Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What visa can I throw money at now? EB5?

What visa can I throw money at now? EB5?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default What visa can I throw money at now? EB5?

Short of being adopted (which we have thrown out as a suggestion amongst our neighbours and friends) Rob and I are running out of visa options to try. He has an H1B and is plodding his way through PERM.

After 2 years and 2 months slumming it in London, Wachovia/WFC have rescinded my transfer offer and L1B just as we were submitting the docs to the lawyer due to the prevailing financial climate. The new visa policy is being rigourously enforced and many people are being sent home. They have offered me severance and then contracting (in UK) at much better rate of pay but no light at the end of the tunnel regarding any future visa.

So EB5? If we could convince some of our wealthier investment banking contacts who are the recent beneficiaries of extraordinary severance payments to lend us some of the funds, would these people's backgrounds and tax returns etc be heavily scrutinised? I'm not doubting their integrity or legitimacy but I'm sure that people would baulk at divulging personal information through a third party. Also as I earned tax free in the Caymans for 10 years, would pay slips and bank records suffice for source of funds? I'm not sure I kept all the pay slips so in absence of pay slips - a notarised letter from employer as to compensation? From my limited reading, it appears that proving source of funds can be one of the biggest hurdles.

I've only just started researching this visa option but if anyone has any recommendations for specific projects or further information to help us understand this before we take it any further, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

shawlkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What visa can I throw money at now? EB5?

Hi

I have just started researching the EB-5 and have similar concerns re: approaching individuals to "invest" their money into this for me.

Sites that I have been looking at are:

http://www.everyvisa.com
http://www.antaoandchuang.com/en/per...eb-5-investors

My understanding is that the current EB-5 programme just had an extension to it and is due to close in September 09....not sure whether it is closing or just up for renewal??

What is the situation if I apply for EB-5 and my current visa runs out in July 09...do I have to leave the country and wait it out back in the UK or can I stay here?

Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about the EB-5 but there are a couple of recent threads on the issue which may get your started with info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602536

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603570
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The source of the investment is investigated to the penny ...

It can take up to year to get the GC in hand .. its not a
fast paced visa ...