What type of visa?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:56 am
Just Joined

bradley568 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What type of visa?

I have an L1-A visa for working in California. I would like my girlfriend to join me from Scotland but don't know what visa to apply for. She doesn't have any professional qualifications. Are there any types of jobs or voluntary positions that would be able to help get a visa?

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of
Default Re: What type of visa?

Well, seeing as the regulars don't seem to be online right now, I thought I might respond as best I can.

As far as I know, from the more expert folks here, the easiest way is marriage. Does she happen to have USC parents?

You will be told to read the wiki at the top of the page, specifically Pulaski's list of visas. See if she fits in anywhere. Sorry, I don't know how to link to it, but it is easy to find. Trust me, read it before you respond to the regulars. They are very helpful and they know loads about the process.

But just like God, they help those who help themselves!

Good luck! The others will be along soon enough.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradley568
I have an L1-A visa for working in California. I would like my girlfriend to join me from Scotland but don't know what visa to apply for. She doesn't have any professional qualifications. Are there any types of jobs or voluntary positions that would be able to help get a visa?

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.
The easiest way for her to come with you would be to get married and have her come as your spouse.

If she wants to get her own visa, you do need to read the "Pulaski's Ways" article in the Wiki. Here's the link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If they get married wouldn't she qualify for an L2?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

There have been posts about the possibility of getting a B2 cohabitating visa which if you can prove you lived together she might be able to stay for the duration of your L1A visa however she couldnt work. Having said that I have never heard of an actual successful case of a B2 cohabitaing visa with a L1A visa. I wonder if anybody out has?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by digbydog
There have been posts about the possibility of getting a B2 cohabitating visa which if you can prove you lived together she might be able to stay for the duration of your L1A visa however she couldnt work. Having said that I have never heard of an actual successful case of a B2 cohabitaing visa with a L1A visa. I wonder if anybody out has?
I have, some years back. She got very bored.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have, some years back. She got very bored.
I met a couple where I believe that was the situation - although I can't swear that was his exact visa.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

The B2 cohabitating visa linked to a L1A visa is bit like the loch ness monster of visas. Everybody has heard about it, a lot of potenital sightings but very few people have actually seen one in real life.....

Maybe when one is issued you have have to swear to never eveal to anyone your exact visa status otherwise the USA would be full of boyfriends and girlfriends tagging along......
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

The B2 cohabitating visa linked to a L1A visa is bit like the loch ness monster of visas. Everybody has heard about it, a lot of potenital sightings but very few people have actually seen one in real life.....

Maybe when one is issued you have have to swear to never eveal to anyone your exact visa status otherwise the USA would be full of boyfriends and girlfriends tagging along......
LOL well I just didn't think to ask the guy. But the gal did have the B2 cohabitating visa. His job sounded like it might fit L1A to me
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Its possible ..but lots of things have to be in place
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1414.html
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The B2 cohabitating visa linked to a L1A visa is bit like the loch ness monster of visas. Everybody has heard about it, a lot of potenital sightings but very few people have actually seen one in real life...
Funny you should mention the Loch Ness monster! Sheila and I were at Loch Ness earlier this year... and you'll never guess what we saw!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails What type of visa?-ian-nessie.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Funny you should mention the Loch Ness monster! Sheila and I were at Loch Ness earlier this year... and you'll never guess what we saw!

Ian
Brilliant ...looks to be the real thing
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Well thanks for the posts (including the Nessie ones). I'm not sure that a B2 would suit her since she'd like to work when she's here.

Are there any others that would allow her to work? Is the L2 unsuitable for co-habitants?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bradley568
Well thanks for the posts (including the Nessie ones). I'm not sure that a B2 would suit her since she'd like to work when she's here.

Are there any others that would allow her to work? Is the L2 unsuitable for co-habitants?
Not unsuitable, impossible, its for spouses.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

OK. Guess that's out for now then. Any other ones that are suitable and allow her to work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.