Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

Wikiposts

Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Onyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Visa to apply for to stay for 6 months?

So I've been looking at a 6 (potentially 7 months however I recognize it'll probably have to be a 6 month visa) diving internship which is unpaid and if anything I'd be paying them for costs etc. Having looked at the Visas I got lost in the sea of different types of Visa so was wondering if anyone here could help?
After getting in contact with the company they mentioned just the B-2 however a second opinion would be hugely helpful. Also if I was to have to return to finish that, would it be extremely unlikely to get back into the US shortly after returning to the UK?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Visa to apply for too stay for 6 months?

Originally Posted by Onyl
So I've been looking at a 6 (potentially 7 months however I recognize it'll probably have to be a 6 month visa) diving internship which is unpaid and if anything I'd be paying them for costs etc. Having looked at the Visas I got lost in the sea of different types of Visa so was wondering if anyone here could help?
After getting in contact with the company they mentioned just the B-2 however a second opinion would be hugely helpful. Also if I was to have to return to finish that, would it be extremely unlikely to get back into the US shortly after returning to the UK?
Internships are usually J-1 visas, but diving might not fit into that category. Since you're not going to be employed by the company, the work visas are out. There might not be a visa available for this type of thing.

Your problem will be convincing the ConOff that you need a B-2 visa at all. If you can be gone for 6 months, it sounds like you don't have a job in your home country, correct? What about your home there, will you be renting it out while you're gone, or just paying for it sitting empty? You would need to show funds in the bank that show you can support yourself for that long in the USA without working. You would need a letter from the diving company stating that there's no pay involved, and that you won't be compensated by them in any way whatsoever...not even getting reimbursed for any expenses, food, lodging, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the B-2 is denied, it will affect future ESTA approvals for about 6 - 12 months, so you wouldn't even be able to visit the USA. You will forever have to declare the visa denial.

Sounds risky to me. Can you do some of the internship for 80 days now, and then 80 days later in the year?

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a similar post that might help. Not for diving, but for a theater internship. Sounds similar to your situation:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808131

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:32 am
Just Joined

I currently do have a job in the UK however will be leaving it to do this internship. In terms of housing I've moved back home so that won't effect me at all. Funds wouldn't be an issue as I'll ensure I have plenty to keep me going over the 6 months.
I am getting accommodation provided for the internship if that will effect it? Food and everything else will be out of my own pocket.

The idea of having it rejected is quite daunting however it's the best internship around so I would probably say it's worth the risk. Sadly it has to be done in one go (I'd have to beg them to allow me to do it in two goes if it does go over 6 months)
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I currently do have a job in the UK however will be leaving it to do this internship. In terms of housing I've moved back home so that won't effect me at all...
It affects you a lot, because you're meant to maintain residence outside of the US.

Them providing accommodation is a form of compensation, which isn't allowed.

It's no skin off their nose if you get a visa denial, or doing something you aren't allowed to on the visa you try and get but the consequences to you can be quite heavy.

There may not be a visa to do what you want.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:50 am

I currently do have a job in the UK however will be leaving it to do this internship. In terms of housing I've moved back home so that won't effect me at all.
My guess is that WILL affect you. You don't have anything to show the ConOff that you intend to return to the UK.

I am getting accommodation provided for the internship if that will effect it?
Yep, that will affect it, as far as a B-1 or B-2 goes. Accommodation is a form of payment in the eyes of immigration.

The idea of having it rejected is quite daunting however it's the best internship around so I would probably say it's worth the risk. Sadly it has to be done in one go (I'd have to beg them to allow me to do it in two goes if it does go over 6 months)
I'd go back to the company and tell them the B-2 is not the correct visa, and see what else they suggest. As I've said, there might not even be a visa available for this type of activity.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Hmm ok, so a B-2 is out of the question which is rather frustrating but it makes sense. I presume the internship visa would be the safest way to apply for it then, or would the company need to be licensed or something to give these out?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:19 am
Just Joined

In fact looking at it again, they also provide courses for tourists which includes the accomodation. Could this potentially be classed as a visit if I'm paying to do these courses however I'd also be helping out but it's more as an experience?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:21 am

Hmm ok, so a B-2 is out of the question which is rather frustrating but it makes sense. I presume the internship visa would be the safest way to apply for it then, or would the company need to be licensed or something to give these out?
Here's what the US Dept. of State (the government agency that issues visas) says about it:

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/intern/

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In fact looking at it again, they also provide courses for tourists which includes the accomodation. Could this potentially be classed as a visit if I'm paying to do these courses however I'd also be helping out but it's more as an experience?
Just do not do the helping put and you can go as a tourist.

I would split if over a couple of years so you can do it on the VWP.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just do not do the helping put and you can go as a tourist.
That's what I was now considering because I AM doing this as an extended course and it's not like I'm taking a job from another American. As people have said there isn't really a "correct" visa for this so if I describe it as a course I'm doing (which wouldn't be lying) over 6 months it might be OK?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:57 am
Account Closed

It is not my area, but I have a friend who is an instructor. He disappears to undertake courses, but 6 months? I thought the longest he went was a few weeks.

Never heard of that, would cost an arm and a leg for that duration.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is not my area, but I have a friend who is an instructor. He disappears to undertake courses, but 6 months? I thought the longest he went was a few weeks.

Never heard of that, would cost an arm and a leg for that duration.
You can simply purchase a course which would take about 10 days however they're not quite as in depth as what this is offering.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:03 am
Account Closed

VWP will get you 90 days.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... so if I describe it as a course I'm doing (which wouldn't be lying) over 6 months it might be OK?
I think that would lead to a rejection because "course" implies education, and there are visas for education, though admittedly not for the scenario you're describing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.