Visa Approval Documents

Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Default Visa Approval Documents

Hi all,
Got a nice Fedex package from our company's US imigration Law Firm with the very formal looking I*** form (forget number) which is approval of our petition for my L1A visa.

I've called the US Embassy in london, made the interview appointment for Myself, my wife and my daughter.

One thing thats confusing me is that the document I got back from the government via law firm only mentions me, yet the chap at the embassy took details (passport no.s etc) for all 3 of us.

Should I have additional forms/docs already or is the norm that they apply at the embassy? The Embassy guy seemed to know the script. I'd call them to confirm but figured you're all not costing me £1.20 per minute and likely know as much as I need!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any clarification.
Daz
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Approval Documents

we had to fill in DS156 (thats from memory - might be rubbish) for each family member and there was also an additional form for any male adult (so only hubbie had to did that one - think is was DS 157 - again just from memory).
Wasnt difficult to fill in - basic biographical data - lots was N/a for the kids etc.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MsElui
we had to fill in DS156 (thats from memory - might be rubbish) for each family member and there was also an additional form for any male adult (so only hubbie had to did that one - think is was DS 157 - again just from memory).
Wasnt difficult to fill in - basic biographical data - lots was N/a for the kids etc.
Cheers MsElui...did you do that at the Embassy? Just trying to work out if the Law Firm should have sent me some more forms to complete before our interview date.

Think I'll email them anyway.

Daz
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

You should get something through from the embassy confirming your visa appointments (probably via email) and this will include a list of everything they want you to bring to the interview. I think it is the forms MsElui mentioned (they give you links for where to download these), plus the appointment letter, the receipt showing you've paid the fees, some photos and the approval notice you just got through from the lawyers.

Congratulations on your approval
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:18 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes we filled them out beforehand and took them with us.

Our firm actually used a visa agency as well as their company lawyers so we sent the forms handwritten to the agency and they typed up what was relevant - put N/A for everything else (we had put more than was required on quite a few questions) and then sent them to us to check and sign.

only thing to add to the good list socal local made was passports! If any of them are due to expire within the next year it may well be worth your while to renew it now so its something you dont have to do from the US later (where it costs more, means the visa will go in a long lasting passport and you wonmt have to carry an old one around and also wont have any issues with the date on the I94.

On the photo front I used standard english passport photos without any issue. The us format is actually wider but the extra width is just more background. Take spare copies of all photos though because if there are any minute scratches on the photos they can reflect in the embassy scanner and be unusable. They guy thought ours may have an issue (and we didnt have spare and the photo booth in the embassy was bust - but luckily the scratches didnt show up on the scanner so we were alright).
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

yes we filled them out beforehand and took them with us.

Our firm actually used a visa agency as well as their company lawyers so we sent the forms handwritten to the agency and they typed up what was relevant - put N/A for everything else (we had put more than was required on quite a few questions) and then sent them to us to check and sign.

only thing to add to the good list socal local made was passports! If any of them are due to expire within the next year it may well be worth your while to renew it now so its something you dont have to do from the US later (where it costs more, means the visa will go in a long lasting passport and you wonmt have to carry an old one around and also wont have any issues with the date on the I94.

On the photo front I used standard english passport photos without any issue. The us format is actually wider but the extra width is just more background. Take spare copies of all photos though because if there are any minute scratches on the photos they can reflect in the embassy scanner and be unusable. They guy thought ours may have an issue (and we didnt have spare and the photo booth in the embassy was bust - but luckily the scratches didnt show up on the scanner so we were alright).

Great thanks for that...I'll need to get a hold of the forms as I think I only have one set although they may be in there just haven't had a chance this week to look through everything the Imigration lawyer sent me back. There was a nice 3 page letter however ecplaining the history of our firm, my current job, future job and basically why they were hiring me rather than a local.

Daz
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Marek is an unknown quantity at this point

you get the forms on line from the USCIS web site and complete on line as they need an auto generayed bar code. it is quite straight forward. if you need a quick appointment try Brussels as it is very fast.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marek
you get the forms on line from the USCIS web site and complete on line as they need an auto generayed bar code. it is quite straight forward. if you need a quick appointment try Brussels as it is very fast.
Congrats on your visa, Marek. The OP says in his first post that he has set an appt for the family in London already.
I can guarantee, if you start posting around the net encouraging people to use a Consulate out of their District (and naming one specifically) you'll find that little emergency courtesy discontinued. I'd urge you to recommend it sparingly to preserve it for the future.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Started filling the forms in over the weekend and had a couple where I stopped and looked into thin air...Any suggestions or indeed what did you put for these?

Where it asks for Purpose of Trip:
Me - I'm assuming I put something like "intra company Transfer" or is should this be Business/personal etc?
Wife - Should this be the same?
Daughter - Should this be the same?

Where it states Address in the US, we don't have this yet as the company hasn't assigned our corporate property, again any suggestions.

For how long do you intend to stay I've taken the advice from an earlier thread and said as long as my visa allows us to...same answer for us all.

Who will pay for your trip?
Me: My Employer
Wife: Husbands Employer
Daughter: Fathers Employer

Do you intend to work in the US?
Me: Obviously yes and completed as necessary
Wife: Not sure what to say as she'll apply for permit after the first 3 months of being in the US

Do you intend to study in the US?
Daugher: She is only 2 but do I need to say yes and leave the school as To be Confirmed?

The remainder all seems fairly straight forward.

Any suggested responses much appreciated!!!

Darren

Last edited by lochdaz-of-blantyre; Sep 29th 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre

Where it asks for Purpose of Trip:
Me - I'm assuming I put something like "intra company Transfer" or is should this be Business/personal etc?
Wife - Should this be the same?
Daughter - Should this be the same?
think we put something like transfer (of husband, father)

Where it states Address in the US, we don't have this yet as the company hasn't assigned our corporate property, again any suggestions.
Think we put not yet known. but maybe stated City/State.

For how long do you intend to stay I've taken the advice from an earlier thread and said as long as my visa allows us to...same answer for us all.
yes something like subject to visa duration.

Who will pay for your trip?
Me: My Employer
Wife: Husbands Employer
Daughter: Fathers Employer
think we just named the employer here.
Do you intend to work in the US?
Me: Obviously yes and completed as necessary
Wife: Not sure what to say as she'll apply for permit after the first 3 months of being in the US
you - yes, wife yes subject to obtaining EAD. (ps you dont have to wait three months to apply - it can just take 3 months to get. Make sure you do it asap by snail mail for fastest results)

Do you intend to study in the US?
Daugher: She is only 2 but do I need to say yes and leave the school as To be Confirmed?
our agency said N/A. Think this question is more for the student type visas etc.

hope that helps
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks MsElui, they are really helpful!!

I really appreciate your time.

Best,
Darren
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

hey - your very welcome. I think my very first posts on this forum where actually a question about how to complete the DS156! so ive been there too lol!