want to stay over 90 days ?!

Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:16 am
Just Joined

ab3834 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: want to stay over 90 days ?!

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Please define "sabbatical." It will help answer your question.
A career break, an unpaid holiday .........

My original plan until I found out the vwp 90 day rule, was to take 4 to 5 months off work and be a ski bum, however that has been refined slightly.

As to an earlier poster, NO I do not need to work, I would be doing a ski season Dec to April as a tourist on holiday.

ty
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ab3834
A career break, an unpaid holiday .........

My original plan until I found out the vwp 90 day rule, was to take 4 to 5 months off work and be a ski bum, however that has been refined slightly.

As to an earlier poster, NO I do not need to work, I would be doing a ski season Dec to April as a tourist on holiday.

ty
Hi:

Actually, what I am aiming at is whether or not the "sabbatical" is formal or informal. I know that formal sabbaticals can be paid or unpaid. Some sabbaticals are part of quite formal programs, especially in academia. Some are just I am taking five months off from work with no particular guarantee of returning to work.

The type of sabbatical and any concomitant guarantee of return to work may be a factor in whether or not a visa may be granted.

Also, what is your travel history?

Many people here through out conclusions to answer very general questions. The devil is often in the details.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Actually, what I am aiming at is whether or not the "sabbatical" is formal or informal. I know that formal sabbaticals can be paid or unpaid. Some sabbaticals are part of quite formal programs, especially in academia. Some are just I am taking five months off from work with no particular guarantee of returning to work.

The type of sabbatical and any concomitant guarantee of return to work may be a factor in whether or not a visa may be granted.

Also, what is your travel history?

Many people here through out conclusions to answer very general questions. The devil is often in the details.

It is an informal break I guess, I have my own company in the UK, so it is a short career break / long holiday

My travel history ? the odd holiday / business trip, nothing much to be honest in the last few years.

Im thinking of just forgetting the visa idea as it just sounds a pain in the tits, and will just go for a long holiday in the new year
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ab3834
It is an informal break I guess, I have my own company in the UK, so it is a short career break / long holiday

My travel history ? the odd holiday / business trip, nothing much to be honest in the last few years.

Im thinking of just forgetting the visa idea as it just sounds a pain in the tits, and will just go for a long holiday in the new year
Hi:

If you are talking about five months off of work without the need to work yourself, if would seem to me that you have a few extra coins of the realm to pay for a consultation with a London based attorney versed in US immigration law.

Your plan strikes me as straightforward and perfectly within the law. It is a matter of how it is presented.

It may be a pain in the rear end or it might be a fairly tasty piece of cake.

Don't give up so easy. Good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Just do your ski season in Canada instead, and nip down to the US for the odd week.

Sorted.

Canada has absolutely terrific skiing. It will blow your mind. In addition, Whistler is the premiere ski resort in North America.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

I have skied both Canada (Whistler) & USA quite a few times and I prefer Colorado by a country mile, Canada is just too bloody cold