Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

Old Nov 25th 2003, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

nimesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

Hello All,

I am located in India and submiitted my form to the British High Commission for the Working Holiday Maker scheme.

I have a sponsor letter and also a part-time job letter.

What kind of questions can i expect for my visa interview. I am married and am the father of a 1 yr old.

Please let me know asap. My interview date is 27th Nov 03

Regards,

Nimesh Dani
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

The Visa Office is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nimesh,

You will be expected to satisfy the authorities that you will be coming to the UK and will be intending to comply with all Working Holiday Visa regulations. It will be expected that you will have no recourse to public funds therefore they may ask you questions regarding how you intend to support yourself and your family whilst you are here in the UK.
The WHV changes implemented earlier this year in August allow an individual to come to the UK and work for the full 2 year period within which ever profession you choose (as long as it is legal!)
Both your wife and yourself will need to make seperate applications for the Working Holiday Visa if you are both coming over, and your child will be able to join you as he or she is under the age of 5.
The Entry Clearance Officer may wish to see evidence of funds available and possibly a return plane ticket to show that you do intend to return.
The most important factor to remember is to always tell the truth.

Please feel free to have a look at our website which you may find useful www.visa-office.com

Kind Regards,
The Visa Office

15 maiden Lane
Covent Garden
London
WC2E 7NG
Old Nov 25th 2003, 11:59 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday visa

Just out of interest, can people from all countries apply for this visa or is it just certain countries?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday visa

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Just out of interest, can people from all countries apply for this visa or is it just certain countries?
Only certain countries and the agreements tend to be reciprocal. The main destinations are UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, NZ, South Africa (do you sense the theme) but there other countries. WHMs in the UK get 2 years and they can work up to 8 months for a company as long as the job does not advance their career (totally unenforceable). Hence you are likely to be served a beer by an antipodean in London.

WHM going to Oz get a year and can work up to 3 months for an employer.

Generally they are for people under 30 who have sufficient funds to support themselves eg 2000 GBP. Most people who I know have had a great time on a working holiday and often they meet the love of their life.

Shame America doesn't join the party.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Generally they are for people under 30 who have sufficient funds to support themselves eg 2000 GBP.
So if my wife who is over 30 on a Kiwi Passport comes with me (on a pom passport) to the UK she is deemed a tourist? And can’t work? Unless I get a spousal entry for her, but she needs to be out the country when we apply, can she go to say Ireland while we apply then come back over? How long does a spousal entry take? Other wise the poor old thing will need to travel from NZ to UK on her own
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:50 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bald Badger
So if my wife who is over 30 on a Kiwi Passport comes with me (on a pom passport) to the UK she is deemed a tourist? And can’t work? Unless I get a spousal entry for her, but she needs to be out the country when we apply, can she go to say Ireland while we apply then come back over? How long does a spousal entry take? Other wise the poor old thing will need to travel from NZ to UK on her own
I presume she will be deemed a visitor. A working holiday maker visa needs to be applied for in advance. UK immigration is a nightmare and if you can obtain a spousal visa in NZ do so. I know people who have turned up and been booted straight out of the UK even though they had a partner there to support them.

I have no idea about the timelines from NZ. My cousin who married an Aussie WHM in London and had a nightmare and it took the home office a year to process including a lost file. This was with using a lawyer.

I was very fortunate my Australian wife was British by descent.

All the best
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Hi Bald Badger,
If you and your wife wish to return to the Uk, she will need to make an application for a 2 year marriage visa. This must be done at a British High Commission or Embassy via Entry Clearance prior to her arrival in the UK. The only Embassy that is obliged to assist her is the one in her home country, however you may wish to contact other British Embassey's possibly in Europe and ask if they may be wiling to extend the favaour and assist you. Ireland is not generally considered as it is in what is known as the 'free travel area' (between Ireland and UK).
We have had feedback that current Entry Clearance applications at the British High Commission in Wellington have only taken a couple of days. There is however no guarantee how long they may choose to take and I would suggest she doesn't book a return date until it is done.
If you contact the BHC in NZ directly they will be able to advise on current timescales that you may anticipate and also they can let you know what documents you will need to provide for the application.

Kind Regards,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
15 Maiden Lane Covent Garden
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com
Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:42 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bald Badger
My Czech wife and I (British) got married whilst we were in Australia on temporary (2.5 year) Australian visas. The British Consulate in Canberra were extremely helpful and allowed us to apply for a UK spouse entry clearance for my wife. Strictly speaking she should have gone through the British Embassy in Prague, but since we had been in Oz for over 2 years the Canberra officials decided that we were virtually Aussies and they could therefore issue the visa. She was interviewed (very briefly) and they issued it there and then. The spouse visa entitles my wife to full work rights but no right to social security for the first year. After 1 year we need to go to the Foreign Office in Croydon and apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, which I understand will require us to prove that we are still married and have been living together for the year in the UK.
I recommend phoning your local British Consulate as we found the process to be relatively easy.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

nimesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i am aware that we have no recourse to public funds. To support my application we have a sponsor who is my wife's cousin
and a british citizen.

Apart from that i am showing that i am self employed holding around 9000 pounds as my financial standing, of which 3000 pounds is what is available for my stay although our accomodation and living costs are sponsored.

I have specified a duration of 2 years to be the time that i intend to stay. I hope that does not have any negative impact on my application.

What can be an ideal answer for a question like this:

1. Why would you return to your home country at the end of your visa?

2. Why would you like to go for a WHM visa rather than a normal visitor visa?

The answers that i have prepared are these:

1. I function as the sole proprietor of my business which is going to be temporarily run by my cousin. I must return to take charge of my business. While i work in the UK i will have quite a good value of experience. On my return i wish to expand my business to take advantage of the knowledge gained to serve UK Clients with better solutions at a fraction of the cost. Apart from that i have my family, father, mother and sister, A family run business in my home country, property in my fathers name. Being the only son it is imperative for me to return to India for my family.

2. We wish to avail of a long holiday to explore UK. We've heard that UK is a beautiful country with nice tourist attractions.
It is fun to be able to earn and spend our money while we also get a chance to learn about english culture during our visit.

Let me know your views.

Originally posted by The Visa Office
Hi Nimesh,

You will be expected to satisfy the authorities that you will be coming to the UK and will be intending to comply with all Working Holiday Visa regulations. It will be expected that you will have no recourse to public funds therefore they may ask you questions regarding how you intend to support yourself and your family whilst you are here in the UK.
The WHV changes implemented earlier this year in August allow an individual to come to the UK and work for the full 2 year period within which ever profession you choose (as long as it is legal!)
Both your wife and yourself will need to make seperate applications for the Working Holiday Visa if you are both coming over, and your child will be able to join you as he or she is under the age of 5.
The Entry Clearance Officer may wish to see evidence of funds available and possibly a return plane ticket to show that you do intend to return.
The most important factor to remember is to always tell the truth.

Please feel free to have a look at our website which you may find useful www.visa-office.com

Kind Regards,
The Visa Office

15 maiden Lane
Covent Garden
London
WC2E 7NG
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I actually thought the scheme is intended to be for casual work, mainly for (single) young people with no ties and tend to be backpackers, taking casual jobs in pubs, temp secretarial work etc.

I doubt that it is intended to be for married couples with children? I don't know how a family of three can survive on 3,000 pounds for two years - even with accommodation provided - and be a 'holidaymaker'?

Nimesh - Your plan doesn't seem to be under the spirit of the rationale of the Working Holiday Visa - what sort of work have you got lined up? Will you be working with or for your cousins?.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nimesh,

The answers that you have compiled seem perfectly reasonable.
There is never any guarantee in these types of situations but as long as you are being truthful, one would hope you don't have too many problems!

Good Luck!

Melissa

The Visa Office
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bald Badger,
If you and your wife wish to return to the Uk, she will need to make an application for a 2 year marriage visa. Kind Regards,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com
thank you for the good advise Mellissa
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bald Badger,
If you and your wife wish to return to the Uk, she will need to make an application for a 2 year marriage visa. Kind Regards,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bald Badger,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com
Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bald Badger,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.