the people at the embassy???
Maybe. But even if so, so what?

Originally Posted by elisa_emely
i hate that, people just look at me like i havent a clue about life. niiiceee
Might be the way you chose to dress. Rightly or wrongly, people do judge books by their cover at first glance, so take a cue from yorkieuk if you don't like the impression that you're giving.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed that there's even a thread about this. For most people, the immigration process is pretty important - and the interview is something that will largely determine their future... so dress accordingly.

Dress according to the value/worth you place on the interview. If it's largely a formality (as with some employment-based visas) dress like a schlep... no one will care. If, with the interview, your future life with your fiancee/spouse hangs in the balance... well, you'll want to look a little better, won't you?

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I wore jeans, hiking boots and a football shirt... I can't see people at embassies having the right to reject people based solely on their appearance. It's not like you're applying for a job.

Last edited by CitySimon; Apr 29th 2009 at 12:01 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I wore jeans, hiking boots and a football shirt... I can't see people at embassies having the right to reject people based solely on their appearance. It's not like you're applying for a job.
Its as important if not more then a job interview.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Funny that... I'd never think about wearing anything other than a suit for a job interview and yet had no compunctions whatsoever about wearing jeans and casual clothes at the embassy.

I still can't see it make a difference... The guy who looks over your forms is not in a position to reject your visa based on your appearance.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To you, perhaps (and to me, also)... but not everyone feels the same way. In 11 years, I've not heard of someone not getting a visa because of the way they're dressed - which is why it's up to the individual to determine how important it is.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that... I'd never think about wearing anything other than a suit for a job interview and yet had no compunctions whatsoever about wearing jeans and casual clothes at the embassy.

I still can't see it make a difference... The guy who looks over your forms is not in a position to reject your visa based on your appearance.
Its not so much about whether you would be rejected on what you wear to the interview, its just a common courtesy to dress in an "appropriate manner" for the situation at hand.

that being said....if you dont feel comfortable in what your wearing then you shouldnt wear it!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To you, perhaps (and to me, also)... but not everyone feels the same way. In 11 years, I've not heard of someone not getting a visa because of the way they're dressed - which is why it's up to the individual to determine how important it is.

Ian

In the first post i made i did state that people should wear what they feel comfortable in, this doesnt mean i dont think they shouldnt make an effort to dress nicely, but comfortably.

Everyone will decide what is and isnt the right thing to wear to their interview, that is their choice alone.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its not so much about whether you would be rejected on what you wear to the interview, its just a common courtesy to dress in an "appropriate manner" for the situation at hand.

that being said....if you dont feel comfortable in what your wearing then you shouldnt wear it!
I felt, and still feel, that I did dress in an appropriate manner for the situation at hand: Jeans and a football shirt was suitable for handing in a binder full of forms, answering a couple of quick questions, getting a couple of jabs at the Dr's office and meeting my wife for lunch.

Common courtesy didn't come into the equation at all.

Would it make a different if I tell you that it was the NEW Man City home shirt that I was wearing?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I felt, and still feel, that I did dress in an appropriate manner for the situation at hand: Jeans and a football shirt was suitable for handing in a binder full of forms, answering a couple of quick questions, getting a couple of jabs at the Dr's office and meeting my wife for lunch.

Would it make a different if I tell you that it was the NEW Man City home shirt that I was wearing?
lol no im a Spurs fan!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

lol no im a Spurs fan!
It didn't make a difference to the guy at the embassy either.

I can tolerate Spurs.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
The people at the window only see you from the waist up anyway.
The cameras are following every inch of you
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:13 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, but would go just a little bit further. I think that there is an element of judgement by the ConOf and the impression that you give can influence that.

For example, we used the equity in our house as assets, at a time when the London embassy was rejecting that. The ConOf raised the issue, then appeared to decide to ignore it and I can't rule out that my being suited and comfortable in that attire, played a part.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CS,

Of course they don't. Appearance is but one of many factors that go into assessing a person.

For some people, their appearance is a matter of self respect or personal pride. For others, it may be a question of how many negative factors they can afford to accumulate before reaching the critical mass for rejection.

Regards, JEff

I can't see people at embassies having the right to reject people based solely on their appearance.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

purplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud of

lol no im a Spurs fan!
I'm a Hammer, the same as President Obama. Although I don't like our current home or away tops so I think I'll just go bare top to my interview and hope the ConOff likes my tattoos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.