Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you will do when you return?

What is the first thing you will do when you return?

Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all
Default What is the first thing you will do when you return?

If my kids have their way, it will be a trip to the sweetie shop, but hopefully I will be able to snatch a proper cuppa before we go. Then, as weird as it sounds, I want to visit my Gran's grave and tell her I am back home again. Hubby (Canadian) is looking forward to Sunday lunch with family, a nice long walk on the local footpaths and reading an actual British newspaper rather than online.

What is the first thing you will do (or you did) when you get back?

Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:01 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the first thing you will do when you return?

Shiver. Chat with brother. Marvel at the greenery. Pinch myself. Listen to the birds. Have a coffee/meal. Feel jet lagged. Sleep.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and Chips!!!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Fish and Chips!!!!!!
Just not from my old local chip shop. It was rubbish.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

That reminds me of something funny. When I went with my Hunny in 2010, we landed in Heathrow, and the only shop there was a coffee shop... I wanted some real british tea...

Ah, guess all the international starbucks addicts have influenced the airport.

When we get there this time? A Cornish Pasty. (and a cuppa tea, but at least now I know that will have to wait till I can get out of the airport). My Hunny, Fish'n'chips with mushy peas. My kids? Curly Wurlys all around.

ACK! This is making me too anxious... I still have 16 months to go!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:18 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Try and squeeze my luggage into my sisters Fiat 500
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Buy an extra thick sliced Warburtons white loaf, Anchor butter and golden shred marmalade. Then I will burn the toast, let it go cool and smother it with tons of the above mentioned toppings

As to most folks replies of fish & chips, as much as I love them I have found recently when visiting UK that the chips are just not as nice as they used to be. Possibly because they don't use beef dripping anymore or are not allowed trans fats to fry them in?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

have half a lager and lime without being given bloody limes!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Pondhopper - I am sitting here now eating curly wurlys. Since they are so expensive out here hubby has limited me to one a night I think there are more coffee shops now than when we left and the tea they serve is terrible. Give me Tetleys, Yorkshire or PG Tips any day.

Cardienscarf.

ElizabethK - last time I was they also had a crackdown on salt because of the health implications. I mean, as if our national dish is healthy to begin with? Lol I mean isn't that why it was so good?

Fulwood - or order a Shandy without having to explain what it is.

Last edited by Redgal; Jun 12th 2013 at 4:06 am.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:35 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm over jet lag I would enjoy a leisurely wander around a supermarket to see what's different...

and I'd buy a macaroon from a bakery.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the VERY first thing I will do is cry buckets and buckets and buckets!!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Buy an extra thick sliced Warburtons white loaf, Anchor butter and golden shred marmalade. Then I will burn the toast, let it go cool and smother it with tons of the above mentioned toppings

As to most folks replies of fish & chips, as much as I love them I have found recently when visiting UK that the chips are just not as nice as they used to be. Possibly because they don't use beef dripping anymore or are not allowed trans fats to fry them in?
As a matter of fact, my SO was just telling me this last night. We've talked about fish and chips quite a few times and he tells me every time they are not so good these days.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Talking Re: What is the first thing you will do when you return?

Originally Posted by windsong
Actually, the VERY first thing I will do is cry buckets and buckets and buckets!!!!!
Oh, I thought you meant AFTER I did just that! LOL!

And when I was there in 2010, the curlywurlys were 20p each, so 5 for a pound. I can do that.. maybe not all at once, but for two pounds a week I can bribe my kids in their school work each day. "No school work, no curlywurly!"

Muahahaha! A homeschool mama's gotta do what she's gotta do!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Windsong, I hear you on that one. That will certainly be me too!

Pondhopper, we are homeschooling too right now (and following the British currciulum) and I have been known to give out Polos...a lot! Are you going to be homeschooling back in the UK?

Brissybee, ever seen that comedy with Julie Walter's where she always said " would you like a macaroon?" Can't remember what it was called for the life of me , but I recall it was very funny.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Brush up on my hop, skip and jump so as to dodge the immeasurable quantities of dog shit that cover the streets of stoke on trent

Then look for a job abroad

Then find the guy selling black market ciggies

All the above completed and I now leave again somewhat fitter thanks to the hopping and skipping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.