Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

Old Nov 26th 2003, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The Visa Office
Hi Bald Badger,
If you and your wife wish to return to the Uk, she will need to make an application for a 2 year marriage visa. Kind Regards,
Melissa England

The Visa Office
15 Maiden Lane Covent Garden
London
WC2 E 7NG
+44 (0)207 836 8505

www.visa-office.com
Hi Mellissa, thank you for the good advise.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:51 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa

Don't know about other countries but we did not find UK immigration to be a 'nightmare' at all for my USC husband's visa, and I'd have thought timelines would be similar in Oz. We just turned up at the British Consulate in New York and were issued the visa the same day. We did not need an appointment. I believe it takes about a week if you apply by post.
Converting from WHM to spouse from inside the UK may take longer though.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday visa

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Just out of interest, can people from all countries apply for this visa or is it just certain countries?
The Working Holiday Makers visa is only available for citizens of Commonwealth countries.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
Only certain countries and the agreements tend to be reciprocal. The main destinations are UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, NZ, South Africa (do you sense the theme) but there other countries. WHMs in the UK get 2 years and they can work up to 8 months for a company as long as the job does not advance their career (totally unenforceable). Hence you are likely to be served a beer by an antipodean in London.

WHM going to Oz get a year and can work up to 3 months for an employer.

Generally they are for people under 30 who have sufficient funds to support themselves eg 2000 GBP. Most people who I know have had a great time on a working holiday and often they meet the love of their life.

Shame America doesn't join the party.
America can't join the party
The visa is only available to citizens of Commonwealth countries.

It's also not really the case that the agreements tend to be reciprocal. For example, none of the African Commonwealth countries have any sort of WHV for British citizens, nor does India, and as far as I know nor does New Zealand.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Englishmum
I actually thought the scheme is intended to be for casual work, mainly for (single) young people with no ties and tend to be backpackers, taking casual jobs in pubs, temp secretarial work etc.

I doubt that it is intended to be for married couples with children? I don't know how a family of three can survive on 3,000 pounds for two years - even with accommodation provided - and be a 'holidaymaker'?

Nimesh - Your plan doesn't seem to be under the spirit of the rationale of the Working Holiday Visa - what sort of work have you got lined up? Will you be working with or for your cousins?.
The Working Holiday Makers visa rules changed earlier this year to allow full time work to be taken in any profession.

As for families, yes it is permitted - so long as both spouses qualify in their own rights for a WHV, and the child is under 5 years old.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by baloo
America can't join the party
The visa is only available to citizens of Commonwealth countries.

It's also not really the case that the agreements tend to be reciprocal. For example, none of the African Commonwealth countries have any sort of WHV for British citizens, nor does India, and as far as I know nor does New Zealand.
Brits can get a NZ WHV. Oz and UK have made reciprocal agreements on WHVs and examples include Japan and in the new year Italy will accept Aussies.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
Brits can get a NZ WHV.
Thank you for that...
Oz and UK have made reciprocal agreements on WHVs and examples include Japan and in the new year Italy will accept Aussies.
Well, as I said, the UK WHV is granted to Commonwealth citizens who are eligible, and it is not based at all on reciprocal agreements. There are many Commonwealth countries that do not have WHV for UK citizens (or any other citizens for that matter).
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

itsprathee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa interview questions Working Holiday Maker visa

hi
I m in India, I like to apply in WHM visa. have u got the visa?
what documents u submitted? pls. guide me...

thak you..
regards
shree

Originally posted by nimesh
Hello All,

I am located in India and submiitted my form to the British High Commission for the Working Holiday Maker scheme.

I have a sponsor letter and also a part-time job letter.

What kind of questions can i expect for my visa interview. I am married and am the father of a 1 yr old.

Please let me know asap. My interview date is 27th Nov 03

Regards,

Nimesh Dani