want to stay over 90 days ?!

Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:39 am
Just Joined

ab3834 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to stay over 90 days ?!

Hi guys :

planning on taking a work sabatical :

Im planning on travelling to the states to do a ski season, now I understand the VWP is for 90 days no more no less.

My options as I understand it:

apply for a B-2 visa (have relatives in the states so can use their address ) is this OK ?

can I leave the states during my 90 days - ie return to UK and then go back to the states and resume my ski season with a fresh 90 days ?

dont really fancy the idea of having any restrictions / penalties imposed on me for being naughty and overstaying my welcome. Could be a bad move for me professionally to have restrictions travelling to the US in the future.

any info appreciated.

thanks

Alan
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:03 am
Banned

sillyestaquestions is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Overstayed visa waiver by just 8 days - will i encounter problem upon re-entry?

Originally Posted by lansbury
In the 1990s at Heathrow I could get all that information including the travel agent it was book with, home address and telephone number of pax plus if they were a frequent flier with the airline details from that. Only difference was then I had to go and ask the airline to look at their reservation system and get a print out, now it is all electronic.
I entirely believe that. DHS has all of that information within an hour or two of take off or is it before take off. All that information is what the airline gathers about you and has to transmit electronically. That being said I dont think DHS would know if for example u booked a different hotel online without using a travel agent or an airline, ate in the same new york resturant twice in a week or bought a greyhound ticket using that credit card. IF they do know every move you make by your credit card and email activity flights booked cars rented hotel rented direct debit to a U.S landlord ec etc then by extension of that they know the movements of god knows how many legal and illegial immigrant. So why dont they use this information to locate illegials at all these places, most information comes from tip offs from members of the public. Far fetched at best I think.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Default want to stay over 90 days ?!

Hi guys :

Im planning on travelling to the states to do a ski season, now I understand the VWP is for 90 days no more.

My options as I understand it:

apply for a B-2 visa (have relatives in the states so can use their address ) is this OK ? ie is this the best way of going about things ? how easy / hard is it ? I have no convictions etc so cant imagine any issues ?

can I leave the states during my 90 days - ie return to UK and then go back to the states and resume my ski season with a fresh 90 days ?

dont really fancy the idea of having any restrictions / penalties imposed on me for being naughty and overstaying my welcome. Could be a bad move for me professionally to have restrictions travelling to the US in the future.

any info appreciated.

thanks

Alan
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to stay over 90 days ?!

Originally Posted by ab3834
If that's the case then take the 90 days (but probably plan for 85) and then spend the rest of the time in Canada. If you apply for a B-2 you run the risk of being denied and then you are in an awkward situation that can easily be avoided by taking the 90 days.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstayed visa waiver by just 8 days - will i encounter problem upon re-entry?

I understand the VWP is for 90 days no more no less.
Yes.

apply for a B-2 visa (have relatives in the states so can use their address ) is this OK ?
Yes, it's okay... but realize that you likely won't get a B-2 visa if you're eligible to use the VWP.

Yes, but you may be refused entry at any time. Rule of thumb - spend at least as much time out of the US as you just spent inside the US. In other words, going back to the UK for a day/week and then turning around and coming back to the US may give the immigration officer the idea that you're trying to live in the US. Even if that's not your intent, if he believes it, he'll refuse you entry... and there is no appeal process whatsoever. Once you've been refused entry on the VWP, you can not thereafter use the VWP again and must apply for a B-2 visa to visit.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Answered here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=73.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian - I guessed that it was tricky and probably a bit dodgy to try to sneak back for a short break.

appreciate your input.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Had a bit of an idea ???

Fly to the states 1st Dec, spend 2 weeks there sorting my digs out etc

fly home to UK for 2 weeks xmas / new year

then fly back to states after new year with (hopefully) the new vwp of 90 days.

that seems reasonable in my head, I appreciate its all down the Border guy if he thinks your iffy or not....
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Im planning on travelling to the states to do a ski season,
What exactly do you mean by 'do' a season in the US?
Ski only? Visit? Travel? Work the slopes? A bar? give lessons?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Had a bit of an idea ???

Fly to the states 1st Dec, spend 2 weeks there sorting my digs out etc

fly home to UK for 2 weeks xmas / new year

then fly back to states after new year with (hopefully) the new vwp of 90 days.

that seems reasonable in my head, I appreciate its all down the Border guy if he thinks your iffy or not....
I think you'll probably be okay with that plan.

The usual advice is to bring plenty of evidence of ties to the UK and your intent to return at the end of your stay. Letter from job, lease agreement or mortgage info on your apartment/home, etc. Just in case.

- Eric S.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Im planning on travelling to the states to do a ski season, now I understand the VWP is for 90 days no more no less.
It can be for less, but not more.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It can be for less, but not more.
I was going to write that as well in my first response, but I remember someone's post from the FAM (? might have been something else) that stated that entry on the VWP is for 90 days or 0 days, with nothing in between. So... no less, no more.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I was going to write that as well in my first response, but I remember someone's post from the FAM (? might have been something else) that stated that entry on the VWP is for 90 days or 0 days, with nothing in between. So... no less, no more.

Ian
Oh, interesting. So the actual VWP entry is for either 0 or 90. It's up to the individual how long to stay...up to the 90 day mark. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys :

Hi:

Please define "sabbatical." It will help answer your question.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Please define "sabbatical." It will help answer your question.
Unpaid leave in American

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.