Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What To Do When You Receive An RFE: The Dos and Don'ts

What To Do When You Receive An RFE: The Dos and Don'ts

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default What To Do When You Receive An RFE: The Dos and Don'ts

Just an FYI for anyone interested in reading this.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/usa/rfe/
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What To Do When You Receive An RFE: The Dos and Don'ts

Originally Posted by Sue
Just an FYI for anyone interested in reading this.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/usa/rfe/
Most of it is quite decent material... except that some of the important stuff is completely wrong! Just sayin'.

Ian
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Case by case.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Case by case.
You (yes, you! ) taught us that there were, in fact, 3 ways to respond to an RFE... none of which was "withdraw the petition".

That is to say:

1) Respond giving them exactly what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case taking into consideration the new information;
2) Respond giving them some of what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case taking into consideration the new information; and
3) Respond giving them none of what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case as it is.

Did I get that wrong all these years?

Ian
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

f
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You (yes, you! ) taught us that there were, in fact, 3 ways to respond to an RFE... none of which was "withdraw the petition".

That is to say:

1) Respond giving them exactly what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case taking into consideration the new information;
2) Respond giving them some of what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case taking into consideration the new information; and
3) Respond giving them none of what is asked for, and ask that they continue processing the case as it is.

Did I get that wrong all these years?

Ian
The regulation has been revised somewhat, but the bottom line is still the same -- the one thing that can't be done is to ignore the RFE.

However, withdrawal is an option. At least it avoids an outright denial. I believe Orlando was being practical.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

So after reading this, I am now even more nervous/confused, as I have been informed that there is a denial on it's way to us with no RFE. This was only after chasing them up since their processing time is 4 months and we were at 8 months. I am on day 12 of the wait..with nothing in the mail and I can't call them until after 15 days. This is probably the most stressful part in the last 7 years, I have no clue what's going to happen
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Denials also come with an explanation and an opportunity to remedy the deficiency, if appropriate. Line up a good attorney in case you need one, and wait for instructions.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brat1
I can't call them until after 15 days.
Why... because they said so? Call them anyway if it'll make you feel better.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why... because they said so? Call them anyway if it'll make you feel better.

Ian
It stated that if you don't hear within 15 days, to call the same number I called weeks ago...I'm kinda scared to piss them off, things are bad enough
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

I'm kinda scared to piss them off, things are bad enough
I can assure you that the person you'll speak to has no say, whatsoever, over the outcome of your case!

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:56 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

It stated that if you don't hear within 15 days, to call the same number I called weeks ago...I'm kinda scared to piss them off, things are bad enough
All you have to say, in that case, is "I called a few days ago, but I still have some questions; can you help me?"
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, I'm going to let my OH call them this time
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Denials also come with an explanation and an opportunity to remedy the deficiency, if appropriate. Line up a good attorney in case you need one, and wait for instructions.
Thank you for a description of what the Dark Forces are supposed to do.

Most recently many attorneys are seeing denials which take three pages to state: You applied for "x" benefit. They then quote the applicable regulation and statutory provisions. There is then a note that "burden of proof" is on the applicant. There is then a conclusion that the applicant failed to meet their burden of proof and the application "must" be denied.

Not a word of explanation will appear. It is annoying. And the clients balk at paying the additional attorney fees for something that is the fault of the Dark Forces. The clients are also annoyed that given the lack of explanation from the Dark Forces, the attorney is unable to offer an explanation.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:57 pm
Mouthy Yank

Most recently many attorneys are seeing denials which take three pages to state: You applied for "x" benefit. They then quote the applicable regulation and statutory provisions. There is then a note that "burden of proof" is on the applicant. There is then a conclusion that the applicant failed to meet their burden of proof and the application "must" be denied.

Not a word of explanation will appear. It is annoying. And the clients balk at paying the additional attorney fees for something that is the fault of the Dark Forces. The clients are also annoyed that given the lack of explanation from the Dark Forces, the attorney is unable to offer an explanation.
Well.... (goes into room and plays sad music in the dark)
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

So in a case like that, I take it we would be screwed, if we have burden of proof to prove something which we don't know what the item in question is??? I am at the end of my rope with this, over 7 years of waiting, playing the game, doing everything by the book, and now they can't even send me the ******* explanation!!!! Nightmare beyond nightmare, I will keep you posted on the saga....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.