Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

COPD and MS - could we get a visa?

COPD and MS - could we get a visa?

Old Jul 25th 2019, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Simin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COPD and MS - could we get a visa?

Hi to everyone.

We are from the UK and myself and my wife are ​​​​looking for some advise with regards to emigration to the USA. We both have professional jobs and both educated to Masters level. However, I have COPD and my wife has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), both under control through medication.

​​​​Would the health issues prevent a visa being granted initially with the view to obtaining a permanent residency visa? Any advice is appreciated .

Last edited by Simin; Jul 25th 2019 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPD and MS - could we get a visa?

Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to our US visa forums, where I'm sure the good folks there will be able to help.

Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

In itself, no it would not be a barrier to the visa being granted.

The cost of healthcare may be prohibitive based on your comorbidities though.

On what basis are you going to seek a 'permanent residence visa?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Are you aware of the process of obtaining a visa for the US? You can't just move here and look for a job. You must be sponsored by a prospective employer and they must process the application.

Go to the Wiki at the top of the forum and read Pulaski's Ways to see if there is anything you think may qualify you for consideration. Depending on your fields and the demand for those occupations, I think you may find it difficult, if not impossible, to find an employer willing to go through the process with the added handicap of the pre-existing conditions.

Sorry to be blunt and if you find a way, great, but be prepared for the disappointment.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simin
Hi to everyone.

We are from the UK and myself and my wife are ​​​​looking for some advise with regards to emigration to the USA. We both have professional jobs and both educated to Masters level. However, I have COPD and my wife has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), both under control through medication.

​​​​Would the health issues prevent a visa being granted initially with the view to obtaining a permanent residency visa? Any advice is appreciated .
If you can find a US employer to sponsor your visa, your health issues won't prohibit a visa.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More a money issue, does the job come with good health insurance?
Old Jul 29th 2019, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Simin...if you have any questions about health insurance ie cost of co-pays, deductibles, scripts etc, I suggest you open a new thread in the Main US Forum. Thanks.