Visa Help & advise Please

Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:13 pm
R23
Just Joined

R23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Help & advise Please

Hello,

Some advice needed if possible please as the internet is killing me with the roundabouts it send you on.

We have recently returned from a 8 week trip in the USA, I do a lot of business with the USA, two of my main suppliers are based in the USA.

We are now looking at moving to the USA, my wife is on a Romanian passport but has right to remain in the UK and has been here for the past 20 years, I am a UK citizen and both of our children are UK citizens.

My wife had a B1/B2 visa which was in a old passport which was misplaced and then found again but in the meantime I had cancelled and applied for a new Visa for her with her appointment being next month.

From my understanding a B1/B2 visa gives you open visits to the USA for 10 years but not able to stay there for longer than 6 months at one time.

What is the best Visa for us too get? I would like more information about investment as that seems a easy option but unsure if the best route to go down or too get sponsored etc so any advice is welcomed please.

If you need more information I am happy to answer too, we do not need to work in the USA however would like the option to if required to prevent boredom more than anything whilst kids are at school etc but our income will be from the UK.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Help & advise Please

There's no simple retirement immigrant visa for the US, there is an investment visa called the EB-5. It requires a minimum investment of $1.8 million and gets you a green card.
Other options are usually nonimmigrant visas like H-1B, L-1 and E visas. With the H-1B, an employer can sponsor you for a green card.
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
There's no simple retirement immigrant visa for the US, there is an investment visa called the EB-5. It requires a minimum investment of $1.8 million and gets you a green card.
Other options are usually nonimmigrant visas like H-1B, L-1 and E visas. With the H-1B, an employer can sponsor you for a green card.
Your employer can also sponsor you when you are on an L-1 .......
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R23
Hello,

Some advice needed if possible please as the internet is killing me with the roundabouts it send you on.

We have recently returned from a 8 week trip in the USA, I do a lot of business with the USA, two of my main suppliers are based in the USA.

We are now looking at moving to the USA, my wife is on a Romanian passport but has right to remain in the UK and has been here for the past 20 years, I am a UK citizen and both of our children are UK citizens.

My wife had a B1/B2 visa which was in a old passport which was misplaced and then found again but in the meantime I had cancelled and applied for a new Visa for her with her appointment being next month.

From my understanding a B1/B2 visa gives you open visits to the USA for 10 years but not able to stay there for longer than 6 months at one time.

What is the best Visa for us too get? I would like more information about investment as that seems a easy option but unsure if the best route to go down or too get sponsored etc so any advice is welcomed please.

If you need more information I am happy to answer too, we do not need to work in the USA however would like the option to if required to prevent boredom more than anything whilst kids are at school etc but our income will be from the UK.

Thanks
not sure what “open visits” means, but if the officer who you apply to admission thinks you are anything but a temporary visitor your will likely not be admitted and sent home…. Spending even close to 50% of your time here will likely trigger tax residency and also a reason to deny your application for entry at the border…

Your best options (assuming your have a larger company with staff in the UK) is to setup a US subsidiary and move on an L1a, giving your wife and kids L1bs allowing them to work for anyone.

Or you can go for a Green Card, the minimum for an EB5 went up a few years ago:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...vestor-program

Last edited by tht; Jan 3rd 2024 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R23
Hello,

We have recently returned from a 8 week trip in the USA, I do a lot of business with the USA, two of my main suppliers are based in the USA. OR

Thanks
Are you employed or self employed in the UK?

If employed and your employer has offices in the US then maybe an L-1 visa (sponsored by employer) could be an option.
If self employed then an investment visa , such as stated below an EB-5 might be the route. OR

Set up your own company and offices in the US and transfer yourself over - the UK company would have to continue in business

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jan 3rd 2024 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 5:41 pm
R23
Just Joined

R23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thank you for your response.
Sadly not clever enough for a H-1B and the L1 id like to keep my business in England.
if I set up a new company in the USA that’s not a option I presume to gain residence?
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R23
Hello,

Thank you for your response.
Sadly not clever enough for a H-1B and the L1 id like to keep my business in England.
if I set up a new company in the USA that’s not a option I presume to gain residence?
For the L1 you have to keep the business going in the UK, so that may be perfect.