Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

visa waiver program: you might like to know

visa waiver program: you might like to know

Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa waiver program: you might like to know

Originally Posted by Ray
Or his close relative .. Matt Udall Immigration Attorney and Thespian
Oops.......... good catch - thanks Ray !!! :embaressed_smile: .......... sorry MATT !!!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

yc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really nice

Hi Guys, I'm back again, looking for another piece of advice, please.

OH and I are arranging to meet with a highly recommended Immigration Attorney, before I depart US on Saturday. In the meantime I have still be trying to read and learn all I can about the VWP and B2 visas. I have also spoken to a couple of other attorney's and they can't understand why I was advised to get a B2. I've checked through my passports, and during the past 6.5 years I've spent 43 weeks in the US in total. They seem to think this is quite minimal compared to others using th VWP, and also suggested that ESTA would have denied me the visa immediately if there was and indication of abuse of this visa.

If I get the same scenario from the meeting with attorney later this week, do you think it would be wise to try and speak to an IO in Newark on Saturday, when I'm returning home, just to clarify exactly what I did wrong? I did explain to the attorneys I've spoken with already, exactly what the IO said to me last week Re: B2, but, they seem to think that the IO issued me with misguided advice. In a nutshell they've said, I run a very high risk of being denied B2, given then the VWP criteria, and that I more than meet these requirements, and that I've never overstayed, and in their opinion have left more than enough time between visits.

I'm so confused about all this conflicting advice , and your opinion would be much appreciated; thanks Guys!

Last edited by yc2m; Mar 31st 2009 at 7:13 am. Reason: typo!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yc2m
If I get the same scenario from the meeting with attorney later this week, do you think it would be wise to try and speak to an IO in Newark on Saturday, when I'm returning home, just to clarify exactly what I did wrong?
I don't think this will really help you at all, because it won't be the same POE agent letting you through on your next visit. It is really up to the POE agent, each and every time you visit the USA, so the advice of one won't necessarily match the way another one feels about it on the day you actually arrive next time.

Rene
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think this will really help you at all, because it won't be the same POE agent letting you through on your next visit. It is really up to the POE agent, each and every time you visit the USA, so the advice of one won't necessarily match the way another one feels about it on the day you actually arrive next time.

Rene
The same goes for what the attorneys have said... it doesn't matter what their opinion is, only the particular border agent you're dealing with at any given moment.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:37 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I have also spoken to a couple of other attorney's and they can't understand why I was advised to get a B2.
That's what I said too. They cannot compel people to stop using the VWP without a formal visa waiver refusal.

Contacting an IO in Newark would be pointless. As the others have pointed out, they could say "Sure, no problem, come on back anytime" and they are not bound by anything the IO says. Just like they aren't bound by anything the other IO said about needing a B2 visa.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still go on the VWP if I were in your shoes. The 'system' says you should, so it's a risk that you have to take if you want to enter the US, and given that you are very likely to be denied the B2.

Just my opinion, btw.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

yc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I'd still go on the VWP if I were in your shoes. The 'system' says you should, so it's a risk that you have to take if you want to enter the US, and given that you are very likely to be denied the B2.

Just my opinion, btw.
Thanks, DeanUK2US; from what I've read and information obtained from immigration laywers that seems to be my best opion.
Just really worried that I will be denied entry, but unless I don't try, I guess, I'll never know.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, DeanUK2US; from what I've read and information obtained from immigration laywers that seems to be my best opion.
Just really worried that I will be denied entry, but unless I don't try, I guess, I'll never know.
No problem. Good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, if you were to apply for a B2 and get denied then would that not give you problems traveling on the Visa Waiver, you would have to tick denied a visa. Just seems to be a vicious circle, as there is always the risk of being denied entry I think I would be inclined to try using the Visa Waiver next time.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark
Just a thought, if you were to apply for a B2 and get denied then would that not give you problems traveling on the Visa Waiver, you would have to tick denied a visa. Just seems to be a vicious circle, as there is always the risk of being denied entry I think I would be inclined to try using the Visa Waiver next time.
Hi hopeful_Mark,
yeah, that would seem to be the case. I've got an appt with a highly recommened lawyer tomorrow, so hopefully they can shed some light. But, like you said, it's like a vicious circle!!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Update.....
Just back from visit to immigration lawyer, who told me, as did some of you, not to touch the B2 visa, unless I was planning to stay for > 90 days! Lawyer went through a few different possible options for my son and I to get to US, including getting married to OH, who is LPR and then filing an I-130. They did state that during this time, until a visa was available, we wouldn't be able to visit US

So there you have it guys, we will TRY and visit US on VWP, for now. During this time, I shall carry supporting evidence of my intended return to UK, which will hopefully be enough to convince IO that I have no intention of doing ANYTHING illegal, like overstaying, which I never have done and never will!

Please keep your fingers crossed that I don't get turned away at immigration and thanks for all your help, everyone!
yc2m
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Update.....
Just back from visit to immigration lawyer, who told me, as did some of you, not to touch the B2 visa, unless I was planning to stay for > 90 days! Lawyer went through a few different possible options for my son and I to get to US, including getting married to OH, who is LPR and then filing an I-130. They did state that during this time, until a visa was available, we wouldn't be able to visit US

So there you have it guys, we will TRY and visit US on VWP, for now. During this time, I shall carry supporting evidence of my intended return to UK, which will hopefully be enough to convince IO that I have no intention of doing ANYTHING illegal, like overstaying, which I never have done and never will!

Please keep your fingers crossed that I don't get turned away at immigration and thanks for all your help, everyone!
yc2m
Thanks for getting back to everyone. Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the update. Let us know how you get on next time you visit.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

They did state that during this time, until a visa was available, we wouldn't be able to visit US
Just so you know, you are not prohibited from visiting when you have an I-130 pending, but that is the most conservative stance to take.
Some people do and have no problems at all for short visits.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:32 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Just so you know, you are not prohibited from visiting when you have an I-130 pending, but that is the most conservative stance to take.
Some people do and have no problems at all for short visits.
I concur with meauxna. It's not prohibited, but it can raise concerns. The concerns can be overcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.