Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

which visa and help please for my situation

which visa and help please for my situation

Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which visa and help please for my situation

I took the... J1 as a post-doc, followed by 'obtain grant funding' to get a H1B, followed by... marriage to US citizen which resulted in a successful green card application, route.

However, I had a pretty solid case for the employer based GC, according to our lawyer. 'Pretty solid' being defined by $1,000,000 of federal funds provisionally made available to me to set up my own lab as an assistant prof. (didn't take that route either in the end, was not going anywhere)..

I defected now to the private sector, at least funding here is 'relatively' more stable.

From colleagues who have successfully obtained O1 and NIW's, they have been in roughly the top 10% of scientists in their field, judged by publications and past grant funding. This is anecdotal, though.

Grant funding overall here right now is hard to come by.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here as a senior engineering researcher on the O-1. I wouldn't say it was easy, none of my work has been published, but I was known in my very specific field.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I moved here as a senior engineering researcher on the O-1. I wouldn't say it was easy, none of my work has been published, but I was known in my very specific field.
I think that counts for a lot, are there not 10 or so letters of recommendation from top people in the field that you need? If you are known, much easier to get..

A buddy of mine needed multiple recommendations from foreign and domestic full professors, in bio sciences anyway..
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I think that counts for a lot, are there not 10 or so letters of recommendation from top people in the field that you need? If you are known, much easier to get..
Exactly. I think our attorneys saturated USCIS with letters.
The EB1-A greencard which I now have is a similar process, only they're looking for even more development since the O-1. Fortunately, I'd filed a patent.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

The EB1-A greencard which I now have is a similar process, only they're looking for even more development since the O-1. Fortunately, I'd filed a patent.
Ah, once you get into patent territory, I would hope your a shoe (shoo) in!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

batchy_21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for this its useful reading. I think the O-1 maybe too much of a mountain to climb, however I will talk to a lawyer. J-1 again I will look into.

I am about to send resumes to companies and universities.
I will keep plugging away.

Am I right in thinking it is best to telephone first before sending in resumes? or call after to chase up?

Does anyone know what recruitment agencies are like with visa sponsorship for their clients?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by batchy_21
Thanks all for this its useful reading. I think the O-1 maybe too much of a mountain to climb, however I will talk to a lawyer. J-1 again I will look into.

I am about to send resumes to companies and universities.
I will keep plugging away.

Am I right in thinking it is best to telephone first before sending in resumes? or call after to chase up?

Does anyone know what recruitment agencies are like with visa sponsorship for their clients?
Unfortunately, in the private sector that I work in, without authorization to work your application may get binned quite quickly, unless you are the only person in the world who can do the job. There are approx. 200+ applicants per position now, all freshly minted out of the HMS or MIT systems, most of those can work tomorrow. The competition is fierce.

All the above applies from my experience in the Boston area biosciences field, other parts of the US may vary.

Form my own personal point of view, academia is very different from the private sector, here, applying for both can lead to two very different paths. What would you like to do?

Finding a post-doc led to my J1 being very easy to obtain, though, I am not sure if there are certain rules (or nuances) that I was simply unaware of. I was very naive, straight out of grad school and my employer just took care of it.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 25th 2017 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for this its useful reading. I think the O-1 maybe too much of a mountain to climb, however I will talk to a lawyer.
NO !
That's exactly what I thought when it was suggested to me too - and, really, it didn't turn out to be too hard to do after all.

I can recommend the attorneys who handled our application, but they are not inexpensive.

My application was accepted within 36 hours of submission after all the worry - admittedly on special processing.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NO !
That's exactly what I thought when it was suggested to me too - and, really, it didn't turn out to be too hard to do after all.

I can recommend the attorneys who handled our application, but they are not inexpensive.

My application was accepted within 36 hours of submission after all the worry - admittedly on special processing.
Indeed..

Having seen the eye watering paperwork pile my buddy had to submit for his O1 application, a lawyer is almost mandatory. I think it cost him approx. $4000, I will check but that is in the right ball park, give or take, right Steveq?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Indeed..

Having seen the eye watering paperwork pile my buddy had to submit for his O1 application, a lawyer is almost mandatory. I think it cost him approx. $4000, I will check but that is in the right ball park, give or take, right Steveq?
I think ours (mine, and MrsQ + two sons was more), but the paperwork was epic. It was so big (30mm thick)we think that USCIS assessed it by weight
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

NO !

Thanks for that if you could let me know who the attorneys were that would be great !
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

My only issue, and correct me if i'm wrong (anybody), is that a job must be lined up before applying for the O1. Steve, is that correct?

If so, you need to find a position where the employer will be willing to wait quite a significant amount of time before you can actually start. I do not want to be a downer but this alone will be the most significant hurdle, then you start worrying about applying for the O1.

Significant edit: premium processing maybe available which will reduce waiting time, but, others will know far more.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 25th 2017 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately, in the private sector that I work in, without authorization to work your application may get binned quite quickly, unless you are the only person in the world who can do the job. There are approx. 200+ applicants per position now, all freshly minted out of the HMS or MIT systems, most of those can work tomorrow. The competition is fierce.

All the above applies from my experience in the Boston area biosciences field, other parts of the US may vary.

Form my own personal point of view, academia is very different from the private sector, here, applying for both can lead to two very different paths. What would you like to do?

Finding a post-doc led to my J1 being very easy to obtain, though, I am not sure if there are certain rules (or nuances) that I was simply unaware of. I was very naive, straight out of grad school and my employer just took care of it.
May sector is quite different to Bio-science and is more Environmental research and risk assessments. From my research so far Ecotoxicology/toxicology and certain teaching / and life science positions have been vacant on average 4 months and longer and cant seem to find the graduates or experienced US scientists.

I completed my PhD in 2009 and simply don't know if I could complete another post doc in such a gap from my last one. I don't see why not if I can secure funding, however I would have to look into trying to secure funding in the US for more research which might be difficult as President Trump seems to be cutting the EPA budget.... but that's another issue!!!.

Will see how to go about looking at funding research. Any advice as always greatly received thanks
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice as always greatly received thanks.
Well... since you ask: It sounds as though you're trying to find reasons not to move forward! Gap after PhD, like it makes a difference; O-1 too difficult even though it's not; self-doubt... etc.

Forgive me, but studies have repeatedly shown that women will usually apply for a job only if they meet all or most of the requirements... whereas men will apply for a job if they meet close to 50% of the requirements. I'm not sure why things are that way, but I've seen it repeatedly with my own graduate students.

Don't sell yourself short.

As for this - sadly, PetrifiedExPat is correct. Without existing work authorization your resume will likely get chucked in the bin post haste. IOW, don't call first and don't chase up afterwards. Do you have an address in the US that you can use for your resume? If not, you might want to try getting one from the UPS Store. What about a US-based phone number? There are several options available so that people can call a US-based number and you answer the call from the UK.

Ian
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well... since you ask: It sounds as though you're trying to find reasons not to move forward! Gap after PhD, like it makes a difference; O-1 too difficult even though it's not; self-doubt... etc.

Forgive me, but studies have repeatedly shown that women will usually apply for a job only if they meet all or most of the requirements... whereas men will apply for a job if they meet close to 50% of the requirements. I'm not sure why things are that way, but I've seen it repeatedly with my own graduate students.

Don't sell yourself short.

As for this - sadly, PetrifiedExPat is correct. Without existing work authorization your resume will likely get chucked in the bin post haste. IOW, don't call first and don't chase up afterwards. Do you have an address in the US that you can use for your resume? If not, you might want to try getting one from the UPS Store. What about a US-based phone number? There are several options available so that people can call a US-based number and you answer the call from the UK.

Ian
I could ask about an address in the US and or phone number as well thanks for the help.
Your probably right I always look at all the requirements and I am strict with myself habit I suppose! My husband saves all sorts of jobs and his motto is "don't ask don't get".. hate to say it but he is probably right !!. I am starting to think if they struggle to fill a post and if I am only 70% qualified my PhD can go along way to prove education, dedication etc. The J-1 visa I cant go for as I am over the age limit its from 18-30 apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.