We all gotta start somewhere

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We all gotta start somewhere

Originally Posted by duke_of_york

One approach I dont want to do is to join a big 4 in the UK and then transfer, it will take years of slogging in the UK to do that.
Then I respectfully suggest that you don't want to come here all that much

It takes some people up to a decade to make their dream a reality.

Many people have had to make sacrifices to achieve their goals - this may well be yours
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

american dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really nice

duke_of_york
Ernst and Young do a J1 program (or used to...) I've met several people over the years (from UK - London Office and Holland) who've worked for their New York Office for 18 months. Don't think they could stay permanently though.

But gives you a great chance to establish some US contacts and see if its really for you... Plus you never know inter-company transfer could be the way to go, especially if you already have experience in the US...

Hang in there if you really want it... But you have to really want it. I've wanted to live in the US permanently since i was 5... I've done temporary jobs, worked for low wages here, done college here... (i have a masters) Had job offers from US employers then had the disappointment of them realizing how much paperwork was involved and retracting their offers... It's a tough journey.

6 years since my first US visa... I am finally about to apply for a greencard. I was lucky to fall in love along the way to a wonderful USC...

Good luck...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Im not willing to look anywhere but new york
Okay... what's her name?

Ian
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... what's her name?

Ian
More likely his.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
More likely his.
Is that because he had 10,000 men?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... what's her name?

Ian
Fergie...she's got an apartment on the upper eastside and her US business is going bust...she needs her man to sort it out.

OK someone had to say it.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:03 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

One approach I dont want to do is to join a big 4 in the UK and then transfer, it will take years of slogging in the UK to do that.
Im not willing to look anywhere but new york
you are restricting your choices even more by stating that.

If you were prepared to do whatever it takes to get there - then i could be that working on the uk for a firm would get you a transfer to SOMEWHERE in the states - where you would be hopefully able to get your greencard. then after a decent interval you can ditch the job and location and move to wherever you want for any kind of work. To narrow the focus so much from the outset makes it just 10000% harder on you and reduces the likleyhood you will attain your dreams at all.

In an ideal word you want to make yourself as attractive to many employers by having no locational requirements so you have more chance of picking something up. You can work it to your advantage later on (maybe by converting to an H1B with an employer you met whilst working on an L1 visa in the states or by obtaining the employer sponsored greencard).
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is that because he had 10,000 men?
I assumed he got it from a Pub name, I was going to bring in the Naval side of things but not sure the moderators would approve.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:55 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I assumed he got it from a Pub name, I was going to bring in the Naval side of things but not sure the moderators would approve.
He had 10,000 men in the naval?!

Didn't anyone tell him he'd missed the mark?

"Uh, excuse me Sir York, that's not where it, uh, goes, sir!"
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

duke_of_york is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, yeah she has a name
man that is depressing that its so hard. I thought 6 months of job hunting for a sponsor, but not years.

I mean years! wow. Can't you just buy a business there? i mean the limit is only $150k right? (can you put debt into that ) thats £90-100k, I could save that in a less time than a few years. Just go and buy some small business somewhere and get in that way? Probably a silly idea.

Or could study a masters or mba there for a year, go on a student visa and spend a year job hunting. But that needs quite a bit of funding, and with limited scholorships available is less suitable.

Maybe just silly ideas, but just thinking.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:37 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

haha, yeah she has a name
man that is depressing that its so hard. I thought 6 months of job hunting for a sponsor, but not years.

I mean years! wow. Can't you just buy a business there? i mean the limit is only $150k right? (can you put debt into that ) thats £90-100k, I could save that in a less time than a few years. Just go and buy some small business somewhere and get in that way? Probably a silly idea.

Or could study a masters or mba there for a year, go on a student visa and spend a year job hunting. But that needs quite a bit of funding, and with limited scholorships available is less suitable.

Maybe just silly ideas, but just thinking.
get married = PROBLEM SOLVED
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
get married = PROBLEM SOLVED
haha, not that simple...FAR from that simple.
If only the US had a highly skilled migrant worker program like the US...that would be awesome
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, not that simple...FAR from that simple.
If only the US had a highly skilled migrant worker program like the UK...that would be awesome
If only Duke... If only............
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:39 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Not so silly...

If you have the cash, an E-2 visa is a posibility. On a low investment amount (Low to them <$1,000,000.00)they like very little leverage (most money from your OWN pocket)

With E-2, you control the business start up and investment, so to me, it puts you in more control of your destiny than hoping someone will hire you and transfer you. You just need the $$$$. and the guts to invest it "AT RISK"

For investment of less than $1MM, but more than $150,000 I would consider the E visa. (E visa also does not lead to Permanent Residency, but you may change your plans on marriage after a couple of years, and fix it that way)

Research E-2 Visa, and consider if it's for you
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

well im still thinking 6 months applying for H visas may give me something, i guess i just need to cast my net wider than I first thought.
if i need to save £100k then so be it,
just buy a starbucks franchise hahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.