VWP fee instituted

Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:05 am
Banned

igotheesta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VWP fee instituted

Originally Posted by lansbury
FFS I was taking the p*ss. At least I was being intentionally stupid.
I know!

The reason behind it as much as generating revenue and "promoting tourism" like it needs promoting - New York Vegas, Florida, LA they all are self promoting aren't they? - is clearly to put these online people who will fill in your esta for 10 quid out of business. I can't see anyone using anything but the offical CPB esta site now can you? An Esta off those guys might now cost 20 or 25 quid. They're done!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Ya think? I heard it was 'cos word got around that you were going to be there.
I ain't that desperate to move to America mate The problem I think people have with is giving up your credit card information to CPB or whoever. Of course they little realise that the airlines do that for you
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igotheesta
I know!

The reason behind it as much as generating revenue and "promoting tourism" like it needs promoting - New York Vegas, Florida, LA they all are self promoting aren't they? - is clearly to put these online people who will fill in your esta for 10 quid out of business. I can't see anyone using anything but the offical CPB esta site now can you? An Esta off those guys might now cost 20 or 25 quid. They're done!
When I first filled out an ESTA form I Googled it. None of the top few results, sponsored or not, at the time were the CBP official site but instead companies offering to fill it in for you, at a price (it is now top of the search). Is the average holidaymaker going to know which the "real" website is?

There was an article in a newspaper last week about getting copies of marriage/birth certificates in the UK. Again, the top search results were for agencies scraping a fee from a service that you can officially get for much cheaper. And, again, is the average person going to know the GRO website is the correct, official one? I'd never heard of it before.

Sadly, there are always scammers out there to scab money off the unwary.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by GeoffM
When I first filled out an ESTA form I Googled it. None of the top few results, sponsored or not, at the time were the CBP official site but instead companies offering to fill it in for you, at a price (it is now top of the search). Is the average holidaymaker going to know which the "real" website is?

There was an article in a newspaper last week about getting copies of marriage/birth certificates in the UK. Again, the top search results were for agencies scraping a fee from a service that you can officially get for much cheaper. And, again, is the average person going to know the GRO website is the correct, official one? I'd never heard of it before.

Sadly, there are always scammers out there to scab money off the unwary.
Thank you! I think those companies can consider themselves out of business now!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't agreeing with you.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Why? If someone's stupid enough to hand out a tenner for something that should be free they'll be stupid enough to fork over twenty for something that should be ten.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Four of the $14 will cover ESTA operating costs, and $10 will go toward promoting the United States as a tourist destination.

Charging tourists to promote tourism doesn't make sense, critics say.

"It's like inviting a friend over for dinner and then charging them a fee at the door," said Steve Lott, a spokesman for the International Air Transport Association, which represents airlines around the world.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-08/t...n?_s=PM:TRAVEL
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tonrob
Why? If someone's stupid enough to hand out a tenner for something that should be free they'll be stupid enough to fork over twenty for something that should be ten.
So you rather pay me £25 then just fork over the £10 from the comfort of your own computer. You still to pay that £10 charge from either end

The main reason is to put these companies charging for ESTA out of business. I can't imagine DHS being happy at people making money on their backs so to speak and now there days are done you watch.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Four of the $14 will cover ESTA operating costs, and $10 will go toward promoting the United States as a tourist destination.

Charging tourists to promote tourism doesn't make sense, critics say.

"It's like inviting a friend over for dinner and then charging them a fee at the door," said Steve Lott, a spokesman for the International Air Transport Association, which represents airlines around the world.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-08/t...n?_s=PM:TRAVEL
America is self promoting to a certain degree. Obama has been clever he will rake millions towards the country's debts on this. A brilliant idea we need to copy it quick
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine DHS being happy at people making money on their backs so to speak and now there days are done you watch.
DHS don't give a rat's arse, I'm sure.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nettlebed
DHS don't give a rat's arse, I'm sure.
Arent all these profit seeking sites not to a certain degree perhaps copromising passport security. You would give out a lot of information and you don't really have a clue who is on the other end of that website do you?? It is not your dealing with offical CPB government employees is it? I am surprised that haven't voiced serious problems with them before now?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

So you rather pay me £25 then just fork over the £10 from the comfort of your own computer. You still to pay that £10 charge from either end

The main reason is to put these companies charging for ESTA out of business. I can't imagine DHS being happy at people making money on their backs so to speak and now there days are done you watch.
You logic and powers of reasoning are absolutely beyond belief.

In order to put companies out of business who charge to fill out the ESTA you think the US has gone from making it free to charging. "OK Joe those buggers who charge people 10 quid for a ESTA form while we do it for free, I've got a way to put them out of business lets charge 9 quid that will show them whose boss"
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

WTF are you on about?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lansbury
You logic and powers of reasoning are absolutely beyond belief.

In order to put companies out of business who charge to fill out the ESTA you think the US has gone from making it free to charging. "OK Joe those buggers who charge people 10 quid for a ESTA form while we do it for free, I've got a way to put them out of business lets charge 9 quid that will show them whose boss"
Those guys are now charging 20 pounds aren't they? No matter who you file it with you still gotta pay the £9 charge no way around that. I don't know if I would have used one of those sites before but I wouldn't now. It was on sky news they guy from Homeland Security was on and he was encourging you to use their site. Mark my words by August 2012 them profit making sites will be out of business
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Arent all these profit seeking sites not to a certain degree perhaps copromising passport security. You would give out a lot of information and you don't really have a clue who is on the other end of that website do you?? It is not your dealing with offical CPB government employees is it? I am surprised that haven't voiced serious problems with them before now?
Now that's a twofer: incoherent AND ungrammatical...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.