Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting US - Already have green I-94, do I still need ESTA?

Visiting US - Already have green I-94, do I still need ESTA?

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough
Default Visiting US - Already have green I-94, do I still need ESTA?

Hi,

I already have a green I-94 in my passport from when I went over the border from Canada a few weeks ago. Do I still need to apply for ESTA approval for when I fly from Vancouver to Los Angeles next week?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US - Already have green I-94, do I still need ESTA?

Originally Posted by tastyh
Hi,

I already have a green I-94 in my passport from when I went over the border from Canada a few weeks ago. Do I still need to apply for ESTA approval for when I fly from Vancouver to Los Angeles next week?

Thanks!
They did away with the green I-94W form recently, interesting that you have one.

Did you get an ESTA approval when you made the first trip a few weeks ago? If so, the ESTA approval is good for 2 years unless something in your scenario changes (i.e. you overstayed, got arrested...).

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks!
ESTA is different from the I-94W you got at the land border. You *must* have an ESTA clearance if you're going to fly.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

No you can still get one by entering at a land POE. I didn't apply for ESTA.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
ESTA is different from the I-94W you got at the land border. You *must* have an ESTA clearance if you're going to fly.
Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I already have a green I-94 in my passport from when I went over the border from Canada a few weeks ago.
Are you saying that you still have the green I-94W in your passport even though you are no longer in the US? If so, the US has no proof that you ever left the US. You must send the I-94W to:

DHS - CBP SBU
1084 South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744

Do it... and do it NOW!

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you saying that you still have the green I-94W in your passport even though you are no longer in the US? If so, the US has no proof that you ever left the US. You must send the I-94W to:
I thought that for people living in Canada, they didn't need to do that, and could reuse their I-94W through its validity?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:03 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If the departure date for the next trip is still within the 90 days on the I-94W, I'd leave it in the passport. Turn it in upon departure unless you plan to visit again before it expires. If you fly it goes to the airline on the way out. If you go by land it goes to the Canadians.