Visa waiver scheme

Old Apr 17th 2001, 2:12 am
Tim Sheppard

My girlfriend (a US citizen) and I (UK citizen) wish to live together until we are
able to marry. She is currently married and is in the initial stages of divorcing her
husband. We both work and either could support the other in our own country. We plan
for her to come to the UK as a visitor until her divorce is final, then both return
to the US to get married and permanently reside there.

Am I right in thinking that under the visa waiver scheme she could only stay with me
for 6 months until she would have to leave the country and should her divorce not be
final by that time, how long would she have to be away before she could come and
visit for a further 6 months?

If on the other hand, I chose to live with her until her divorce is final (I
understand when this happens we could apply for a fiancée's visa) I would be limited
to 90 days at a time so how long would I have to be out of the US so I could return
again for a further 90 days?

Or is there another easier way ? (no jokes about disposing of the husband please)

Thanks in advance - Tim

Old Apr 17th 2001, 4:49 am
aosus

As far as I know, you can't start the K-1 Visa process, until your girlfriend has the
divorce papers on hand. Also the K-1 visa is good for only one entry to the US. and
you must marry on the next 90 days after your entry to the US.

There is a good website for K1 (I don't remember the URL) I am sure somebody will let
you know the address.

>
together until
    >
stages
    >
other in
    >
until her
    >
permanently
    >
    >
    >
only stay
    >
should
    >
away
    >
    >
    >
final (I
    >
would be
    >
the US so
    >
    >
    >
husband
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 17th 2001, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you are right about the lenght of time allowed in each country.I would check with ins at the web site or the consulate, as to what is exceptable use of the visa waiver, I'm not sure about the uk side, I could guess that they might have similar rules about the visa waiver there but not sure. I've read other posts in this group or one of the others that the ins doesn't really like it when people abuse the visa waiver program by entering and staying in the us for 90 days and they leaving only to return a week or two later for another 90 days. Have you check out other types of visas, such as working here or there for either one of you? Best of luck to you.