Visa waiver program limits

Old Nov 20th 2001, 9:55 pm
Satoshi Katsumoto

I understand that the VWP allows a 90 day trip without a visa. Is there a limit on
how often or how many times one can make a 90 day trip?

Old Nov 20th 2001, 10:32 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Satoshi Katsumoto wrote:
    >
    >

Officially there is no limit. However, every time you make an entry that is not very
long since the previous entry, you will possibly be scrutinized. The more entries and
the more frequent they are, the more scrutinization, in general. At one of these
entries, the officer at the port of entry will want proof of your intent to return to
the home country, most likely. No way to tell when this will occur.

Should you be spending more time in the Us than at home, he will probably deny entry,
based on the fact that you are not gainfully employed (obviously, since you are
always in the US). It might occur on any entry, or you might make a dozen before it
happens. Since 9/11, this scrutinization is likely to be more severe than it was in
the past, however.

You should always bring all possible proof of your intent to return to your home
country when you present at the port of entry. There are no guarantees that you won't
be sent home. Having gainful employment in your home country might be a crucial
factor in being admitted to the US, however.

If you are denied entry, you cannot use visa waiver anymore, you would have to apply
for and receive a tourist (b1/b2) visa. Obtaining a visitor visa is dependent on your
proving to the satisfaction of the consulate that you will return to the home
country. Employment is also a vital part of that proof, among other factors.

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Nov 24th 2001, 10:55 pm
Sempo Sugihara

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you are conducting business in the US - selling products for example - will that
make any difference? I would think that if you enter/leave the US very frequently on
the visa waiver program, but have legitimate business activities in the States, that
shouldn't arouse INS suspcions? Anyone have experience here?