Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you will do when you return?

What is the first thing you will do when you return?

Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:13 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the first thing you will do when you return?

Originally Posted by Redgal
If my kids have their way, it will be a trip to the sweetie shop, but hopefully I will be able to snatch a proper cuppa before we go. Then, as weird as it sounds, I want to visit my Gran's grave and tell her I am back home again. Hubby (Canadian) is looking forward to Sunday lunch with family, a nice long walk on the local footpaths and reading an actual British newspaper rather than online.

What is the first thing you will do (or you did) when you get back?

Doesn't sound weird at all - quite natural
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I did was to walk off the plane with a massive grin of elation on my face.
Collected luggage and were taxied to my Mum's house where I got hugs, a decent cup of tea and a piece of Battenburg cake.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:47 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The first thing I did was to walk off the plane with a massive grin of elation on my face.
Collected luggage and were taxied to my Mum's house where I got hugs, a decent cup of tea and a piece of Battenburg cake.
Perfect
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't straight away, but I do remember chugging down two whole kitkats!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I did when I returned was to buy a milkshake at Heathrow. Without doubt it was the worst in my life with chunky ice and a bitter taste. It was also so tiny I wondered where the rest was . . . not that I wanted any more of it!!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

First thing we did was to go out for a meal, Lincolnshire sausage, mashed potato peas and gravy, hadn't had a decent sausage in 4 years.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 12:14 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

First thing I did, was go to Zara and H&M and blow £400 on some decent clothes....the OH was well chuffed (not).
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

LOVE these little anecdotes! Amazing how much food plays into it...

I am really looking forward to sitting around the family dinner table on saturday night eating a curry from our local take away. You just can't get a decent curry anywhere in Canada.

Pommybird, lol. You can't get any decent clothes out here either. Hoping to take our family on a shopping spree. Anywhere that isn't Walmart would do at this point. My eldest is very excited about school uniforms so that would make her day.

Mikelincs, my sis has a small farm out in Lincolnshire. Love that area. Can't comment on the sausage though ( I'm vegetarian ) but they do say it is the best and my OH and kids loved it when we went over last year.

Last edited by Redgal; Jun 17th 2013 at 3:15 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Redgal, that is the plan... We are using the CIMT math now, so that the kids get used to the UK money and the metric stuff. I don't know what the rest of the British Curriculum is - but that's what the next 16 months are about... if you could PM me some links if you have them, It would be SO appreciated!

Other first thing? We'd drive straight to my husband's grandmother's house and give her a HUGE hug! (she's 103 in a month - I pray she will still be around by the time we can get there!)
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Redgal, that is the plan... We are using the CIMT math now, so that the kids get used to the UK money and the metric stuff. I don't know what the rest of the British Curriculum is - but that's what the next 16 months are about... if you could PM me some links if you have them, It would be SO appreciated!

Other first thing? We'd drive straight to my husband's grandmother's house and give her a HUGE hug! (she's 103 in a month - I pray she will still be around by the time we can get there!)
pondhopper, in case you couldn't tell from my name we home schooled too. DD has now graduated college though. I can't think of a better place to do it than the UK. My goodness, the history and geography alone could fill up 24/7. I envy you!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
My goodness, the history and geography alone could fill up 24/7.
Absolutely right!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:33 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I really admire all you mums who are home schooling, but where do you find your patience?!

I only have to sit down and help my daughter with her homework for half an hour and I find myself blowing my top!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Wow, I really admire all you mums who are home schooling, but where do you find your patience?!

I only have to sit down and help my daughter with her homework for half an hour and I find myself blowing my top!
Well, I found it required less patience to deal with one daughter than a slew of teachers and administrators
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Well, I am not known for my patience so it has been a very steep learning curve for me. I have really mastered the art of deep breathing - and so have the kids
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I do when I go home each year is make myself a bacon sandwich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.