Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USA citizenship would I be eligible?

USA citizenship would I be eligible?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Linzalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA citizenship would I be eligible?

Hello firstly and thanks to so many posting!!
I have enjoyed reading so many posts to try and help with my decision to move to USA. I have visited America on several occasions and love everything about the country. I am from the uk but would really like to live in America rather than the short visit.
I have not really thought about where as there's so many places that intrigue me. I work for the police and my husband is a hairdresser. I am not a police officer but have skills in my area of work and have a police and criminal investigations degree. However I would be willing to totally change my job and take on a new career.
I would appreciate any advise on the best route for us to move to the us. I would be willing to move for 1 year and keep applying or something similar
Thank you!
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA citizenship would I be eligible?

I'm afraid you've not so far written anything that would suggest you would have the opportunity to live and work in the US.

Look for yes answers here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linzalin
I have visited America on several occasions and love everything about the country.
Respectfully, while I understand what you mean... that can't possibly be true.

I would be willing to totally change my job and take on a new career.
That would be a mistake. Don't change jobs/career because you think there might be a US visa in it at some unknown point in the future. That's no way to live!

I would appreciate any advise on the best route for us to move to the us.
There are only so many ways to get to the US to live/work. Start here. If there is a visa that suits your education/skills... go for it. Read first, then ask questions. Read all the links also.

Edit to add: I just re-read your thread title. In your situation, you won't be eligible to become a US citizen until you've been a US permanent resident (= green card) for 5 years. You won't get a green card unless a US company sponsors you for one... and that will happen only after you are in the US on an employment-based visa. Start with the visa... that's the most important link in the chain.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 22nd 2012 at 9:43 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian for your comments and advise. Its really difficult to get my question across in a short paragraph where I dont discuss my life story and all the reason as to why I would want to leave the UK and secondly, why I would chose the USA. Yes, there are factors to the US that are negative but I think sometimes, they could be boundaries to not taking the risk and the steps to immigrate.
I shall have a look into the employment visa
Thanks again
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly do you do for work though?

Would a private company really be willing to spend thousands to bring someone over?

Think of it as something very unlikely to happen and have a 5-10 year plan to make it more viable and get on with your life and if it happens, it happens.

You should also seriously consider other EU countries, where you won't need a visa, if all you want is a change of scenery.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Bob, thanks for your message. your probably right, a company would not spend thousands for me to move.
EU countries are very similar to the UK. i have considered but thought I would raise some questions and ask for advise first on USA.
I agree with the plan suggestion. I would definately make sure I was thinking ahead rather than a last minute decision as I would want to it to be well thought through but then some things are out of my control, like visa and sponsers.