Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H-1b visa interview - bank statements necessary?

H-1b visa interview - bank statements necessary?

Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default H-1b visa interview - bank statements necessary?

Hi all,

Is it reasonable to expect to be asked about personal finances at an h-1b visa interview? If so I assume you would be asked to show bank statements?

I did a little search on h-1b bank statements and didn't find anything much and the last post was in 2009.

Thank you
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H-1b visa interview - bank statements necessary?

What has you personal finances to do with a work visa?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered if I was expected to show that I could sustain myself financially while I get started with my new job?

On those lines I wondered if questioning personal finances was a common question at a h-1b visa interview?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the requirements is that you get paid the going rate.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
I wondered if I was expected to show that I could sustain myself financially while I get started with my new job?

On those lines I wondered if questioning personal finances was a common question at a h-1b visa interview?
Don't think they care.

As I remember we were only asked a very basic question about what work my husband was going to do, and how long we had been married. Husband didn't know that one

It was a formality, and that is the impression I get from others who have reported back on BE.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't think they care.

As I remember we were only asked a very basic question about what work my husband was going to do, and how long we had been married. Husband didn't know that one

It was a formality, and that is the impression I get from others who have reported back on BE.
Although the risk of having an H1B visa denied at the consulate is low, I would be careful about calling at a "formality". If your employer has shady finances or contracts, it can be refused.

They usually do not ask for bank statements. At the time of a renewal, they may ask for evidence that the employer is paying what they said they would.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
Although the risk of having an H1B visa denied at the consulate is low, I would be careful about calling at a "formality". If your employer has shady finances or contracts, it can be refused.

They usually do not ask for bank statements. At the time of a renewal, they may ask for evidence that the employer is paying what they said they would.
Sorry yes, to clarify, ours was. No doubt there could be more intense scrutiny, I just haven't seen that reported on here.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Ok, thank you for your replies. From what I can see it seems like the consensus is that taking bank statements to the embassy for the H-1b interview will not be necessary.

With regards to some of the oer comments about the wage - I will be taking some evidence that I have been offered the wage consistent with the petition.

Not sure if this matters but this will be a new application that was petitioned by a university. It wasn't an application to extend or renew an H-1b. I had seen posts to suggest that taking bank statements may be useful if you are asking for a renewal as evidence that your employer is doing what they said they would.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Hello everyone,

So the h-1b visa interview went well and I got approved. I'm not sure if anyone is still concerned about the delays due to the computer glitch, but from my experience no delay was apparent. I interviewed on a Tuesday and had the passport delivered on Friday.

Ok so my next question concerns the point of entry. I will take the visa, passport and h-1b petition approval letter. Is anything else necessary?

Also it's been two years since I was a j-1 holder - do you still need to complete an i-94 (not sure if that's right but it was the white form on the plane that was sort of a landing card?!)

Thank you
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Passport, visa and I-797 should suffice. I also would have a copy of the I-129 "just in case" but CBP never asked for it. The paper I-94 is no longer used for air travel. An electronic I-94 will be generated, it is a good idea to print it out from the CBP website.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The I-94 arrival system is now online so you don't complete any visa form on the plane any more just the customs form. If you need a copy of the I-94 for your driving licence then you go to the website and print it out.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies.

So I-129 is something I don't remember seeing before. What is this? Is it the petition application?

If the I-94 is now online when and how do I need to complete it?

Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

You don't complete anything - it is automated. When you arrive the agent will process you, add your arrival into the system and hey presto you're good to go. Once you've arrived, google I-94 and go to the website - follow the instructions and print it out!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
Thank you for your replies.

So I-129 is something I don't remember seeing before. What is this? Is it the petition application?

Thank you.
Yes. My employer always sent me a copy along with the I-797. The consulate used to require it but that has changed. CBP never asked for it.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

Id say better to take things you dont need, than regret something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.