Hepatitis B Child Vaccines?

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

brian3kb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hepatitis B Child Vaccines?

Did anyone have their kids have the HepB vaccine on the day of the medical?

Did it hold anything up with the interview process? And how did you finish the follow-up shots?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hepatitis B Child Vaccines?

Most of the people I work with get their kid's vaccines done by the child's own GP/pediatrician. Especially for the younger ones as it's a lot less scary than having it done by a stranger in a strange place.
Follow-ups done in the USA can be done either by the pediatrician, at Walgreens/CVS/Grocery store depending on insurance and whether the parents prefer a pediatrician or a pharmacist. Schools are usually ok with admittance provided the first of the series is already given.
there is also the 'free" or "reduced cost" clinics run by the county health services if your US health insurance hasn't kicked in yet.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Oh shoot! I should clarify that this is for a medical in London at the US Embassy in the UK. - Sorry!

We have been to our GP here, but they will not provide Hepatitis B for the kids, either free on the NHS or paid; So we have visited 3 private medical centres (all out of stock of the child vaccine), and 4 pharmacies that offer it and allow us to book in, but upon arrival, refuse to give it as their guidelines state it is not a requirement for travel to the USA. It's been a frustrating few weeks - I plan on calling the Knightsbridge medical centre in London again tomorrow to see if I can get the info on the process if done on the day of the medical, they took down my number but have not yet returned a call from last week.

My concern is that the kids will not have completed the full course of the vaccine before the date of our interview, so I'm trying to find out if this could delay our visa outcome.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian3kb
Oh shoot! I should clarify that this is for a medical in London at the US Embassy in the UK. - Sorry!

We have been to our GP here, but they will not provide Hepatitis B for the kids, either free on the NHS or paid; So we have visited 3 private medical centres (all out of stock of the child vaccine), and 4 pharmacies that offer it and allow us to book in, but upon arrival, refuse to give it as their guidelines state it is not a requirement for travel to the USA. It's been a frustrating few weeks - I plan on calling the Knightsbridge medical centre in London again tomorrow to see if I can get the info on the process if done on the day of the medical, they took down my number but have not yet returned a call from last week.

My concern is that the kids will not have completed the full course of the vaccine before the date of our interview, so I'm trying to find out if this could delay our visa outcome.
They only need to have started the course of vaccinations at the time of the interview. The rest can be done later in the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2019, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They only need to have started the course of vaccinations at the time of the interview. The rest can be done later in the USA.

Rene

Thanks Rene, this is just what I was looking for!
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:34 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over on a non-immigrant visa in 2014 and our GP had no problem giving the boys their first 2 Hep B vaccinations before we left. They had to have it in order to start school in PA. Maybe that would be better leverage?
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you specified to the GP or other clinics that you are not visiting the US but going there to live and that the children need the first course of treatment before entering the US and getting their visas? And that is a requirement for the visa that they have this?
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We moved over on a non-immigrant visa in 2014 and our GP had no problem giving the boys their first 2 Hep B vaccinations before we left. They had to have it in order to start school in PA. Maybe that would be better leverage?
That's certainly worth a try, I think a lot of this is they don't know the requirements and don't have the time to find out if what we are saying is fact - they also may have tightened their belts on giving out these vaccines for free, not that we object to paying, it's just finding somewhere that will take our money to give the kids what they need!
​​​
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Have you specified to the GP or other clinics that you are not visiting the US but going there to live and that the children need the first course of treatment before entering the US and getting their visas? And that is a requirement for the visa that they have this?
Yes, they are fully aware this is for immigration purposes rather than just a holiday. GP have told us we need to go private, the private clinics are currently struggling to get the child's version of the vaccine, we have a few more private clinics to try, so fingers crossed we can find somewhere willing and with stock of the vaccines.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 7:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian3kb
That's certainly worth a try, I think a lot of this is they don't know the requirements and don't have the time to find out if what we are saying is fact - they also may have tightened their belts on giving out these vaccines for free, not that we object to paying, it's just finding somewhere that will take our money to give the kids what they need!
​​​
Our school district had an online pdf flyer that we could have printed out if necessary, maybe have a look at your school district pages?
Old Jul 30th 2019, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Will they not have the vaccine available at the medical interview in London? I was missing the MMR (I'm old so had separate Measles and Rubella vaccinations) so I had the first in the course there. I didn't have to wait for the rest of the MMR injections, I was approved immediately. I can't remember how much it was but it wasn't too expensive. Might be worth phoning and asking if it'll be available on the day.

Last edited by PootleK; Jul 30th 2019 at 11:44 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 30th 2019, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PootleK
Will they not have the vaccine available at the medical interview in London? I was missing the MMR (I'm old so had separate Measles and Rubella vaccinations) so I had the first in the course there. I didn't have to wait for the rest of the MMR injections, I was approved immediately. I can't remember how much it was but it wasn't too expensive. Might be worth phoning and asking if it'll be available on the day.
Yes, I called to check availability last week and was informed there is currently a national shortage of the hep b vaccine in the UK and that they would be unable to guarantee stock of it (as we do not yet have an interview date, I haven't arranged the medicals yet). But on a plus, we did find a pharmacy that had stock of the child hep b vaccines we need, but only 4 doses, the last two they have put on back-order for us as they are required at 0 days, 1 month and 6 month intervals. The full course per child was £150 each at the pharmacy.

We are 5 hours drive away from London, so the fewer trips down there the better!