Visit USA after deportation?

Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:48 am
Just Joined

abdielclavijo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit USA after deportation?

Ok, Im Uruguayan born but am now Spain citizen. I entered USA when I was 13. I was deported when i was 18 from the US with my Uruguayan passport, this was back in 2005. They deported both of us my cousin and I. Now my cousin has Spanish citizenship as well since our dads are spanish and got us European Passports. My question is, how come my cuz travelled to the states last week and they let him in with his spanish passport? I though having a different nationality didnt matter. Well i called the embassy cuz i wanted to go visit some family for the summer and I explained my situation and they told me I have to get a visa which I have an appointment already for next week at the consulate. They told me to take the pics and stuff and the payment of the visa as well. The lady said it would be no problem If i travelled with that visa. I dont get this whole situation, how did my cousin just walked in with no visa after being deported, Yeah he was deported with a uruguayan passport and now enterd as spanish, but wtf????
What can I do to visit for at least two weeks, the guy that gave me the appointment for the visa didnt seem interested and was very rude with me, how do I know im not gonna go sit there and they´re gonna be like NO YOU CANT GO BACK!!! HELP
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visit USA after deportation?

A Biblical Parable comes to mind.

I would guess that he is younger than you.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

nop he´s 22 in fact, older than me. Im 21.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing is definite when it comes to immigration. You could enter with your Spanish passport and you'd might be OK but you might not. If you ask a US embassy then the 'official' answer will be that you need a visa. You might travel with your Spanish passport 10 times and be fine, but then on the 11th time something might be flagged up and then you'd be banned on two passports! The short answer is that the only way you can be sure (as sure as you can be) that you'll be allowed in is if you apply for the Visa. You could not bother and just try your luck and the chances are you'll be alright..... but you could always get stopped and turned back. There is no definite answer and nobody here will be able to give you one.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Yeah I guess, i´ve heard so many different stories and that´s what has me confused. Even the guy at the consulate tells me on the phone, that not even the visa guarantees my entry so it´s crazy, im not saying dont be strict but if ur gonna be strict like follow your own rules and stick by them if it´s yes is yes and no is no, not maybe , not yes today no tomorrow I dont know it´s really frustrating. Thanx for ur answer anyways
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdielclavijo
Even the guy at the consulate tells me on the phone, that not even the visa guarantees my entry...
This is true. It is the immigration officer at the port of entry who decides whether or not to allow you into the US. Having a visa helps, but it is never a guarantee. This has been a well established fact for many, many years now - but it sounds as if you're only just now finding out about it.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your Cousin got lucky, he may not be so lucky next time.

They made a mistake letting him in, he was not eligible for the VWP.

Mistakes happen.