Out of the Country on OPT

Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

columbiagrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Out of the Country on OPT

I was granted my opt visa earlier this year. The start date was june 1st. I got a job starting June 18th but had an accident and developed an ankle injury. My boss at my internship said i could work remotely while i go back to the uk for treatment. I will be able to go back to the US in about a month or so. That will make it October though and I'm worried i will have difficulties at immigration given that iv been out of the country for more than 90 days.

Any advice?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:21 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of the Country on OPT

F1-OPT status always has some risk when entering the US. You would be better off getting an H1 visa since you aren't planning to work until October 1 anyway. Besides, an OPT can't last long, and you'll need an H1 anyway if you are planning on working here in the longer term.

Originally Posted by columbiagrad
I was granted my opt visa earlier this year. The start date was june 1st. I got a job starting June 18th but had an accident and developed an ankle injury. My boss at my internship said i could work remotely while i go back to the uk for treatment. I will be able to go back to the US in about a month or so. That will make it October though and I'm worried i will have difficulties at immigration given that iv been out of the country for more than 90 days.

Any advice?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 2:01 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Just travel as the F-1 w/OPT but bring evidence that you will be participating with the OPT program upon return just in case they are concerned about the break. I wouldn't go with H-1 advice. Getting an H-1 isn't like getting a loaf of bread at the corner store. It's an expensive pain in the rear and your employer would not appreciate the extra fees. You already have the correct documentation to do what you want to do. Don't just change it up because of a concern that can be overcome. I don't see it as especially risky, especially for people who went to Columbia. There is not a rash of such people being denied entry.

If you are interested in employment past the expiration of OPT then you would need a work visa.

Last edited by crg; Aug 28th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbiagrad

Any advice?
What did your FSA have to say about it?