Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa for unpaid voluntary work / internship ? Visa Waiver etc

Visa for unpaid voluntary work / internship ? Visa Waiver etc

Old May 26th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Inj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really nice
Default Visa for unpaid voluntary work / internship ? Visa Waiver etc

Hi,

Please does anyone know about visas for doing voluntary work or an internship (completely unpaid work for a charity or NGO) in the US? Do I need a special visa or can I do that on a tourist visa (visa waiver)? What if I am already in the US on a tourist visa (or visa waiver) but want to do some voluntary work? Do I have to go home, get a visa, then come back?

Right now I am in the US (visa waiver programme), returning to the UK this week. I want to return to the US in July. Am I going to have problems after a 5 or 6 week visit home? Should I apply for a six-month US tourist visa or return via the visa waiver?

Thank you
Old May 26th 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for unpaid voluntary work / internship ? Visa Waiver etc

Originally Posted by Inj2009
Please does anyone know about visas for doing voluntary work...
There's a big difference between "voluntary work" and "volunteering". You can not do *any* work - even unpaid work - if someone might otherwise be paid for doing that work. Also, you can *not* receive any benefit whatsoever for volunteering (no food, no shelter, no coupons... nothing at all).

... or an internship (completely unpaid work for a charity or NGO) in the US?
There's also a big difference between "voluntary work" and an "internship".

So... which are you doing? If you can be more precise about what you''ll actually be doing, you'll probably get a better response.

Ian
Old May 26th 2009, 10:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I am in the US (visa waiver programme), returning to the UK this week. I want to return to the US in July. Am I going to have problems after a 5 or 6 week visit home? Should I apply for a six-month US tourist visa or return via the visa waiver?

Thank you
General rule of thumb is to stay out of the USA longer than you were in it.

Unless you are of retirement age, it will probably be very difficult to be a tourist visa.

Rene
Old May 26th 2009, 11:44 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please does anyone know about visas for doing voluntary work or an internship (completely unpaid work for a charity or NGO) in the US? Do I need a special visa or can I do that on a tourist visa (visa waiver)? What if I am already in the US on a tourist visa (or visa waiver) but want to do some voluntary work? Do I have to go home, get a visa, then come back?

Thank you
We'd need some additional information about the entity that you'd be working with.

Some internships require a J-1.

Under limited circumstances a foreign visitor can volunteer without a work visa, but there are very specific criteria.

Without knowing what you'd be doing, we can't begin to tell if you can do it as a tourist.

Also, how much time do you spend in the US? What have you been up to in the US for so long? Why must you volunteer in the US? What's the rest of the story?
Old May 27th 2009, 12:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the OP's past thread will reveal much.. he probably did not know he should include SOME information for people here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610507

I would say: be cautious, Inj2009.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:50 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Reading the OP's past thread will reveal much.. he probably did not know he should include SOME information for people here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610507

I would say: be cautious, Inj2009.
Ouch. What a mess. I'm not touching this one with a 10ft pole.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Inj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really niceInj2009 is just really nice

Thanks for the responses. Sorry if I was vague. I’m really not sure about what kind of voluntary work / internship. It was just an idea of something to look in to. I hope to come back to the US for a few months, I’ll have some spare time, so I may as well put it to good use and gain a little extra experience at the same time (not to mention getting out a bit more and meeting people, for the sake of my sanity). Anyway, I think I've given up on the whole idea. More hassle than it's worth.
On the one hand vague, but on the other hand, am I stating too much? Meauxna wrote that I probably did not know that I should include “SOME” information? Why the “be cautious” warning? I mean, I’m sure it makes sense, but maybe I’m reading not enough or too much into it.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Use caution because you have long term aspirations for living in the US, and you don't want to do something to satisfy the short-term desire to be in the US that will conflict with your long range plan. Illegal work could be one of those things.
Old May 27th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Oh, I see. Thanks, Meauxna, for clarifying. You're absolutely right. I was aware that this area is rather a grey area, hence wanting to go about it the right (and legal) way with the appropriate visa if necessary. So I think that rather than risk anything I'll just give up on that plan altogether.
Old May 28th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

I plan to do some volunteer work in Florida for two weeks. This basically involves be-friending a person suffering from mental illness ( I am a mental health nurse in Australia) and giving a short presentation to the other volunteers there. I am paying for my own hotel, flights, car hire etc etc.

Could I just enter on the VWP?

many thanks

Adrian
Old May 28th 2009, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

presentation would be fine, helping a person out would not...
Old May 28th 2009, 8:26 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Bob
presentation would be fine, helping a person out would not...
It depends. Volunteering for some activities is permitted if it benefits the community at large. How did this person get selected for the befriending? What kind of organization is organizing it?
Old May 28th 2009, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
It depends. Volunteering for some activities is permitted if it benefits the community at large. How did this person get selected for the befriending? What kind of organization is organizing it?
looking after your grand kids or nursing a family member isn't though...
Old May 28th 2009, 10:50 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Bob
looking after your grand kids or nursing a family member isn't though...
Exactly.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crg14624
Thanks for the reply.

Its called Compeer and, I quote, is an "organization that helps adults and children overcome the devastating effects of mental illness, such as loneliness, isolation and low self-esteem – through the power of friendship. Our volunteer-based programs and services, which serve as a complement to therapy, provide supportive friendships for people in mental-health care – helping them on their recovery journey".

What do you think?

Adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.