We all gotta start somewhere

Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

duke_of_york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We all gotta start somewhere

Ok, seriously thinking of moving out to the states NYC:
Obviously ive read about the huge visa issues, and without family there im prob looking at a H1B. So my quetion is....how freakin hard are they reaaaallly?
im 27
1 degree biology (2:1)
1 masters degree complutational biology (distinction)
Qualified as ACA accountant in 2007 with big 4 firm
Currently work in invesment banking for about 18 months now

Id like to stay in banking but to be fair im not that fussed, just really want to get over to the states (NYC only...well anywhere commutable) in any job

Realistically what are my chances? and timescales?
I know people will say they are really hard...but how hard....like 6 months of applying....6 years?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We all gotta start somewhere

Originally Posted by duke_of_york
Ok, seriously thinking of moving out to the states NYC:
Obviously ive read about the huge visa issues, and without family there im prob looking at a H1B. So my quetion is....how freakin hard are they reaaaallly?
im 27
1 degree biology (2:1)
1 masters degree complutational biology (distinction)
Qualified as ACA accountant in 2007 with big 4 firm

Id like to stay in banking but to be fair im not that fussed, just really want to get over to the states (NYC only...well anywhere commutable) in any job

I know people will say they are really hard...but how hard....like 6 months of applying....6 years?
All you need is somebody in the US to sponsor your H1, Once somebody is ready, apply for H1 - 1 month (Premium processing), Apply for visa - may be 1 month to get a interview. Then book your flight and move. Spend your Christmas in NYC. Thats the fastest it can happen.

Now lets look at the reality:

1) Find a Job.. How, Who, When, Where... its a long story. (Unless you are head hunted )

2) Your current mobility issues:

Can you pickup everything and leave asap? how long do you need....

3) Will the embassy be satisfied with you and the company that gave you a job.. do they want to do some Administrative processing....

Everything else is easy...
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sudha
All you need is somebody in the US to sponsor your H1, Once somebody is ready, apply for H1 - 1 month (Premium processing), Apply for visa - may be 1 month to get a interview. Then book your flight and move. Spend your Christmas in NYC. Thats the fastest it can happen.

1) Find a Job.. How, Who, When, Where... its a long story. (Unless you are head hunted )

3) Will the embassy be satisfied with you and the company that gave you a job.. do they want to do some Administrative processing....

wow thanks for the quick responce. Question is, given my cv what are chances of actually finding a company. I mean if i had a crap cv obviously there's no chance...but my cv isnt too bad right? what are the chances?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

wow thanks for the quick responce. Question is, given my cv what are chances of actually finding a company. I mean if i had a crap cv obviously there's no chance...but my cv isnt too bad right? what are the chances?
Start here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you want a permanent future in the US the only "easy" employment based way is a transfer as a multinational executive/manager. Also, be prepared to do the US CPA exam.

H1-B visa may be an option if you can find an employer to sponsor for a skilled/professional level occupation (not easy), H1-B isn't a great visa to live on and depending on the nature of the job, it could take years to get a green card.

Have you considered Australia? It's a more straightforward immigration proposition, but even Australia is closing the doors and if it's open to you now, that may not be the case in future.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 20th 2009 at 11:15 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Start here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you want a permanent future in the US the only "easy" employment based way is a transfer as a multinational executive/manager. Also, be prepared to do the US CPA exam.

Have you considered Australia? It's a more straightforward immigration proposition, but even Australia is closing the doors and if it's open to you now, that may not be the case in future.
my firm doesnt have US operations that could accomodate me. So id need to find another employer. Am i gettting the sense my cv wont be enough??
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha

Welcome to BE.

You should have stayed with the Big 4 and applied to move to their NYC offices...that's how we moved here. Do you still have any connections there? Finding a job will most likely be tough considering today's economic climate. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So my quetion is....how freakin hard are they reaaaallly?
Since you ask... H-1B visas are currently quite easy to get. The big problem is finding a company to sponsor you. So... the question should be, "How difficult is it to find an H-1B sponsoring company?" The answer to that, I'm afraid, is "very difficult". Companies don't advertise their willingness. There are online lists available - but they're offered by companies whose intent is to get your money and deliver nothing.

So... companies don't advertise, and lots of scam sites available.

If you want a company to sponsor you, you're going to need to be in the US looking for a job... and the only way to realistically do that, is to use the VWP and do what you can within the 90 days allowed on the VWP. Tough? You bet; especially in the current economic climate.

US companies that took TARP bailout money from the US government are not allowed to sponsor for H-1B visas.

Id like to stay in banking...
For most folks in the US, "investment banking" is a bad, bad phrase. So, just as well you're not fussed about staying in the industry.

Okay... I'll bite. Realistically, your chances are less than 50% but greater than probably 20% - but only because you've got a master's degree. As for timescales... that really depends on how aggressive you are at marketing yourself.

Now, that said... there are hundreds of thousands of US citizens and PRs who are currently out of work, eligible to start *immediately*, and who don't need sponsoring. Suffice to say, you've got quite the uphill battle.

As others have suggested, you might want to look at Australia or perhaps Canada (most parts have roughly the same weather patterns as NYC; some parts have much better weather than NYC).

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

You should have stayed with the Big 4 and applied to move to their NYC offices...that's how we moved here. Do you still have any connections there? Finding a job will most likely be tough considering today's economic climate. Good luck.
You get a job the same way as you would in the UK.

But with complications, ask yourself why would someone go to the trouble and expense of employing you and go from there.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:09 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

it's a pity you hadn't stuck with science, you'd have a better chance of getting a job- I have an MSc in biomedical science, and when I was looking for work I found that alot of the big hospitals have their own immigration department. There seems to be a shortage of experienced medical scientists (lucky for me), the challenge is finiding a job that exactly meets your qualifications- you can't just take a basic level job if you have 10 years experience, and there also seems to be plenty of US citizens to fill the lower level jobs, it's tricky.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe you could try under the alien of extraordinary ability?
find an immigration attorney that is willing to give you a 30 mins or so free consultation and ask him/her what your options are with all your qualifications.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
maybe you could try under the alien of extraordinary ability?
find an immigration attorney that is willing to give you a 30 mins or so free consultation and ask him/her what your options are with all your qualifications.
In before caleyjag throws cold water on that idea...

An H1 would be much easier for him than an O1. But the real problem will be finding a willing employer.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

An H1 would be much easier for him than an O1. But the real problem will be finding a willing employer.
This doesn't sound like a good starting-point for O1: Id like to stay in banking but to be fair im not that fussed, just really want to get over to the states
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Exactly what I was thinking. Best bet is to go back to Big 4 (or other US majority owned multinational with presence in the UK), work hard, get inter-company transfer.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

Hahaha.

I was about to let rip.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys, you guys are so nice

between 50 and 20% odds eh. Ha well i hope closer to 50%

One approach I dont want to do is to join a big 4 in the UK and then transfer, it will take years of slogging in the UK to do that.
Im not willing to look anywhere but new york

tips on best places to hunt for jobs, efinancial careers, monster etc. i know most of them will not be willing to sponsor and reject out of hand, but some might take a look.
any other good places to look?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.