Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Onyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Visa to apply for too stay for 6 months?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that would lead to a rejection because "course" implies education, and there are visas for education, though admittedly not for the scenario you're describing.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing writing that. Couldn't think of a better word to use it though as it's usually called a course even if I was to pay them to do it whilst on a short-term holiday.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we are guessing because we do not understand what you will be doing for 6 months.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onyl
Yeah I was thinking the same thing writing that. Couldn't think of a better word to use it though as it's usually called a course even if I was to pay them to do it whilst on a short-term holiday.
If you are paying to learn something, it's more like studying, which is an F-1 (or maybe J-1) normally, but doesn't sound like this course qualifies for that visa.

If you are helping them, as an intern type of thing, and you are being compensated (such as accommodation), then it's more like a J-1 visa.

If you can get away with paying for and attending the course, without helping them with anything and without letting them provide your accommodation, I suggest doing some of it on a 90-day VWP visit. You get out of it what you get out of it, even if it's only half done. Do the other half on another VWP visit later this year, or next year.

Were you able to glean anything from the link I provided?

It really just doesn't sound like there is a visa for what you want to do. Talk it over with the company and see if any other foreigners have taken this course/done this internship, and what visa they used. If they say they used a B-2, then don't do it.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Onyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately the link also didn't truly answer the question. I've sent them another email asking for further information.

I've come to the conclusion that the best bet will probably be just ringing the US Embassy for some advice, if they say no then I'll just have to look at doing it elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I know it was a pretty much impossible question to answer but you've all helped a lot
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onyl
I've come to the conclusion that the best bet will probably be just ringing the US Embassy for some advice...
NO! The US Embassy is not the place to go for this kind of advice. They do the job of granting visas, but they don't do the job of assessing which visa someone qualifies for. Even if they do advise you, and you take that advice, and it's wrong, they are not held responsible...you are.

If you really need a professional answer, have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

Bear in mind the comments made are with a very incomplete understanding of what you want to do. You will need to be more forthcoming if you seek legal guidance.