Visas before marriage

Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

timetogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas before marriage

I'm currently in the US as a visitor. I have been living with my boyfriend in Central/South America for the last year and for one reason or another I am in the States. My boyfriend can only really get work here and I want to stay. All these visas and immigration talk is making my head spin. Can anyone tell me in simple terms if theres any hope for me staying? I'm not too positive but if theres any hope i'd like to hear about it. I don't want to have to get married for immigration purposes, i'd rather wait for when we want to get married.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas before marriage

Originally Posted by timetogo
I'm currently in the US as a visitor. I have been living with my boyfriend in Central/South America for the last year and for one reason or another I am in the States. My boyfriend can only really get work here and I want to stay. All these visas and immigration talk is making my head spin. Can anyone tell me in simple terms if theres any hope for me staying? I'm not too positive but if theres any hope i'd like to hear about it. I don't want to have to get married for immigration purposes, i'd rather wait for when we want to get married.
Unless you can find your own way in, such as work visa or student visa, there isn't anything else that will allow you to just stay in the USA with your boyfriend. I'm guessing he is a US Citizen, right?

Probably your only hope of living and working in the USA is through marriage to your USC boyfriend. There are a couple of ways to go about this; one is a fiance visa, and one is a spouse visa.

There may be another option open to you, but you and your boyfriend should have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney while you and he are still in the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timetogo
This article discusses your options for living and working in the US: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

timetogo is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your help