Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Using a Lawyer to gain a Green card slows things down?

Using a Lawyer to gain a Green card slows things down?

Old Jul 25th 2019, 6:56 am
Just Joined

biscuittin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using a Lawyer to gain a Green card slows things down?

I have just read this somewhere, is it true? I would never have considered not using one...
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a Lawyer to gain a Green card slows things down?

It doesn't change anything with respect to the processing times, but any time you introduce a 3rd party that has to receive all the information and relay it rather than it coming directly to you is going to slow things down a little.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biscuittin
I have just read this somewhere, is it true? I would never have considered not using one...
And in most cases, other than a work visa, I would not consider using one. Different strokes for different people and nature of the visa.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree, a Lawyer depends on your route and issues.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

From other threads, the OP's spouse is up for an O-1. I suspect this means an EB-1 green card, which is not DIY by any stretch of the imagination.

However, you need to distinguish between the petition (I-140) and application to adjust status (I-485). The employer does the former; you do the latter. For an I-140, the employer will almost certainly need an immigration attorney to handle the paperwork. In many cases, their attorney's services will be extended to the applicant when it comes time for the I-485. In my case, I received the offer of help, but would have had to pay for it myself. Having spent plenty of time on BE, I was confident I could file the I-485 myself (I did; was fine). This saved a little time, as I avoided the need for back and forth filling in the forms; however, I wouldn't say it was much quicker.

If you have anything that might make AOS difficult (e.g., arrests), then that's completely different. Do not pass go. Head straight for an experienced attorney.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 4:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biscuittin
is there some reason you are in a hurry?
ime it takes as long as it takes, diy.