Visa Interview Prep

Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice
Default Visa Interview Prep

Hi,

I filed all my documents through the NVC and have been given an interview at the embassy in London. Haved looked over the Embassy website and checked my interview letter, I wanted to (paranoia) check that all I need to bring along to the interview is my passport and 3 colour visa photographs. That's it? I don't need to bring along duplicates of any documents, etc.

From reading other stuff on the forum, the impression I have of the interview is that it is a fairly straightforward affair lasting around 10 minutes or so (assuming I raise no red flags, so to speak). From this, I am assuming that there is no need to wear formal attire, etc. As for the 'interview', I've been given a time but I'm guessing that it is more like a doctor's surgery: turn up, register, and wait until you are called. And when it's done, you go off and pay for your visa + passport to be couriered to your address. I am missing anything? I am a bit concerned that it all seems so straightforward!

Regards,

Dan
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:48 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Visa Interview Prep

I'm not 100% sure what visa you're applying for from what you've said. It is a fairly straightforward process, but generally you need more paperwork than that. More details about exactly what visa it is and what you've received from them would be helpful.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
Hi,

I filed all my documents through the NVC and have been given an interview at the embassy in London. Haved looked over the Embassy website and checked my interview letter, I wanted to (paranoia) check that all I need to bring along to the interview is my passport and 3 colour visa photographs. That's it? I don't need to bring along duplicates of any documents, etc.

From reading other stuff on the forum, the impression I have of the interview is that it is a fairly straightforward affair lasting around 10 minutes or so (assuming I raise no red flags, so to speak). From this, I am assuming that there is no need to wear formal attire, etc. As for the 'interview', I've been given a time but I'm guessing that it is more like a doctor's surgery: turn up, register, and wait until you are called. And when it's done, you go off and pay for your visa + passport to be couriered to your address. I am missing anything? I am a bit concerned that it all seems so straightforward!

Regards,

Dan
There are a lot of visa interview experiences posted here; I'm not sure I would agree with your characterization of the day, but that's me.

You "should" (for safety's sake) take a folder with photocopies of everything you have submitted in support of your application. File under "Just In Case".

Formal attire? This argument comes up every now and again. I am in the 'Business Casual' camp, but others think jeans is fine.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I'm not 100% sure what visa you're applying for from what you've said. It is a fairly straightforward process, but generally you need more paperwork than that. More details about exactly what visa it is and what you've received from them would be helpful.
Yeah, apologies for the lack of clarity - it's an IR1. In terms of what I've received - the letter confirming my visa interview appointment went through all the documents needed and stated that they had received either the certified copies or originals. I don't know what else I would need to bring.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:01 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

In that case I totally agree with what meauxna said before. You should be fine with just the passport and photographs but you'd be best off taking copies of everything you've submitted to them in case there's any quibbles or uncertainty. I'm going for a K1 which requires more documentation at the interview but I'm starting to wonder if I'll need a pack mule to help me with the amount of "just in case" stuff I'm adding to the pile
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well, thanks for the reassurance - I'll bring along the 'just in case' pack - and sorry to hear that the K1 requires much more documentation. In my ignorance, I would have thought there wouldn't too much involved, given that it's a non-immigrant one but I guess the visa folks love a good bit of paperwork!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:14 pm
Badger Badger Badger

For the K1 you take all the stuff like police checks and proof of financial support etc. to be inspected at the embassy on the day of interview.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
Well, thanks for the reassurance - I'll bring along the 'just in case' pack - and sorry to hear that the K1 requires much more documentation. In my ignorance, I would have thought there wouldn't too much involved, given that it's a non-immigrant one but I guess the visa folks love a good bit of paperwork!
The K is a non-immigrant visa processed by (and like) an Immigrant Visa, because of its ultimate purpose (the story is, Ks didn't used to even file AOS; they just presented the visa + marriage certificate and = PR status.... well before my time anyway).

The same number/amount of documents are required. It's just that IVs now send them to the NVC before the interview, and Ks take them to the interview.