USA business but with UK offices?

Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Bell85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA business but with UK offices?

Hello all!

I am new to this forum and can already see how great of a community it is.. so i thought this may be a great place to ask for some advice!

I am in the UK and currently in the process of starting an online crowd-funding platform (kick-starter..indiegogo..and so on) but not sure of where to launch the platform for use.

The US was an option.. but, my question is - Can you have an online platform registered in the UK but only open to campaigns and donators in the US?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to figure out if I would have to apply for visa's in the event that the business would need to be registered and operating in US.

I am not too sure how it works when your business is solely run online.

I really would appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction.

Thank you

Sibel
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA business but with UK offices?

Originally Posted by Bell85
Can you have an online platform registered in the UK but only open to campaigns and donators in the US?
Yes... but how would you restrict donations to the US? IP address filtering? ISP filtering? And why would you want only US donations?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to figure out if I would have to apply for visa's in the event that the business would need to be registered and operating in US.
You don't need a visa to start/register a business in the US, or to conduct business meetings. You will need a visa if you plan to be in the US actively working for the business.

I am not too sure how it works when your business is solely run online.
First question to answer: If the business is solely online, why would you need to even register the business in the US or, in fact, be in the US yourself?

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well we don't even know what the business is so it's impossible to answer the question, even on-line businesses have to have some sort of permanent establishment somewhere.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well we don't even know what the business is...
Sure we do - he said so in the OP.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh he said he's launching one, I thought he said he was using one.

Well the permanent establishment is in the UK so it would have to be registered in the UK and if it does business in the US then it has to comply with US tax laws in relation to any US-source income. Which if it's a corporation means filing an 1120-F every year and paying US corporation tax, if any. And then claiming a UK foreign tax credit.

So yes it can be done legally, but filing an 1120-F is not for amateurs.