VWP and Frequency of Visits

Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

sjmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VWP and Frequency of Visits

Hello all,

I have been looking through previous threads about this topic, and understand that no-one can tell me the answer to this for certain. I am merely looking for opinions/advice.

To give a brief description of my situation - my boyfriend is American, and I am British. I am planning on going to see him for a week in October. I have previously visited for a week in June and two weeks in August this year. He is coming over for two weeks over New Year and I plan on returning March for a week or two and then for two months over the summer. I am currently a teaching student (having just left my job in August) so I have reason to return to the UK.

Do you think I will have any problems at POE? I gather it depends on the POE Officer I happen to get that day...

Many thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

sjmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VWP and Frequency of Visits

Also meant to ask, IF I do get denied in October, is it noted anywhere and does this count against me for my planned March visit? It is getting me a little stressed out!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Jodie_London is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=682715&page=4

Hi,

I asked the same questions a couple of days ago.

What I learned is that unfortunately there is no rule and it really depends on the POE officer and whether he/she believes you or not (ie believes that you will return to the UK).

What I know for sure is that if you are denied entry, then you will not be able to travel on the VWP anymore.

But I don't mean to be negative at all. I am in the very same situation, and quite stressed out too! :-)
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjmack
... and understand that no-one can tell me the answer to this for certain.
With respect, you answered your own question.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, you answered your own question.

Ian
Ian,

I think that what both SjMack and I are trying to ask here is:

What suggestions would you give to someone in a Long Distance Relationship with a USC in terms of frequency of travel and length of stay to and in the US?

I know that there is always the possibility of denial. But there is also always the possibility to be hit by a car when crossing the road. Looking carefully both sides may decrease that chance.

What is the equivalent of looking both sides of the street for incoming cars, in the VWP world?

We would just like some advice by someone who has gone through similar experiences and has been able to make it work.

Thank you for your time.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:50 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodie_London
Ian,

I think that what both SjMack and I are trying to ask here is:

What suggestions would you give to someone in a Long Distance Relationship with a USC in terms of frequency of travel and length of stay to and in the US?
It's spelled out a million times* in as many threads:

1. Spend as much time out of the US as in it. This applies to individual trips and as an overall average.
2. Make sure you can demonstrate STRONG ties to your home country to the POE officer.
3. It doesn't matter what other people's experiences are: YOU are the person who needs to convince them to let YOU in.
4. The POE officers WILL have access to all your prior entry information: you had better be able to remember and explain all your prior visits.
5. It's their job to keep people out, unless they are convinced you don't pose an immigration risk (unless you are authorized to immigrate).
6. It all boils down to "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you? Punk?"

Nobody can give you any advice that will guarantee that you won't end up on the next plane back, except "Don't ever try to enter the US."

*Possibly a slight exaggeration...
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The vast majority of visitors to the US do not have a romantic involvement, come to see the Mouse and have very little issue with US immigration.

I have known personally people trying it on with success, a working holiday, a friend who effectively lived here for nearly 10 years as a visitor.

I do not know personally anybody who has had issues. My Brother worked for an American firm and they got a note around about the dangers of making too many visits on the VWP.

Personally I used to visit the US 3 or 4 times a year, longest one was just over 2 weeks, I only had so much holiday.

I did try for a B2, did not know then what I know now otherwise I would not have wasted my time and money.

Obviously when you are pushing your luck, asking whether you will be lucky or not is a tricky one to answer. How lucky are you?

You could do back to back 90 day VWP entries and get away with it for several years if you are really lucky.

My guess is that you will more than likely get a warning first rather than be sent back, but there are no certainties.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
My guess is that you will more than likely get a warning first rather than be sent back, but there are no certainties.
Thank you, this is helpful.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:26 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, this is helpful.
Make sure you pay as much attention to the last four words in Boiler's post as all the rest. And as you've indicated that you know above, a denial of entry on the VWP means bye-bye to the VWP route for ever.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Make sure you pay as much attention to the last four words in Boiler's post as all the rest. And as you've indicated that you know above, a denial of entry on the VWP means bye-bye to the VWP route for ever.
Absolutely.

In all honesty, whereas I appreciate the risk and the absolute impossibility of knowing what the POE office will decide, my trips to the US have always been <10 days and I spent less than 30 in the US in the last year (and less in the previous ones), so after reading all the threads, I think there is a high possibility of more "questions" and possibily a secondary interview but I would say that it is probably unlikely to be refused entry completely, considering I do have a job, I do rent a house and I will have the letter and contract from my landlord, I have my mum and dad in Europe and I have always behaved.

So, yes, I do give the same important to the last words, I understand the risks, but I think I am being realistic.

To be on the safe side, I ll probably won't go in September, so I will have spent basically 6 months in the UK after my last 1 week trip.

I think it is reasonable.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:49 am
Shocked of Redmond

Absolutely.

In all honesty, whereas I appreciate the risk and the absolute impossibility of knowing what the POE office will decide, my trips to the US have always been <10 days and I spent less than 30 in the US in the last year (and less in the previous ones), so after reading all the threads, I think there is a high possibility of more "questions" and possibily a secondary interview but I would say that it is probably unlikely to be refused entry completely, considering I do have a job, I do rent a house and I will have the letter and contract from my landlord, I have my mum and dad in Europe and I have always behaved.

So, yes, I do give the same important to the last words, I understand the risks, but I think I am being realistic.

To be on the safe side, I ll probably won't go in September, so I will have spent basically 6 months in the UK after my last 1 week trip.

I think it is reasonable.
Cool. It sounds to me as though you really do understand the risks, and are being way more realistic than a lot of the other posters we see. You have my best wishes (they are worth what you paid for them )

Good luck, though on the balance of probabilities, you're going to be fine...